[net.auto] 1hp/ci

jeffm@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff McMeekin) (09/01/83)

According to Road & Track 1983 Car specifications the following
qualify or are very close to qualifying for membership in the
1 horsepower per cubic inch of displacement club.

Car		  	cu in.   hp
Alfa GTV 6/2.5		152	154
Aston Martin Lagonda	326	325 (est)
Audi 5000 Turbo		131	130
Audi Quarttro		131	156
Ferrari 308GTSi		179	205
Ferrari Mondial 8	179	205
Fiat Spider Turbo	122	120
Thunderbird 2.3 Turbo	140	142
Lotus Esprit		133	160
Lotus Esprit Turbo	133	210 (!)
Maserati Biturbo	153	180
Mustang 2.3 Turbo	140 	142 (est)
Capri 2.3 Turbo		140	142 (est)
Saab 900 Turbo		121	135
Volvo GLT		130	127

I don't understand why the Mustang and Capri hp values are estimates.
I assume they have the same engine as in the Thunderbird.

Throw out the turbos and only the Alfa, Lagonda, Ferrari's and Lotus qualify.

ark@rabbit.UUCP (09/14/83)

It is not strange that 1hp/ci is routine for motorcycles
and difficult for automobiles.  Remember:  auto engines
tend to be 4-cycle and motorcycle engines are generally
2-cycle.  Also, motorcycle engines are generally higher RPM.

tgg@hou5e.UUCP (09/15/83)

About 2 vs. 4 stroke motorcycles....

Not true! Most motorcycle engines are now going 4-cycle, at least for
the street. Even diehard fin-ringing, blue-smoking manufacturers like
Kawasaki and Susuki (anybody remember "Ram Air Cooling"?) have all
converted to 4-cycle engines.

I think the real reasons for 1hp/cc in bikes are:
	1 - Peakier power curves on bikes than cars.
	2 - Less durablility in bike engine designs than cars (they run
	    closer to the "hairy edge").
	3 - Less pollution control as a whole for bikes than cars.
	4 - Much more attention is paid to breathing, scavenging, etc.
	    in bikes than cars.
	4 - ?

	Tom Gulvin		ATT ISL	Holmdel, NJ

kurtk@tektronix.UUCP (Kurt Krueger) (09/19/83)

Seems strange that 1hp/ci is quite a big deal in the auto world but
it is basic to motorcycles. In fact, less than 1hp/ci for a motor-
cycle would relagate it to the gutless class.

jsf007@trsvax.UUCP (09/29/83)

#R:tektroni:-135500:trsvax:55200014:000:361
trsvax!jsf007    Sep 21 08:37:00 1983

***** trsvax:net.auto / rabbit!ark /  5:38 pm  Sep 13, 1983
It is not strange that 1hp/ci is routine for motorcycles
and difficult for automobiles.  Remember:  auto engines
tend to be 4-cycle and motorcycle engines are generally
2-cycle.  Also, motorcycle engines are generally higher RPM.
----------
Motorcycle engines DO NOT tend to be 2-cycle anymore!!!!!!

philw@tekcae.UUCP (Philip White) (11/26/83)

The question "why can't they make car engines anymore
with over one horsepower per cubic inch?" was discussed
at length a couple of months ago in this net.
Someone pointed out that motorcycle engines routinely
produce over 1 horsepower per cubic inch these days,
even if cars don't.
   I think I can explain why this is - the smaller
motorcycle engines rev higher.
HORSEPOWER = K * TORQUE * RPM   where K is a constant.
If engines are compared on the basis of peak torque per
displacement volume, motorcycle and car engines of all
types are extremely close.
  I looked at seven motorcycles from Cycle magazine, versus
seven cars from Road & Track.  They were selected by
being the first seven I ran across.  The bikes ranged from
.055 to .062 ft-lbs/cc (love those units), while cars
were between .051 and .060 ft-lbs/cc.  The bike mean was
5% above the car mean, which is not much difference.
   The bike engines were all smaller and therefore could
rev higher, with torque peaking at higher rpm than for the cars.
Therefore the average bike has more power at peak torque
than a car at its peak torque, per unit displacement volume.
It should then be no surprise that power at the power peak
rpm will also be higher for bikes than for cars.

       Phil White   Tektronix, Beaverton, OR
USENET:  {allegra, decvax, ihnp4, ucbvax} !tektronix!tekcae!philw
   (or)     {cbosg, eagle, pur-ee, ucbvax} !teklabs!tekcae!philw

jjd@bbncca.ARPA (James Dempsey) (11/27/83)

xxx

It is not only motorcycles which can exceed 1hp/cu in.  If you look at
cars like the Boxer, Countach and Esprit Turbo I belive you will find
they exceed this limit.  In fact, my wife's car is a lowly Nissan Puslar
Turbo and has 1.5l (90 in^3) and 100hp.  This  is over 1hp/cu in.

Keep the hp coming!

	--Jim--

jjd@bbncca.ARPA (11/27/83)