[comp.unix.i386] Wyse 60s

aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) (08/15/89)

In article <5992@lynx.UUCP> m5@lynx.uucp (Mike McNally) writes:

>I should also add that the Wyse 60 is just great if you need something to
>add the scent of burning electronic parts to your office.  We bought
>six or eight 60's; they are all sitting on the floor in a corner of the
>lab now.  After less than a year, *each and every one* literaly burned
>out (like smoke comes out the top and of course it stops working).  Some
>have done so more than once, after being repaired by Wyse for the bargain
>price of $175.  We have talked with other Wyse customers with similar ---
>no, identical --- experiences.

see below...

>Don't buy a Wyse 60.  They suck.  Sure, they have lot's of intelligence, but
>reliability is nonexistant.  There's also this nifty feature: when the
>host starts sending lots of stuff at high baud rates, the terminal begins
>*ignoring the keyboard*.  The Wyse technical support people I've talked
>to admit this, but they don't think it's a problem.  What a laugh.
>
>I guess it's possible that the entire thing has been completely redesigned,
>and now is the greatest little terminal on earth, but I doubt it.  And
>also, I don't particularly hate Wyse; we have lots of 50's that work fine
>(well, they have the endearing "eat a space for attributes" feature...).
wha?  you mean standout glitch?  so do the 60s, I think.  You can get
around it by using the terminal's prot mode for standout and get
non-standout-glitch functionality out of it.  We use it here.

>Mike McNally                                    Lynx Real-Time Systems
>uucp: {voder,athsys}!lynx!m5                    phone: 408 370 2233

Another perspective: we have about a dozen Wyse 60s here in use for
about a year or so with virtually no problems. (Only problem was some
wierdness in vt100 emulation, for which they gave us replacement ROMs
that took care of the problem).  I used one until I switched
departments, and I really miss it.  Some "extra" features not found
on the 50s or most other terminals I've used:  longer function key
values, more emulations, Wyseworks (calculator, etc.), constant time
display, etc.  Going back to the Wyse 50 is like driving a bad rental
car.  *Boy*, am I sick of losing characters 5+ of my function
keys whenever the terminal is powered off; I finally broke down and
wrote a script to change fkeys thru software.  The extra emulations
were really nice; I could pop into setup and turn my terminal into
a block mode IBM 3101 for mainframe dialups and TSO use in a flash.
(Never did run into compatibility trouble even in mainframe use).
We have had too-frequent trouble with the older 30s and 50s, but the
60s have been humming along.

Perhaps your electricity is not completely stable?  Or your ethernet
is possessed?  :-]

--
    Alan S. Denney  @  Informix Software, Inc.
         {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland                 "I want to live!

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (08/16/89)

aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) writes:

>wha?  you mean standout glitch?  so do the 60s, I think.

You think wrong. The wyse 60 does not suffer from standout gliches
or spaces being taken. Unless it's set up in Wyse 50 emulation mode,
off course.

>Going back to the Wyse 50 is like driving a bad rental car.

But it shure is a fast rental car! When set at 38400 baud, the Wy50
is more then twice as fast as a Wy60. The Wy60 has the same
processor , but it runs a much more complex program.

I really don't understand why terminal manufacturers still use
Z80's and the like. Computers are getting faster and cheaper
all the time, but this evolution does not seem to take place
for terminals. It's more like a de-evolution.

Please note that follow-ups have been redirected to comp.terminals.
--
Pim Zandbergen                                 internet : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                                uucp     : ..!uunet!ctisbv!pim

clewis@eci386.uucp (Chris Lewis) (08/26/89)

People have been making noises about Wyse60 reliability.  A comment:

I've been working with wyse60's for about 2 and a half years, and
have known about 60 of them over this time.

I like them a lot, though a few people I know (Hi Greg!) aren't particularly
fond of the wyse60 command set w.r.t. terminfo etc and some relatively
minor (to me, not Greg) botches.  (Greg sets his wyse60's to vt100 mode - then
again he uses *emacs* (gasp ;-)).

Two years ago, the wyse60's perceived reliability was very good - not a single
failure in a couple dozen or so over 18 months.  Some distributors in our area
are shipping 10's of thousands per year.

Lately, however, quality control appears to have disappeared.  We've been
getting DOA rates in excess of 25% of new installs, and >50% after three
months.  Not to mention the wyse60 I once installed that looked like somebody
had rammed a spear into the keyboard jack (without *any* damage to the
packaging - how on earth did this happen????   Don't they test them
anymore???)...

One particularly annoying terminal has had its keyboard replaced 4 times,
and goes into brain-dead mode if it's left on for more than a couple of hours -
and the monitor has been repaired once or twice.  Damn thing is still busted.

Frankly, pure junk now.

Until Wyse gets their QA working again, I don't recommend wyse60's.

Not at all.

[Makes you wonder whether QA isn't actively sabotaging the things]
--
Chris Lewis, R.H. Lathwell & Associates: Elegant Communications Inc.
UUCP: {uunet!mnetor, utcsri!utzoo}!lsuc!eci386!clewis