[comp.unix.i386] 386/ix at386 terminfo corrections

pinard@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Francois Pinard) (08/25/89)

Hello, people.  Here are some corrections I made to at386 and relative
terminfo descriptions to improve the working of GNU Emacs and others.
This was applied on ISC 2.0.1 release.  Comments welcome.

1) Removed xt and ht=\t : they trigger bugs somewhere.
2) Added km : we can generate 8-bits with a suitable ttymap.
3) Corrected indn from \E[%P1%dS to \E[%p1%dS : a real bug.
4) Removed invis and is2 : the sequences used are undocumented.
5) Added ri=\E[T : it was probably forgotten.
5) Corrected rin from \E[S to \E[%p1%dT : a real bug.

I've been recently exposed to Sun, Microport and Interactive Unixes.
It seems that none of these suppliers were able to provide a correct
termcap/terminfo description of their own console.  This is rather
amazing, and slightly deceiving.
--
Franc,ois Pinard                                    pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
(514) 588-4656           ``Vivement GNU!''          ...!uunet!iros1!pinard

vjs@calcite.UUCP (Vernon Schryver) (08/27/89)

In article <1122@mannix.iros1.UUCP>, pinard@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Francois Pinard) writes:
> Hello, people.  Here are some corrections I made to at386...
> 1) Removed xt and ht=\t : they trigger bugs somewhere.

I found in 2.0.2 that ht works ok with set tab stops, or `stty tab3`.  There
seems to be a bug in the driver which makes setting a tab at position 16
fail every other time.  Wierd.

> 4) Removed invis and is2 : the sequences used are undocumented.

Display(7) in the "386/ix Operating System Guide" with the #@##%! wire
binding which comes with 2.0.2 lists \E[8m as something which does invis,
unlike the \E[9m in the 2.0.2 entry.  In 2.0.2, is2=\E[0;10;38m   38 is not
listed in display(7), but seems innoculous.  The rest is good.  I added
\E[2l\E?7h to is2 after getting competely befuddled by the results of vt100
termcaps and line noise.

> ...[other good fixes]...

Still other 2.0.2 oddities include:
	cbt=\E[Z is missing
	clear=\Ec is much short (size matters over a modem)
	dl1=\E[m shorter
	ech=\E[%p1%dX missing
	el1=\E[1K\E[X missing
	hpa=\E[%i%p1%dG missing
	ich1=\E[@ shorter
	il1=\E[L shorter

> I've been recently exposed to Sun, Microport and Interactive Unixes.
> It seems that none of these suppliers were able to provide a correct
> termcap/terminfo description of their own console.  This is rather
> amazing, and slightly deceiving.
> --
> Franc,ois Pinard                                    pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
> (514) 588-4656           ``Vivement GNU!''          ...!uunet!iros1!pinard

Notice that at least one of these companies has signed on to the QA, test-the-
quality-in-after-omitting-during-design-and-implementation bandwagon and
has zillions of people whose job it is to do nothing but test.  This is
more evidence for my conclusion, born of bitter experience, that many QA
and test mavens rank below real estate agents, used car salesmen, and
lawyers in terms of usefulness, something-for-nothing baloney, and
honesty.  Then there are CASE quacks and computer salesmen...

Vernon Schryver
vjs@calcite.uucp     or    ...{sgi,pyramid}!calcite!vjs

tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) (08/27/89)

In article <63@calcite.UUCP> vjs@calcite.UUCP (Vernon Schryver) writes:
>Still other 2.0.2 oddities include:
>	clear=\Ec is much short (size matters over a modem)

I don't think this will go -- "ESC c" is much stronger than "ESC [ 2 J".
The former means RESET including losing windows, fonts and whatnot.
The latter is just supposed to blank the current window and home the
cursor within it.
--
"We walked on the moon --	((	Tom Neff
	you be polite"		 )) 	tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

vjs@calcite.UUCP (Vernon Schryver) (08/28/89)

In article <14595@bfmny0.UUCP>, tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
> I don't think this will go -- "ESC c" is much stronger than "ESC [ 2 J".
> The former means RESET including losing windows, fonts and whatnot.
> The latter is just supposed to blank the current window and home the
> cursor within it.
> --
> "We walked on the moon --	((	Tom Neff
> 	you be polite"		 )) 	tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

Thanks, you're right.  I did not pay enough attention to the 2.0.2 manual
which says \Ec "clears the screen" while \E[2J "erases [the] window."
(Obvious difference :-)  Upon experimenting, the only difference I can find
is the effect on fonts, since the 2.0.2 driver does not appear to support
windows (i.e. locked lines).

Display(7) says, apparently correctly, that FF dos the same thing as \Ec.
So if you prefer to reset the current font, FF is a shorter & better choice.