[comp.unix.i386] termio question

al@inebriae.UUCP (Al Evans) (08/27/89)

Since I installed ISC 386/ix 2.0.2, I have twice run into the following
problem:

Some pieces of software (specifically, bnews and Nethack 3.0f) depend
upon the existence of the TIOCGWINSZ ioctl call in determining their
strategies for getting the number of rows and columns the current terminal
supports. In these two case, at least, the software assumes that
#ifdef TIOCGWINSZ, there is also a defined structure winsize. My
copy of /usr/lib/sys/termio.h does not define this structure, nor does
the man page for termio(7) say anything about the ioctl call or the
structure. I would really prefer to find out what the proper data
structure is, and add it to termio.h -- hacking around this in the
source is too ugly for my excruciatingly correct esthetic senses :-).
					--Al Evans--
--
Al Evans    {tntdev,texbell,ssbn}!inebriae!al
            al@inebriae.WLK.COM

jackv@turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (08/28/89)

In article <413@inebriae.UUCP> al@inebriae.UUCP (Al Evans) writes:

[ stuff about needing the structure winsize for nethack & news]

>My copy of /usr/lib/sys/termio.h does not define this structure...
>I would really prefer to find out what the proper data
>structure is, and add it to termio.h -- hacking around this in the
>source is too ugly for my excruciatingly correct esthetic senses :-).

Really Al! Is it all that hard to do a simple grep of the relevant directories?
If you had you would find the structure you need in /usr/include/sys/ptem.h.
Or could it be that you didn't install the Streams package?? If not, there's
your answer.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (08/28/89)

al@inebriae.UUCP (Al Evans) writes:

|Some pieces of software (specifically, bnews and Nethack 3.0f) depend
|upon the existence of the TIOCGWINSZ ioctl call in determining their
|strategies for getting the number of rows and columns the current terminal
|supports. In these two case, at least, the software assumes that
|#ifdef TIOCGWINSZ, there is also a defined structure winsize. My
|copy of /usr/lib/sys/termio.h does not define this structure, nor does

Just #include <sys/stream.h> and <sys/ptem.h>, in that order.
--
Pim Zandbergen                                 internet : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                                uucp     : ..!uunet!ctisbv!pim

al@inebriae.UUCP (Al Evans) (08/28/89)

In article <6357@turnkey.gryphon.COM> jackv@turnkey.gryphon.COM writes:

>Really Al! Is it all that hard to do a simple grep of the relevant directories?
[line deleted]
>Or could it be that you didn't install the Streams package?? If not, there's
>your answer.

Indeed, it IS that I did not install the Streams package. Thus, the grepping
I did (and I grepped a lot!) availed me not. Thanks for the answer....
That must be why I keep hearing the voice of Reverend Bob Dobbs, late at
night, whispering into my ear, "You'd grep to know what you really sed."

					--Al Evans--