[comp.unix.i386] 1 more rn problem with interactive

mark@brandy.UUCP (mark hilliard) (08/30/89)

Thanks for all of the data on rn, only 1 problem left:

in common.h :

char	*sprintf();

causes the following error:

"./common.h", line 674: redeclaration of sprintf

Stop.

the man says that sprintf should be a int, and NOT a pointer
but if i change it to as the man says, (it will compile then)
news numbers get messed up bad (increments by random numbers).

int	sprintf();

has anyone seen this?

Mark Hilliard

john@synsys.UUCP (John C. Rossmann) (09/01/89)

In article <171@brandy.UUCP> mark@brandy.UUCP (mark hilliard) writes:

>in common.h :
>
>char	*sprintf();
>
>causes the following error:
>

>"./common.h", line 674: redeclaration of sprintf
>

>the man says that sprintf should be a int, and NOT a pointer
>
>Mark Hilliard

What patchlevel is your version of rn?  Mine is level 40. My common.h
(after Configure) does not have the sprintf() declaration at all. When I
compile, there are no pointer type mismatch warnings, so I assume that
the code is not assigning sprintf()'s return value to any pointers (and
the code works fine).

Maybe Configure is finding different things on your system than mine?
I didn't think BT/Intel/ATT V/3.2 would be THAT different from 386/ix.
(When I last ran Configure, I think it was against my 3.0 system, but
the sprintf() function declaration didn't change.)

Can someone else shed more light on this?

John Rossmann		(uunet!synsys!john)