[comp.unix.i386] RLL controllers & 386/ix

ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu (08/29/89)

I am setting up a 386 clone that will eventually run a version of UNIX,
probably 386/ix. Since I am trying to keep costs down, I am thinking of
using a large (120MB) RLL hard-drive.  I see from Interactive's list of
compatible hardware that they limit the choices of RLL controllers,
which concerns me a bit.

Can anyone report their experience (good or bad) trying to install
versions UNIX/386 in systems with RLL controllers?

>Item 189 (0 resps) by ilan343 at violet.berkeley.edu on Tue 29 Aug 89 15:40
>[<No Identification>]    Subject: RLL controllers & 386/ix (8 lines)
>
>I am setting up a 386 clone that will eventually run a version of UNIX,
>probably 386/ix. Since I am trying to keep costs down, I am thinking of
>using a large (120MB) RLL hard-drive.  I see from Interactive's list of
>compatible hardware that they limit the choices of RLL controllers,
>which concerns me a bit.
>
>Can anyone report their experience (good or bad) trying to install
>versions UNIX/386 in systems with RLL controllers?

WD1006-V/SR2:

Nice and FAST.  Gawd, is it FAST.  Has a track cache on-board, and uses it
well.  Will run 1:1 interleave, and is quite respectable, even when compared
with SCSI or ESDI drive/controller combinations!   Highly recommended as the
controller to use.

If you're running 386/ix, make DARN SURE it is 2.0.2.  2.0.1 and before had
serious problems with either this board or RLL in general, we never
determined which.  Interactive was unresponsive, to put it nicely (this
isn't alt.flame, so I won't post the entire text of what I think of their
support abilities :-).

But they did (silently) fix the problem in 2.0.2, or at least it appears so.
SCO Xenix works with this board without hassles.  Plug and play, you're up
and running, no problems noted in about 9 months of use.

If you need a source we stock 'em, and at a good price.  Features include a
track cache, on-board floppy control (can't disable it tho -- but we have
a version sans floppy if you have one on the motherboard), and on-board
BIOS for formatting and the like.  If you're going to use it with a drive
with > 1024 cylinders then 386/ix is DEFINATELY not what you want to use;
they require a ROM entry for the drive type, and while the BIOS on this
board can "spoof" the entry (and 386/ix deals with that) it can't set an
entry that the bios won't support -- and BIOS entries are limited to 1024
cyls!

SCO, again, deals with the board without trouble, even for drives with > 1024
cylinders.  With SCO you can disable the onboard BIOS and still get full
speed and use of the drive.  386/ix requires the BIOS enabled, thus the 1024
cylinder limitation.

WD is working on this limitation, or so they say.

Adaptec ACB2372:
 STAY AWAY.  We have had a number of problems with these monsters.
 Problems include "losing" the configuration of drives, etc.  This is
 not nice - if you lose the configuration in the controller (which
 apparently is stored on the drive) you all of a sudden don't have
 any data on the disk, and can't recover without a low-level format!

 They are also not caching boards, which is a bummer speed-wise.  You
 simply can't get full performance out of these cards.

DPT:
 Very fast, 512K - 16MB cache on-board.  VERY EXPENSIVE as well.
 Base prices are around $1k, going up from there.  Ouch.  Great if
 you need it, but for that kind of money.....

Disclaimer:  We will sell any or all of the above, our opinions are biased
	     based on what works and what doesn't :-)

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]

aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) (08/30/89)

In article <1989Aug29.162452.10538@agate.uucp> ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu writes:
>I am setting up a 386 clone that will eventually run a version of UNIX,
>probably 386/ix. Since I am trying to keep costs down, I am thinking of
>using a large (120MB) RLL hard-drive.  I see from Interactive's list of
>compatible hardware that they limit the choices of RLL controllers,
>which concerns me a bit.
>Can anyone report their experience (good or bad) trying to install
>versions UNIX/386 in systems with RLL controllers?

No personal experience here; just some vendor info.  ISC claims
compatibility with just 4 RLL controllers (Adaptec ACB-237[02],
Bell Tech [Intel?] B-130, and WD 1006V-SRZ).  ESIX, on the other
hand, specifically disclaims RLL support in the literature I received
just yesterday.

--
    Alan S. Denney  @  Informix Software, Inc.
         {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland                 "I want to live!

pcg@thor.cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) (09/03/89)

In article <2237@infmx.UUCP> aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) writes:

   In article <1989Aug29.162452.10538@agate.uucp> ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu writes:
   >I am setting up a 386 clone that will eventually run a version of UNIX,
   >probably 386/ix. Since I am trying to keep costs down, I am thinking of
   >using a large (120MB) RLL hard-drive.  I see from Interactive's list of
   >compatible hardware that they limit the choices of RLL controllers,
   >which concerns me a bit.
   >Can anyone report their experience (good or bad) trying to install
   >versions UNIX/386 in systems with RLL controllers?

I am using an ACB 2372B on my 386 with ESIX 3.2; it works fine. It is
quite fast, and does have a read ahead cache (small), which helps a little
bit. It does support 1:1 low level format. The ESIX disc driver is
not a speed monster unfortunately.

   No personal experience here; just some vendor info.  ISC claims
   compatibility with just 4 RLL controllers (Adaptec ACB-237[02],
   Bell Tech [Intel?] B-130, and WD 1006V-SRZ).  ESIX, on the other
   hand, specifically disclaims RLL support in the literature I received
   just yesterday.

This is bizarre, because the ACB 2372 is virtually register level
compatible with the standard MFM controller, the WD1003. The disc
driver does not even realize that it is an RLL controller. The
only difference is that RLL drives that have 26 sectors/track,
not 17; but the driver can be configured to cope with that (in
/etc/partitions).

As I said, it does work on my machine. There is one problem with
ESIX: if your disc geometry does not appear in the ROM table, you
are more or less stuck if you use the standard installation
procedure. Unfortunately most ROM tables do not have entries with
26 sectors/track. Thank goodness you can make your system work
nonetheless.  Just write manually an /etc/partitions file,
instead of letting disksetup build it, taking care of specifying
the right geometry.

UNIX itself never looks at the ROM tables; they are only read
during boot (and then you only want to make sure that the drive
type you assigned with setup is for an entry with the right
number of heads; cylinders and sectors are not important), and
during installation, as disksetup consults the ROM table to get the
geometry info to put in /etc/partitions. If you do that yourself,
all is ok.

I think that a good bet for a disc to use with an ACB 2372 is
either an ST4144 or a Miniscribe 3128 (but most probably a 3085
will work).
--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

pcg@aber-cs.UUCP (Piercarlo Grandi) (09/03/89)

In article <1989Aug29.162452.10538@agate.uucp> ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu writes:

   >I am setting up a 386 clone that will eventually run a version of UNIX,
   >probably 386/ix. Since I am trying to keep costs down, I am thinking of
   >using a large (120MB) RLL hard-drive.  I see from Interactive's list of
   >compatible hardware that they limit the choices of RLL controllers,
   >which concerns me a bit.
   >Can anyone report their experience (good or bad) trying to install
   >versions UNIX/386 in systems with RLL controllers?

I am using an ACB 2372B on my 386 with ESIX 3.2; it works fine. It is
quite fast, and does have a read ahead cache (small), which helps a little
bit. It does support 1:1 low level format. The ESIX disc driver is
not a speed monster unfortunately.

In article <2237@infmx.UUCP> aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) writes:

   No personal experience here; just some vendor info.  ISC claims
   compatibility with just 4 RLL controllers (Adaptec ACB-237[02],
   Bell Tech [Intel?] B-130, and WD 1006V-SRZ).  ESIX, on the other
   hand, specifically disclaims RLL support in the literature I received
   just yesterday.

This is bizarre, because the ACB 2372 is virtually register level
compatible with the standard MFM controller, the WD1003. The disc
driver does not even realize that it is an RLL controller. The
only difference is that RLL drives that have 26 sectors/track,
not 17; but the driver can be configured to cope with that (in
/etc/partitions).

As I said, it does work on my machine. There is one problem with
ESIX: if your disc geometry does not appear in the ROM table, you
are more or less stuck if you use the standard installation
procedure. Unfortunately most ROM tables do not have entries with
26 sectors/track. Thank goodness you can make your system work
nonetheless.  Just write manually an /etc/partitions file,
instead of letting disksetup build it, taking care of specifying
the right geometry.

UNIX itself never looks at the ROM tables; they are only read
during boot (and then you only want to make sure that the drive
type you assigned with setup is for an entry with the right
number of heads; cylinders and sectors are not important), and
during installation, as disksetup consults the ROM table to get the
geometry info to put in /etc/partitions. If you do that yourself,
all is ok.

I think that a good bet for a disc to use with an ACB 2372 is either an
ST4144 or a Miniscribe 3128 (but most probably a 3085 will work); both will
give you 110-20 Mbytes of clean disk. Buy two, and your machine will be very
fast. Price for either, thru mail order, is around $560-$570 (that is,
two RLL'ed discs will give you 220 Mbytes, and are much faster for multiuser,
than the otherwise excellent miniscribe ESDI 150 MBytes disc, even if this
has 17ms average seek).

My own preference goes to the Miniscribe; it has 22ms average seek, and is
*half height* (the seagate is 28ms average seek, is full height, and many
have had bad experience with seagate drives and constantly-seeking Unixes).
--

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (09/04/89)

In article <1115@aber-cs.UUCP>, pcg@aber-cs.UUCP (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
> In article <1989Aug29.162452.10538@agate.uucp> ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu writes:
> I am using an ACB 2372B on my 386 with ESIX 3.2; it works fine. It is
> quite fast, and does have a read ahead cache (small), which helps a little
> bit. It does support 1:1 low level format. The ESIX disc driver is
> not a speed monster unfortunately.

I also am using an Adaptec 2372(b) with dual Micropolis 1335 drives
under 386/ix and they are working just fine (so far).

The original ISC documentation mentions that the OS will only work
with drives in the CMOS drive table - and makes no mention of the
BIOS on the controller card - but docuements conflict that information
by mentioning that the controller BIOS will work.  Since I have a
drive type of 47 which can be defined in the BIOS by entering
the number of heads, etc. I tried both ways (by also using the
controller BIOS and setting the CMOS to a drive type 1) and ISC
worked either way.

--
Larry Snyder              uucp:iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry
The Northern Star Usenet Distribution Site, Notre Dame, IN USA