[comp.unix.i386] getty spawning too fast in 386/ix?

dstein@cup.portal.com (Doug Mr-Science Stein) (09/02/89)

I'm trying to direct connect a terminal via COM1: on a 386/25 system
running ISC 2.0.2.  I have editted /etc/inittab to respawn 00 starting
at 9600 baud (I know that I also eventually need to change
/etc/conf/init.base [or whatever]), but after changing inittab and
execututing telinit Q I get the following erromessage:
  INIT: getty respawning too quickly

Any ideas on what may be going wrong?

cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) (09/02/89)

In article <21774@cup.portal.com>, dstein@cup.portal.com (Doug Mr-Science Stein) writes:
> I'm trying to direct connect a terminal via COM1: on a 386/25 system
> running ISC 2.0.2.  I have editted /etc/inittab to respawn 00 starting
> at 9600 baud (I know that I also eventually need to change
> /etc/conf/init.base [or whatever]), but after changing inittab and
> execututing telinit Q I get the following erromessage:
>   INIT: getty respawning too quickly

This is usually caused by the open on the device failing.  In setting up a new
tty port, I usually ensure that the following works (displays output on the
tty) prior to starting the getty.

	(
	 	stty 9600
		cat /etc/passwd
	) > /dev/tty?? <&1 2>&1

If this works then the getty shouldn't fail to open the device.

pb@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Peter Brouwer) (09/04/89)

In article <21774@cup.portal.com> dstein@cup.portal.com (Doug Mr-Science Stein) writes:
>I get the following erromessage:
>  INIT: getty respawning too quickly
>
>Any ideas on what may be going wrong?
 Yes something is wrong with your cable connection. The problem lies in the
 modem signal wiring. See Systems administrators's guide page B-5 for a
 null modem connection.

--
Peter Brouwer,                # Philips Telecommunications and Data Systems,
NET  : pb@idca.tds.philips.nl # Department SSP-P9000 Building V2,