[comp.unix.i386] Future Domain 386/ix disk drivers, 2.0.2, etc.

tpf@jdyx.UUCP (Tom Friedel) (09/09/89)

Just called Future Domain and was informed that they do not
suport 2.0.2.  The tech I talked too was one of the rookies and
didn't have any more info.  CLearly ISC has removed all mention of
Future Domain from the 2.0.2. docs.

I am using Future Domain's in-house disk and tape driver for their
TMC-881 controller, 386/ix 2.0.1.  Their replacement disk driver is
excellent.

My questions are (in order of importance)
   1) I want to install a second hard drive.  Before I spend $1500
      dollars, can someone verify that 2.0.1/1.1 FD drivers will indeed
      support two hard drives and a tape drive, as the FD docs claim.
      (The tape drive works with one hard disk right now)
      (The ISC 2.0.1 docs about SCSI support were ridiculously flawed
       as some of us found out the hard way)
   2) has anyone gotten more info from ISC or Future Domain about the
      drivers and future Future Domain support.
   3) It seems that the most serious bug in 2.0.1 was the memory
      management bug that doesn't appear to affect me (I have lots
      of memory).  Is there some other serious flaw with 2.0.1?
   4) The notes metion that the ram disk device file is incorrect.
      I have a RAM drive under 2.0.1 that does not appear to be a
      RAM disk (based upon benchmarks and drive sounds).  Can I
      modify this device file to get better RAM drive preformance?

If you can help me,
THANKS!!!!!!!

Tom

--
Tom Friedel  (404) 320-7624 tpf@jdyx.UUCP
also:  tpf@jdyx.atlanta.ga.us ...gatech!emory!jdyx!tpf

root@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (09/09/89)

In article <1989Sep8.211521.21918@jdyx.UUCP>, tpf@jdyx.UUCP (Tom Friedel) writes:
> My questions are (in order of importance)
>    1) I want to install a second hard drive.  Before I spend $1500
>       dollars, can someone verify that 2.0.1/1.1 FD drivers will indeed
>       support two hard drives and a tape drive, as the FD docs claim.
>       (The tape drive works with one hard disk right now)
>       (The ISC 2.0.1 docs about SCSI support were ridiculously flawed
>        as some of us found out the hard way)

I asked Brian at ISC (in Hollis) this same question and he said yes - many
folks have installed another controller and pair of drives.

--
Larry Snyder                                              SCO Xenix 2.3.2 '386
uucp: iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry                Computone Intelliport AT8