[comp.unix.i386] X11 and virtual terminals under ix/386

fritzz@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu (fritz zaucker) (09/17/89)

Hi,
I have a problem with switching virtual terminals under ix/386
While running X11 on one of the terminals I want switch to
another. This is in textmode. If I switch back to the
X11 session, this is also in textmode. Is there any way
to get it back to graphics mode (X11)?
Thanks for your help.
Fritz

jackv@turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (09/18/89)

In article <1706@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu> fritzz@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu (fritz zaucker) writes:
>I have a problem with switching virtual terminals under ix/386
>While running X11 on one of the terminals I want switch to
>another. This is in textmode. If I switch back to the
>X11 session, this is also in textmode. Is there any way
>to get it back to graphics mode (X11)?

Your problem is that you simply not aware of how the X server works with
the virtual terminals. If you did a ps you would see that it is running
on a different vt than the one you fired it up on. The way it works is
that the server will open the first vt0x that has no getty on it. So if
you have gettys on vt01 and vt02 it will actually run on vt03. I assume
that you were toggling between the console and maybe vt01. To get back
to the X session do a ps, find which vt the X server is running on and
toggle to that.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -