[comp.unix.i386] SCSI Utilities

neese@adaptex.UUCP (09/07/89)

Well, I want to apologize to those that have been waiting for the mode
sense software for the AHA-1540 board.  I got so many responses (>300)
that I thought I would set my system up so those of you who want it can
call and retrieve it yourself.  The files are compressed binaries that
can be executed under MS-DOS.  You need to to add this entry to your
Systems file:

adaptex Any 2400 18174886893 --gin:--gin:--gin: suucp

You can snarf the following compressed binary files via uucp.

GETDEVS.EXE.Z	GRDRIVE.EXE.Z	GREAD.EXE.Z	GWRITE.EXE.Z
README.Z	SCSI.EXE.Z	SCSICNTL.EXE.Z	SCSIHA.SYS.Z
SETSCSI.EXE.Z

Use the following command:

uucp -m adaptex!~/filename /usr/spool/uucppublic/filename

Replace 'filename' with the appropriate name of the file that you want.  To
those who only want the mode sense fiddler, it is the SCSICNTL.EXE file.  No
matter which files you snarf, always get the README file.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer
			UUCP @ {texbell,killer}!cpe!adaptex!neese
				merch!adaptex!neese

neese@adaptex.UUCP (09/09/89)

Well, you think you got everything going your way and guess what?
You got it!!  My Boss decided to save a buck and bought a serial
cable from some garage shop and it didn't have pin 8 wired through.
This has been driving me nuts for 3 days.  Of course you folks that
decided to call 'adaptex' couldn't get through,....I mean how can a
computer answer a line when it can't see carrier detect.  Everything
is okay, (maybe) for now.  Sorry for any inconvienece this may have
caused.  I hope it didn't match my level of frustration.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer
			UUCP @ {texbell,attctc}!cpe!adaptex!neese
				merch!adaptex!neese

neese@adaptex.UUCP (09/09/89)

Well due to more modem problems, don't bother trying to call 'adaptex'
until further notice.  Sorry for the trouble this may have caused.  I know
a lot of people wanted the software, but until my modem troubles are
cured, I'll ask you to wait.  Please don't sedn anymore E-mail for the
stuff.  I have already gotten over 500 responses.  I am working hard to get
the thing taken care of and hope to have it fixed RSN.

bbs@medsys.UUCP (BBS login) (09/16/89)

neese@adaptex.UUCP writes:

>Well due to more modem problems, don't bother trying to call 'adaptex'
>until further notice.  Sorry for the trouble this may have caused.  I know
>a lot of people wanted the software, but until my modem troubles are
>cured, I'll ask you to wait.  Please don't sedn anymore E-mail for the
>stuff.  I have already gotten over 500 responses.  I am working hard to get
>the thing taken care of and hope to have it fixed RSN.

Roy Neese of Adaptec fame has graciously made his SCSI drive setup program
available to me.  I've placed it in my public-access filesystem which
should be available by uucp:

Make an entry in your Systems file like so (speed = 1200-19200):

medsys Any ACU speed 16152883957 --ogin:--ogin:--ogin: nuucp

and then do:

uucp medsys!/u/xbbs/msdos/neese.scsi /usr/spool/uucppublic

The file neese.scsi contains README.Z and SCSICNTL.EXE.Z.

This file is also available by direct login and download from the bbs:
dial 1-615-288-3957, login as bbs, file is in msdos file area either
as neese.scsi (uuencoded) or SCSI.ARC.

             __   __|  __        __        LaVerne Olney -- Med-Systems
    |/^\/^\ /__) /  | (__  |  | (__     Medical Office Management Software
    |  |  | \__  \__| ___) \__| ___)           1932 Brookside Road
                              |            Kingsport, TN  37660  U.S.A.
  Unix BBS: 615-288-3957   (__)             UUCP: uunet!medsys!laverne

ojala@sauna.hut.FI (Petri Ojala) (09/17/89)

In article <802@medsys.UUCP> bbs@medsys.UUCP (BBS login) writes:

 * Roy Neese of Adaptec fame has graciously made his SCSI drive setup program
 * available to me.  I've placed it in my public-access filesystem which
 * should be available by uucp..

	Are those SCSI utilities available somewhere for anonymous
ftp?  If not, could somebody, who can access medsys or has them do so ?

--
ojala@cs.hut.fi			...{uunet,mcsun}!santra!sauna!ojala
FINGATE::OJALA (BITNET/EARN)

pronk@merlin.UUCP (Frank Pronk) (09/18/89)

In article <OJALA.89Sep17130137@sauna.hut.FI> ojala@sauna.hut.FI (Petri Ojala) writes:
>In article <802@medsys.UUCP> bbs@medsys.UUCP (BBS login) writes:
>
> * Roy Neese of Adaptec fame has graciously made his SCSI drive setup program
> * available to me.  I've placed it in my public-access filesystem which
> * should be available by uucp..
>
>	Are those SCSI utilities available somewhere for anonymous
>ftp?  If not, could somebody, who can access medsys or has them do so ?

I've placed a copy of neese.scsi (scsi disk utility and readme) on host
cs.ubc.ca[128.189.97.5].  Login as anonymous ftp and fetch
scsiutil/neese.scsi.

Enabling the Wren IV disk cache can make an enormous difference in
system performance.  My 386/16 with an AHA1540A and Wren IV running
SCO Xenix 2.3.1 can copy a 1 megabyte file to /dev/null in 6 seconds
with the cache enabled; with the cache disabled, the same copy takes
17 seconds.

Thankyou, Roy Neese, for making this utility available.

Frank Pronk

uucp: pronk@merlin.uucp or ..!uunet!ubc-cs!merlin!pronk
domain: pronk@driver-design-labs.bc.ca