[comp.unix.i386] uugetty woes fixed

marc@dumbcat.UUCP (Marco S Hyman) (09/08/89)

In article <103@dumbcat.UUCP> I wrote:
> Also, I've had problems
> depending upon the order the lines are given.  What works (with 386/ix
> 2.0.2) is:
>
> asy	Y	2	7	1	4	3f8	3ff	0	0
> asy	Y	2	7	1	3	2f8	2ff	0	0

Conjecture: The first asy is tty00 and the second is tty01.  Reverse the
lines and the modem that was on tty00 doesn't respont to commands to tty01.

> Every so often the message
>
> INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly....
> id:  00 "/usr/lib/uugetty ...
>
> shows up on the console.  I don't know what triggers it yet as it seems to
> show up without any activity on the serial port.

Fixed: I had a second set of lines in /etc/inittab for 00 and 01 (in addtion
to the line I added for the uugetty on ttyd0.  (They were added by the 2.0.2
upgrade).  Since removing the extra set of init instructions and doing a
kill -1 1 all UUCP problems have gone away.  The same port is being used for
both Dial-in and Dial-out without any problems.  (But the driver is slow and
you will drop characters at 9600 bps).

It IS possible to run bi-directional ports with uugetty on 386/ix.  But it
could have been a lot easier with a few helpful hints in the documentation.

--marc
--
// Marco S. Hyman
// ...!pacbell!dumbcat!marc

root@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (09/09/89)

In article <104@dumbcat.UUCP>, marc@dumbcat.UUCP (Marco S Hyman) writes:
> It IS possible to run bi-directional ports with uugetty on 386/ix.  But it
> could have been a lot easier with a few helpful hints in the documentation.

That's why I removed ISC on my box - it did not run as advertised.
Brian assured me that a fix for the uugetty problem would be fed-exed to
be this last week - but it never arrived.  The docs are bad - real bad.
Someone mentioned that Xwindow docs are excellent.  Chances are those are
the ones done by O'Reily ?.

I'll try ISC again in a year or so after the product (and documents)
gets cleaned up.   I must admit - the 75% discount is the major reason
I intitially selected ISC - and SCO set me back more but is a solid, stable
proven product.
--
Larry Snyder                                              SCO Xenix 2.3.2 '386
uucp: iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry                Computone Intelliport AT8

marc@dumbcat.UUCP (Marco S Hyman) (09/11/89)

In article <109@nstar.UUCP> root@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
> In article <104@dumbcat.UUCP>, marc@dumbcat.UUCP (Marco S Hyman) writes:
> > It IS possible to run bi-directional ports with uugetty on 386/ix.  But it
> > could have been a lot easier with a few helpful hints in the documentation.
>
> That's why I removed ISC on my box - it did not run as advertised.
> Brian assured me that a fix for the uugetty problem would be fed-exed to
> be this last week - but it never arrived.  The docs are bad - real bad.

There was nothing to fix (except the documentation).  All Interactive needs
to do (short term) is prepare a two or three page addendum on ``How to
configure 386/ix for two serial ports'' and another on ``How to configure a
port for bi-directional operation.''  In the long term they need better
documentation.  And more of it.

--marc
--
// Marco S. Hyman		{ames,pyramid,sun}!pacbell!dumbcat!marc

jwd@sas.UUCP (John W. DeBoskey) (09/13/89)

In article <106@dumbcat.UUCP> marc@dumbcat.UUCP (Marco S Hyman) writes:
>In article <109@nstar.UUCP> root@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>> In article <104@dumbcat.UUCP>, marc@dumbcat.UUCP (Marco S Hyman) writes:
>> > could have been a lot easier with a few helpful hints in the documentation.
>>
>> be this last week - but it never arrived.  The docs are bad - real bad.
>
>There was nothing to fix (except the documentation).  All Interactive needs
>to do (short term) is prepare a two or three page addendum on ``How to
>configure 386/ix for two serial ports'' and another on ``How to configure a
>port for bi-directional operation.''  In the long term they need better
>documentation.  And more of it.

Well, this may seem "off the wall", but why doesn't someone who has
good archives and has been through the process put a pair of small
docs together that contain this info. Then maybe they could be
distributed every month or so like the common questions on .questions...

       /////// read in any company name you please...
And if someone gets copies of the docs that those of us on the net
have written and try to add them to their collection, we can burn 'em.
It would serve them right. They should have written the stuff to begin
with...
   Oh well, maybe I'd be in a better mood if the mainframe would stay
up today...

                    John
Oh.. for the curious.
I'm running ISC 1.0.6 on a Mod 80...
I've been through the above, and then tossed their support software.
I run MODEM(modified) instead of the getty,uugetty and I only use ASY
on tty00...
---------------- No .seg here -------------------

marc@dumbcat.UUCP (Marco S Hyman) (09/17/89)

In article <1215@sas.UUCP> jwd@sas.UUCP (John W. DeBoskey) writes:
[ my bitching about the lack of documentation on setting up bi-directional
uucp links deleted]
> Well, this may seem "off the wall", but why doesn't someone who has
> good archives and has been through the process put a pair of small
> docs together that contain this info.

I've prepared a doc that is available for the asking -- and have sent it out
to several people.  However, I've yet to get feedback from anyone that it
works on their system.  (Working on my system does not make it a general
purpose solution).  As soon as I get some feedback that someone else got
bi-directional uucp working using my instructions I'll post the
instructions. (What, I want to TEST it first!)

--marc
--
// Marco S. Hyman		{ames,pyramid,sun}!pacbell!dumbcat!marc

jon@wilbur.uucp (Jonathan Broome) (09/18/89)

In article <107@dumbcat.UUCP> marc@dumbcat.UUCP (Marco S Hyman) writes:
: In article <1215@sas.UUCP> jwd@sas.UUCP (John W. DeBoskey) writes:
: > Well, this may seem "off the wall", but why doesn't someone who has
: > good archives and has been through the process put a pair of small
: > docs together that contain this info.
: I've prepared a doc that is available for the asking -- and have sent it out
: to several people.

Well, I just received an early version of docs from someone else on how to
set up serial ports for bidirectional use under 386/ix.  This information
has even been *tested*, and also describes how to set up each of the popular
kinds of modems (Hayes 1200, Hayes 2400, Telebit) and get getty (note: _not_
uugetty -- it's no longer needed for normal use) to work properly.

To get a copy of these docs, call your 386/ix vendor/distributor and ask
them to get you the "Kernel Configuration X5 update".  As an added bonus,
the docs even come with a diskette, which contains updated serial drivers
which support interlocking devices and 16550 UARTs and generally fix most
of the complaints voiced on the net in recent days...  I'm running four
serial ports with 16550's and two modems (both bidirectional) and it all
works quite nicely, and I didn't even have to kludge in any non-standard
drivers into my system.

  ---Jonathan Broome
  jon@wilbur.uucp

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (09/20/89)

In article <109@nstar.UUCP> root@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
|Someone mentioned that Xwindow docs are excellent.  Chances are those are
|the ones done by O'Reily ?.

There are three sets of X11 docs that come with the system.  Two of
them are O'Reily (sp?), the other is Interactive.  The Interactive
documentation is on installation, mostly, and is not terribly well
done.  It doesn't mention, for instance, that xrdb will not operate if
you don't have the C Development package because it requires cpp.  I
only found out because I installed X before installing the development
stuff.  There should also be some mention of two- versus three-button
mice (they have no way to map two to three as almost all other
versions of X I've used did), etc.  Installation of X11 doesn't
exactly follow the manual's description, either.

I have quite a few peeves about specific portions of the X11 package,
although as a whole it works remarkably well even on my 4mb system.

jim frost
software tool & die
madd@std.com