[comp.unix.i386] How do I measure the 386/ix paging rate?

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (09/20/89)

My 386/ix box running 2.0.2 is doing a lot of disk I/O these days, and I
think it is paging too much.  Before I shell out 500 bucks to get more
memory, it would be nice to know for sure.  Is there any way to find out
what the paging rate actually is?

For that matter, what sort of paging algorithm does it use?  Performance
seems to have gotten worse since I installed NFS.  I have the usual bunch of
nfs daemon processes, but since there are no active clients I'd hope they'd
get swapped out.  Or do I hope too much?
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl, Levine@YALE.edu

cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) (09/21/89)

In article <1989Sep20.141733.5037@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us>, johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:
> My 386/ix box running 2.0.2 is doing a lot of disk I/O these days, and I
> think it is paging too much.  Before I shell out 500 bucks to get more
> memory, it would be nice to know for sure.  Is there any way to find out
> what the paging rate actually is?

You can use the sar(1) program which will give you a system activity report.
You can use different options to sar to display the paging/swapping, syscalls,
memory....

> For that matter, what sort of paging algorithm does it use?  Performance
> seems to have gotten worse since I installed NFS.  I have the usual bunch of
> nfs daemon processes, but since there are no active clients I'd hope they'd
> get swapped out.  Or do I hope too much?

I don't know what algorithm is used, but I *think* that most paging systems
will page out sections of programs before they decide to swap out a whole
program.

There are a couple of configuration parameters that you can use that effect
the paging/swapping.  These include the minimum amount of free space
to maintain (in %) and other such stuff.   I have never modified these settings
in my machine so I can't give you any suggestions.  The system administrators
guide does have a pretty good discussion on performance tuning.

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (09/22/89)

> My 386/ix box running 2.0.2 is doing a lot of disk I/O these days, and I
> think it is paging too much.  Before I shell out 500 bucks to get more
> memory, it would be nice to know for sure.  Is there any way to find out
> what the paging rate actually is?

Hi John - I was running Interactive with 4 megabytes of ram feeding a couple
of folks netnews using high speed serial lines (locked at 19,200 baud) - while
I was on the system running multiple makes and vpix - and only once noticed
that I was actually swapping.  How much memory do you have in your box?

--
                                                               Larry Snyder
                                      uucp: iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry