[comp.unix.i386] Success stories with GNU* with 386/ix?

micky@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Micky Liu) (09/14/89)

I am interested in other peoples' experiences in porting any of the GNU
software under 386/ix, particularly the C compiler and the debugger.  If
at all possible, I would like to avoid tremendous amounts of heartache
if using their software is unlikely...

Thanx!

Micky

  arpa: micky@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu
  uucp: ...!rutgers!columbia!cunixc!micky
bitnet: malua@cuvmc

jackv@turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (09/17/89)

In article <1868@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> micky@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Micky Liu) writes:

>I am interested in other peoples' experiences in porting any of the GNU
>software under 386/ix, particularly the C compiler and the debugger.

The GNU C compiler, gcc builds without any problems at all, it is simply a
matter of configuring for ATT386 and then making it. It seems to produce
slightly better assembler than the supplied pcc does but I have not seen
such a difference in performance that I got blown away or anything. The one
disadvantage to it, is that its a real memory hog and thus can be slow if
you have a minimally configured system (read less than 4 Meg).

The debugger, gdb is another matter. I don't know of anyone who has gotton
this beast to run under 386/ix mainly because it requires the GNU ld and
it is not very portable. In fact, if I am mistaken and someone has gotton
it to work I would like to hear from you.

The C++ compiler, g++ is more problematic. I have the compiler frontend and
the main pass compiled, and have built libg++ but for some reason it does
not work right. However others have sent email saying that it works fine
for them. There are patches needed for this archive and I guess I just do
not have everything needed installed. This has been a low priority for me
at the moment, I hope to get it working one of these days. In fact, could
someone out there who has got g++ working please post all the requisite
patches here. I know I for one would really appreciate this.

Hope this helps,
--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (09/18/89)

I have been able to get GNU diff and make working, for what it's worth.
--
'We have luck only with women --    \\\     Tom Neff
          not spacecraft!'         *-((O    tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (09/18/89)

In article <6361@turnkey.gryphon.COM> jackv@turnkey.gryphon.COM writes:
>The debugger, gdb is another matter. I don't know of anyone who has gotton
>this beast to run under 386/ix mainly because it requires the GNU ld and
>it is not very portable. ...

I got GDB 3.2 to work with practically no effort at all, using the standard
assembler and linker that come with /ix.  I config'ed it for i386, made the
simple changes in the makefile that the config script suggests, and built it.
The only problems were that the names of some of the fields in the u. block
have changed, and there is a dependency on ioctl names that is confused.

Here are the diffs relative to distributed gdb 3.2:
********** Makefile ***********
42,43c42,43
< #CC=gcc -O
< CC=cc
---
> CC=gcc -O
> @CC=cc
45,46c45,46
< #YACC=bison -y -v
< YACC=yacc
---
> YACC=bison -y -v
> @YACC=yacc
69,70c69,70
< REGEX =
< REGEX1 =
---
> REGEX = regex.o
> REGEX1 = regex.o
78,79c78,79
< #GNU_MALLOC =
< GNU_MALLOC = malloc.o
---
> GNU_MALLOC =
> #GNU_MALLOC = malloc.o
88,89c88,89
< # SYSV_DEFINE = -DSYSV
< SYSV_DEFINE =
---
> SYSV_DEFINE = -DSYSV
> #SYSV_DEFINE =
97a98
> #TERMCAP = -ltermcap
101c102
< CLIBS = ${ADD_FILES} ${TERMCAP}
---
> #CLIBS = ${ADD_FILES} ${TERMCAP}
103c104
< #CLIBS= {$ADD_FILES} ${TERMCAP} -lPW
---
> CLIBS= ${ADD_FILES} ${TERMCAP} -lPW
166,167c167,168
< .c.o:
< 	${CC} -c ${CFLAGS} $<
---
> #.c.o:
> #	${CC} -c ${CFLAGS} $<
********** i386-dep.c ***********
1175c1175,1176
<   uaddr = (char *)&u.u_fpstate - (char *)&u;
---
>   /* uaddr = (char *)&u.u_fpstate - (char *)&u; */
>   uaddr = (char *)&u.u_fps.u_fpstate - (char *)&u;
********** inflow.c ***********
43a44
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl, Levine@YALE.edu

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (09/23/89)

GNU emacs works fine if you compile fns.c unoptimized.  Apparently
there is a bug in the pcc optimizer which this file tickles.

jim frost
software tool & die
madd@std.com

kari@sunswe.SE ( Anna Karin Winberg) (09/29/89)

	Hi!

Could anyone please give me a pointer to someone who has managed to get
GDB or/and GNU-emacs to run on a 386/ix machine?
(Doesn't matter what version it is)
--

	Thanks in advance:  Anna Karin  Winberg.