[comp.unix.i386] uucp with tcp on 386/ix vers 2.0.2

russ@cipher.UUCP (Russ Harvey) (10/05/89)

Hi, we have 5 ISC 386/ix version 2.0.2 machines
connected via ethernet (WD8003E, ISC's TCP/IP),
and want to do something natural like have
the ability to print files on all machines,
even though there is only one printer (HP LaserJet II).
At first I thought the print spoolers on the remote
machines (those without a printer) could be set
up to send files to the print server machine.
I gave up on that and began to pursue using uucp.
I have been experimenting with Systems, Devices
and Devconfig entries for a couple of days without
success. The various manuals don't seem to
help much either. Any help would be greatly
appreciated. Either suggestions about setting up
uucp so that uux or whatever can be used to
print from a remote machine via ethernet, or
an alternative method to communicate with the
spooler on the print machine.
We have been using a script that does an rcp,
an rsh of the spooler on the print machine and
then removes the file, but this seems tacky.
Sorry if this subject has been covered before.
I am new to using these PCs with System V,
and have only started to read this newsgroup.

Thanks in advance,
- Russ
ucsd!ncr-sd!cipher!russ

logan@inpnms.UUCP (James Logan) (10/06/89)

In article <255@cipher.UUCP> russ@cipher.UUCP (Russ Harvey) writes:
# Hi, we have 5 ISC 386/ix version 2.0.2 machines
# connected via ethernet (WD8003E, ISC's TCP/IP),
# and want to do something natural like have
# the ability to print files on all machines,
# even though there is only one printer (HP LaserJet II).

What's wrong with the rshl(1) command?  If you are on machine "A"
and the printer is on machine "Z", just use:

	rshl Z lp <filename;

For a more permanant fix you can move the real lp(1) command to
OLDlp, and put this script in its place:

	cat $@ | rshl Z lp;

If you want to use the real lp(1), copy the existing script for a
dumb printer in /usr/spool/lp/model, replace the "cat" with the
rshl command I mentioned, and create a new (default) printer type
with lpadmin(1M).  You can also change the script to pass flags
to the remote lp(1) if you want.

			-Jim Logan

--
James Logan                       UUCP: uunet!inpnms!logan
Data General Telecommunications   Inet: logan%inpnms@uunet.uu.net

dave@pmafire.UUCP (Dave Remien) (10/06/89)

In article <182@inpnms.UUCP+ logan@inpnms.UUCP (James Logan) writes:
+What's wrong with the rshl(1) command?  If you are on machine "A"
+and the printer is on machine "Z", just use:
+
+	rshl Z lp <filename;
+
Our Bell Tech UNIX, with Lachman TCP/IP uses rcmd, which we link to the
name of the remote machine (ln /usr/bin/rcmd /usr/bin/Z, for the above
example), which lets us do

 Z lp -options < filename

It's a lot easier to execute remote stuff this way.

+For a more permanant fix you can move the real lp(1) command to
+OLDlp, and put this script in its place:
+
+	cat $@ | rshl Z lp;
+

Except this won't let you pass options to the remote printer.

+
+If you want to use the real lp(1), copy the existing script for a
+dumb printer in /usr/spool/lp/model, replace the "cat" with the
+rshl command I mentioned, and create a new (default) printer type
+with lpadmin(1M).  You can also change the script to pass flags
+to the remote lp(1) if you want.

Or create a simple model on the remote machine that simply cats the file
(with serial options, if necessary) to the remote printer, and put all
the options you want in your local machines model, and have your local
machine do all the option processing. I have an example, if anyone wants
it.

--
Dave Remien - WINCO Computer Eng. Group -{uunet | bigtex}!pmafire!dave-
"And who's birthday is today?"     "Why, nobody, Hugh" 		(Firesign

drich@dialogic.UUCP (Dan Rich) (10/06/89)

In article <182@inpnms.UUCP> logan@inpnms.UUCP (James Logan) writes:
>In article <255@cipher.UUCP> russ@cipher.UUCP (Russ Harvey) writes:
># Hi, we have 5 ISC 386/ix version 2.0.2 machines
># connected via ethernet (WD8003E, ISC's TCP/IP),
># and want to do something natural like have
># the ability to print files on all machines,
># even though there is only one printer (HP LaserJet II).
>
>What's wrong with the rshl(1) command?  If you are on machine "A"
>and the printer is on machine "Z", just use:
>
>	rshl Z lp <filename;

  This will only work if you give all of your users accounts on the
machine with the printer, and if all of them have a .rhosts file.  I
find that a little too much to expect of most users :-).  Also, I have
removed the .rhosts file from root (I don't want people to be logging,
or rshl'ing into our fileserver as root), so now I can't print from
remote machines as root.

  If you are running rfs, a better solution might be (this just came
to mind, and I haven't tried it yet, so don't yell if it doesn't work)
to create a remote device directory.  Then, place links to all of the
devices you want to be able to access remotely in this directory.  You
should then be able to define a printer to use the remote device,
instead of the usual local device.  We already use this for our tape
drive, so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work for a printer.
--
- Dan Rich              |                           |   Dialogic Corporation
  drich@dialogic.UUCP   | - Time is an illusion.    |   300 Littleton Rd

pb@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Peter Brouwer) (10/09/89)

In article <182@inpnms.UUCP> logan@inpnms.UUCP (James Logan) writes:
>In article <255@cipher.UUCP> russ@cipher.UUCP (Russ Harvey) writes:
># Hi, we have 5 ISC 386/ix version 2.0.2 machines
># connected via ethernet (WD8003E, ISC's TCP/IP),
># and want to do something natural like have
># the ability to print files on all machines,
># even though there is only one printer (HP LaserJet II).

>If you want to use the real lp(1), copy the existing script for a
>dumb printer in /usr/spool/lp/model, replace the "cat" with the
>rshl command I mentioned, and create a new (default) printer type
>with lpadmin(1M).  You can also change the script to pass flags
>to the remote lp(1) if you want.

We made a new script for remote printers. In this script you can route
each different class of printer to different remote machines. uux is used
to execute the remote print job.
Make a new device with lpadmin of the type of remote printer , writing to
/dev/null.
Assign for each class [ if used ] the class to the remote printer ( script ).
This gives no security problems. The only thing to do is specify lp as
allowed job in the Permissions file of the remote machine.
that writes to /dev/null and
--
Peter Brouwer,                # Philips Telecommunications and Data Systems,
NET  : pb@idca.tds.philips.nl # Department SSP-P9000 Building V2,

In article <182@inpnms.UUCP>, logan@inpnms.UUCP (James Logan) writes:

|  What's wrong with the rshl(1) command?  If you are on machine "A"
|  and the printer is on machine "Z", just use:
|
|  	rshl Z lp <filename;

  Unless this is a one time hack, why not just setup a printer queue for
it. I have queues on most of my machines to most others, some via rsh
(aka rshl or rcmd) and some by uux. That way when I want PostScript
output I "lpr -dps1 FILE" on any machine.
that the world is flat!" - anon