[comp.unix.i386] Purpose of .i386 newsgroup

bote@csense.UUCP (John Boteler) (10/05/89)

The entry in my ~/newsgroups file for comp.unix.i386 says

"comp.unix.i386		Versions of Unix running on Intel 80386-based boxes."

yet the majority of articles refer to ISC UNIX. In fact, one guy
told me the i386 nomer referred specifically to Interactive's
product.

Am I wrong, along with my newsgroups file, or is there simply
no interest in any other OS running on Intel 80386 boxes in this
newsgroup?

--
Bote
Old & Improved path!: uunet!comsea!csense!bote

dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny) (10/05/89)

In article <385@csense.UUCP>, bote@csense.UUCP (John Boteler) writes:

> Am I wrong, along with my newsgroups file, or is there simply
> no interest in any other OS [ besides Interactive's ]  running
> on Intel 80386 boxes in this newsgroup?

Maybe the other ones simply work as advertised, so nobody has anything
to say about them? :-)

Dan Mocsny
dmocsny@uceng.uc.edu

In article <385@csense.UUCP>, bote@csense.UUCP (John Boteler) writes:
> yet the majority of articles refer to ISC UNIX. In fact, one guy
> told me the i386 nomer referred specifically to Interactive's
> product.

Well, that guy is wrong. I proposed this newsgroup and ran the vote, and I
explicitly included all intel-80386 versions of UNIX in the charter. Not only
are Bell Tech/ENIX/SCO/whatever other System-V versions welcomed, but so is
Sun's 386i.

I'm using iNTeL/Bell Tech System V/386 here.
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'

rcd@ico.ISC.COM (Dick Dunn) (10/06/89)

bote@csense.UUCP (John Boteler) writes about the purpose of this
newsgroup...ostensibly for "Versions of Unix running on Intel 80386-based
boxes" yet
> ...the majority of articles refer to ISC UNIX. In fact, one guy
> told me the i386 nomer referred specifically to Interactive's
> product.

First, no, i386 does not refer to Interactive's product.  Our version is
called 386/ix; that's a trademark of Interactive Systems Corporation.
The "i" in the newsgroup name is for "intel".

Interactive's 386/ix is related to other 386-based AT&T System V.3.2 UNIX
systems in that they all started from the same code base.  I suspect
there's more Interactive chat because our technical staff is active here.

> Am I wrong, along with my newsgroups file, or is there simply
> no interest in any other OS running on Intel 80386 boxes in this
> newsgroup?

There will be discussions of AIX for the 386-based PS/2's (along with a
different AIX for the RT PC and a promised AIX for the 370:-) in
comp.unix.aix.  There is some discussion of SCO's Xenix in comp.unix.xenix.
The discussion about SCO tends to split, although I think we may see more
of them here now that Sys V UNIX and Xenix characteristics have been
merged (in V.3.2).

Also, Dan Mocsny wrote:

> Maybe the other ones simply work as advertised, so nobody has anything
> to say about them? :-)

We'll get you for that, Dan!  Quick, everybody from *.isc.com over to
rec.bicycles!  Start posting pro-automobile articles...make them real
flames, and put "Followup-To: rec.auto"!

Seriously, I think that one of the things that makes for more ISC-related
discussion is that, unlike AT&T or IBM, we don't sell hardware.  That
probably results in more questions about "how do I make this magic card
work?" or "will this card work?"  AT&T, for example, sells certain hard-
ware...they *must* focus on that hardware.  (It's a disaster if their
software doesn't work with their hardware; it's a lot less serious if it
doesn't work with some random piece from another mfgr.)  We don't have the
luxury of saying, "well, it works with ISC hardware" because there isn't
any.  This isn't to say anything negative about AT&T; their situation is
just less required to be open.

(I also like to think it's because we've got more customers doing more
interesting and different things.:-)
--
+---------+     Dick Dunn    rcd@ico.isc.com    ico!rcd      (303)449-2870
| In this |         4th annual MadHatterDay [10/6/89]:
|  style  |            A Thousand Points of Madness
|__10/6___|

paradis@encore.Encore.COM (Jim Paradis) (10/11/89)

In article <385@csense.UUCP> bote@csense.UUCP (John Boteler) writes:
>Am I wrong, along with my newsgroups file, or is there simply
>no interest in any other OS running on Intel 80386 boxes in this
>newsgroup?

Well I, for one, have been intrigued by the ENIX ads that I've been
seeing lately, and I tuned into here figuring that people would have
SOMETHING to say about it.

So, before I drop $$$ on a 386 motherboard upgrade and unix, does anyone
out there have any experiences (good, bad, || indifferent) with ENIX?

Jim Paradis	paradis@encore.com		508-460-0500
"Give that HORSIE some SUGAR CUBES!!!"

dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny) (10/11/89)

In article <16165@vail.ICO.ISC.COM>, rcd@ico.ISC.COM (Dick Dunn) writes:
> Also, Dan Mocsny wrote:
>
> > Maybe the other ones simply work as advertised, so nobody has anything
> > to say about them? :-)
>
> We'll get you for that, Dan!  Quick, everybody from *.isc.com over to
> rec.bicycles!  Start posting pro-automobile articles...make them real
> flames, and put "Followup-To: rec.auto"!

OK, I'm ready this time. I've been refining my arguments, and I'm much
more used to being flamed now. C'mon, Gaswasters!  Let's see what you
can do! :-)

> Seriously, I think that one of the things that makes for more ISC-related
> discussion is that, unlike AT&T or IBM, we don't sell hardware.  That
> probably results in more questions about "how do I make this magic card
> work?" or "will this card work?"

Also, I seem to have a magnetic attraction for computer trouble. Things
happen to me that just don't happen to other people. Like my local
hardware vendor who has been helping get 386/ix running says: "Believe
me, Dan, it's not really as hard as this!" Maybe I should work for
ISC quality control?

But I do have to believe that the entire computer industry needs to
beef up its inter-vendor communication. Vendors must never forget that
success is giving value to the customer, not just dumping crates on a
they should insure that their boards are going to work in that market.
If an OS vendor is selling into a market, they should insure that they
support the hardware that exists in that market. If they don't support
everything, then they should make perfectly clear what they do support
*before* the customer buys.

In the computer industry no single vendor supplies all of the value of
its product. Hardware is only valuable because it runs software,
add-in boards both get value from an existing bus and add value to it,
and so on. To a very large extent, the value a vendor adds is not just
from the technical excellence of its product, but also from the effort
the vendor has put into working out the details with other vendors so
the customer does not have to.

Now historically, in a market economy vendors view themselves as
competing with each other on the basis of how their products "perform."
They usually express "performance" with some raw measure that may
have little or no relation to how the customer perceives value. For
many customers, the only valid benchmark is what I call "Loading
Dock Time," that is the time that elapses between the box landing
on the loading dock and useful work finally coming out of it. The
traditional measure of "performance" has something to do with this,
but much, much more is involved.

A box, an OS, a board, or an application that gets most of its
value from an existing market must work in that market. If the
vendor cannot cope with testing the astronomical number of
product combinations users are likely to get into, then all the
vendors must commit part of their resources toward getting
together and reducing the chaos they have created. If they do
this, they will give more value to the customers, who will then
in turn have more wealth to spend with the vendors.

Dan Mocsny
dmocsny@uceng.uc.edu