[comp.unix.i386] Unix installpkg

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (10/11/89)

  Is there a standard script for UNIX 3.2 install program?
I noticed some UNIX's copy the files over to a directory before
installing them and some mount the floppy than install the software.
Dumb question but is there suppose to be a standard for this?

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda  packbell!indetech!palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun|daisy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400

cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) (10/11/89)

In article <908@fiver.UUCP>, palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:

>   Is there a standard script for UNIX 3.2 install program?
> I noticed some UNIX's copy the files over to a directory before
> installing them and some mount the floppy than install the software.
> Dumb question but is there suppose to be a standard for this?

The "Integrated Software Development Guide" (or something like that) discusses
the installpkg stuff for device drivers (and whatever package you want to
install using that method).

I have looked at the installpkg shells and they do support several different
mechanisms - probably for compatability reasons.  So take your pick.

pcg@aber-cs.UUCP (Piercarlo Grandi) (10/12/89)

In article <908@fiver.UUCP> palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:

      Is there a standard script for UNIX 3.2 install program?
    I noticed some UNIX's copy the files over to a directory before
    installing them and some mount the floppy than install the software.
    Dumb question but is there suppose to be a standard for this?

Yes, especially for installing device drivers; but in general the format is
the same for any type of package. If my memory serves me right, it is
described at length in the ESIX manual, in some appendix, and in the AT&T 10
volume set (I cannot remember whether in the Utilities Release notes or the
SysAdm guide or whatever).

I was recently horrified to see that ISC floppies are in a different format,
albeit similar.
--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!aber-cs!pcg