[comp.unix.i386] Logging in to 386/ix via telnet over, TCP/IP

dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny) (10/05/89)

I have installed 386/ix version 2.0.1 with TCP/IP on a Compaq
Deskpro 386 with a Western Digital Ethercard Plus. This machine
connects via thin ethernet through assorted bridges, repeaters,
broadband, gateway, etc. to the network at our university and
to the Outside World.

I followed the instructions in the Interactive manuals as well as
I could, did the paperwork with our network administrators (well,
vicariously through a human subordinate) to get an Internet address
and domain name, etc. Now I can ftp and telnet to machines from sea
to shining sea (and some in the purple mountains) right here at
my desk. (Wow!) All I need now is a WORM disk so I can download
EVERYTHING. But I digress.

I now bask in riches, yet my heart cannot rejoice freely. For alas!
Though I can telnet to the very ends of the earth, the ends of the
earth cannot telnet back to me. My machine hastens to answer the
distant calls with login: and password: prompts, but though remoteuser
types them with the diligence of the most faithful scribe, my machine
can only rasp the reply "login incorrect".

I have consulted the sacred texts. I have taken counsel with the
wisest men of my village. I have divined the entrails of a goat.  I
have kept myself from women and strong drink. I have used control-J
instead of carriage return.  Still, the Great UNIX ignores my
supplication. Well, I did have this little episode where a deep
slumber came over me (from reading those sacred texts, don't you
know), and a spectre of some guy in a robe appeared before me saying,
"Appeal to the NET, my son..."

So there you have it. To add to my confusion, I note that my machine
will accept rlogin and ftp to passworded accounts, but it will not
allow regular login to any account, passworded or not. I also have
what I think are the right entries in the /etc/hosts and
/etc/hosts.equiv files.

Wise people of the NET! Come to my aid. I thank you, and the rest of
my goats thank you.

Dan Mocsny
dmocsny@uceng.uc.edu

ji@close.columbia.edu (John Ioannidis) (10/05/89)

In article <2316@uceng.UC.EDU> dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny) writes:
>Though I can telnet to the very ends of the earth, the ends of the
>earth cannot telnet back to me. My machine hastens to answer the
>distant calls with login: and password: prompts, but though remoteuser
>types them with the diligence of the most faithful scribe, my machine
>can only rasp the reply "login incorrect".

I was plagued by the same problem for a couple of weeks, then in a
vision I saw the light. Running strings(1) on /etc/telnetd revealed
that the sucker was exec-ing a program called /etc/netlogin. Running
it from my terminal showed a similar behavior to /bin/login. So I
moved /etc/netlogin to /etc/foobar, then copied over /bin/login to
/etc/netlogin and now I can telnet to my heart's content. I can't
guarantee that there will be no side effects, though.

reiner@coma.UUCP (Reiner Petersen) (10/05/89)

In article <2316@uceng.UC.EDU> dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny) writes:
	>Though I can telnet to the very ends of the earth, the ends of the
	>earth cannot telnet back to me. My machine hastens to answer the
	>distant calls with login: and password: prompts, but though remoteuser
	>types them with the diligence of the most faithful scribe, my machine
	>can only rasp the reply "login incorrect".

Since 386/ix Version 2.0 crypted passwords are moved into an extra file,
named /etc/shadow, which is readable only by root. The /etc/passwd file
now contains only an `x' in its password column.

The TELNET protocol server (telnetd) seems to use /etc/netlogin when
creating a login process, which has never heard of /etc/shadow. I solved
that problem by copying the password column from /etc/shadow into
/etc/passwd. Telnet works fine since then, but the security improvement
is gone, it's a lot of unnecessary work and password changes must be
maintained by hand. Therefore this is not an optimal solution. Any hints?
--
Reiner Petersen, TU-Berlin	BITNET: reiner at db0tui62
				UUCP:	reiner@coma

jackv@turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (10/05/89)

In article <2316@uceng.UC.EDU> dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny) writes:

[ flowery introduction deleted....]

>I now bask in riches, yet my heart cannot rejoice freely. For alas!
>Though I can telnet to the very ends of the earth, the ends of the
>earth cannot telnet back to me. My machine hastens to answer the
>distant calls with login: and password: prompts, but though remoteuser
>types them with the diligence of the most faithful scribe, my machine
>can only rasp the reply "login incorrect".

I have not actually used or installed ISC's TCP so I am not sure how it
comes configured out of the box, however it sounds to me like perhaps
it is not configured to run the telnetd, especially since you say that
rlogin and ftp work. Check the file /etc/inetd.conf to see what is and
isn't commented out. The only other possibility that occurs to me, is
that they have added some other default file somewhere which either
allows or prohibits remote logins, check in /etc/default to see if any
TCP/IP related files have been installed there.

Good Luck,

Disclaimer: IMHO only.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -

max@lgc.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) (10/05/89)

In article <2316@uceng.UC.EDU>, dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny) writes:
> I have installed 386/ix version 2.0.1 with TCP/IP on a Compaq
> Though I can telnet to the very ends of the earth, the ends of the
> earth cannot telnet back to me. My machine hastens to answer the
> distant calls with login: and password: prompts, but though remoteuser
> types them with the diligence of the most faithful scribe, my machine
> can only rasp the reply "login incorrect".

There was a bug in 386/ix 2.0.1 that can be worked around by moving the
encrypted password field in the /etc/shadow file to the appropriate place
in the /etc/passwd file.  Granted, this is a kluge, and does not allow
auto updating with the passwd file.  It does allow you to do work, though...
--
Max Heffler                     uucp: ..!uunet!lgc!max
Landmark Graphics Corp.         phone: (713) 579-4751

dipto@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Mr. D. Chakravarty) (10/13/89)

In article <430@coma.UUCP> reiner@coma.UUCP (Reiner Petersen) writes:
>In article <2316@uceng.UC.EDU> dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny) writes:
	>distant calls with login: and password: prompts, but though remoteuser
	>types them with the diligence of the most faithful scribe, my machine
	>can only rasp the reply "login incorrect".

Standard telnet protocol in telnetd uses a file called netlogin, written
to adhere to standard Unix configuration. Logging in, or rather attempting
a log in into a non-standard and/or augmented system with modified /etc/passwd
file confuses the hell out of the protocol.

One has to patch telnetd to make it read the actual password from /etc/shadow
(and /etc/security on RT AIX) so that a graceful login is permitted. Reading
an alphabet 'x' on Release 3.2 and the character '!' on selected AIX systems
thoroughly screws up the Telnet protocol.

Alternatively, a kludge consisting of copying over the password field from
/etc/shadow and/or /etc/security to the standard place in /etc/passwd will
take you around the problem.

Try the second method at first. The former one requiring a patch may be
non-trivial.

--
  dipto@umbc.bitnet  ------\                     /------ !uunet!umbc3!dipto
dipto@umbc3.umbc.edu ------->   In-real-life:   <------- !nerwin!dipto@umbc3