[comp.unix.i386] Boot Problems with 386/ix

fritzz@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu (fritz zaucker) (10/14/89)

Hi,
first of all I want to thank all the people who tried to help
me with my boot problems.
Next all the people who answerd the X11 / Orchid question. To post
the answer: there is an Upgrade from ISC which resolves these problems.

BUT:
I still have problems to boot from the 386/ix floppy disk.
I tried my disk on the machine of a colleague and my diskette and his
both boot without problems on his machine. But neither of them does
on mine. I get the message:
respawnning to fast,
r0  -sh  .....
If I read the manuals they tell me that a program can't be loaded or
something like that. Now I have really no idea what else I could try.
Any suggestions?

By the way, is there any way to enter the system if the passwd file
got corrupted? I can login as a user, but the root password is not
recognized. And remember I can't boot from the floppy disk.
Thanks for any help
Fritz

cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) (10/14/89)

In article <1778@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu>, fritzz@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu (fritz zaucker) writes:
> I tried my disk on the machine of a colleague and my diskette and his
> both boot without problems on his machine. But neither of them does
> on mine. I get the message:
> respawnning to fast,
> r0  -sh  .....

At this point I would tend to blame some problem in the hardware, most
probably the floppy drive.  I  would try to clean the heads on your
floppy drive and/or swap drives with one you know is a good one.

> By the way, is there any way to enter the system if the passwd file
> got corrupted? I can login as a user, but the root password is not
> recognized. And remember I can't boot from the floppy disk.

If you cant boot from the floppy, you are out of luck.  That is why I
always boot to single user mode (and I removed the /etc/sulogin program
and replaced it with a link to /bin/sh).

cindy@spica.ucsc.edu (Cindy Howell) (10/15/89)

(Posted for a friend whose news machine is down)

In article <1278@virtech.UUCP> cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>In article <1778@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu>, fritzz@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu (fritz zaucker) writes:
>> I tried my disk on the machine of a colleague and my diskette and his
>> both boot without problems on his machine. But neither of them does
>> on mine.
[ ... ]
>If you cant boot from the floppy, you are out of luck.  That is why I
>always boot to single user mode (and I removed the /etc/sulogin program
>and replaced it with a link to /bin/sh).

If your friend is a REAL friend you might try this hack:

1. Bring you friend's bootable hard disk drive to your machine.
2. Move your hard disk drive to the second hard disk and install your
   friends as the primary.
3. Diddle with the CMOS so the drive types are correct.
4. Boot. Mount the secondary hard disk and run fsck, change the password
   file or whatever.

Note that you must both have the same hard disk controller type
(although sometimes it is sufficient that they are the same
manufacturer)

Good luck.

Andy Burgess
andy@netcom.uucp