[comp.unix.i386] Text Processing Workbench question

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (10/13/89)

I have a question for you guys and gals.  Does the ISC 386/ix version of the
DWB2.0 provide PostScript output for the LaswerWriter printers, using the
Adobe fonts?  Or does one have to use the Adobe Transcript package?
--
	        harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

marc@dumbcat.UUCP (Marco S Hyman) (10/15/89)

In article <100@vidiot.UUCP> brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:

    I have a question for you guys and gals.  Does the ISC 386/ix version of the
    DWB2.0 provide PostScript output for the LaswerWriter printers, using the
    Adobe fonts?  Or does one have to use the Adobe Transcript package?

Before worying about trivial little things like output formats ask if the
DWB works at all.  The very first thing I tried envolved tbl.  The output
was:

	usage: /usr/bin/tbl [-T X] [--] [file] ... [-]

No matter what the command line that's all the output you'll get.  A call to
ISC confirmed that tbl was broken.  And no, there is no fix.  And yes, it
will be fixed the next release.  Maybe some time this year.

According to the man page the supported output devices are aps (Autologic
APS-5) and i10 (Imagen Imprint 10).

--marc
--
// Marco S. Hyman		{ames,pyramid,sun}!pacbell!dumbcat!marc

kjk@PacBell.COM (Ken Keirnan) (10/16/89)

In article <113@dumbcat.UUCP> marc@dumbcat.UUCP (Marco S Hyman) writes:
[ stuff about DWB and PostScript deleted ]
>Before worying about trivial little things like output formats ask if the
>DWB works at all.  The very first thing I tried envolved tbl.  The output
>was:
>
>	usage: /usr/bin/tbl [-T X] [--] [file] ... [-]
>
>No matter what the command line that's all the output you'll get.  A call to
>ISC confirmed that tbl was broken...

What is specially sad about the problem with "tbl" is that it is so easy to
fix.  The source for "tbl" supplied by AT&T has a minor bug in the main()
routine where an error flag is never initialized to zero (0).  On some systems
it works fine, on others (obviously, ISC) the program always error exits
with a nonexistant syntax error.  Come on ISC, "tbl" is major component of
DWB!  Even if it has a few bugs processing tables it should at least run.

Anyone know of a company offering a debugged version of the standard AT&T
DWB product (I mean inexpensive - just DWB - not Elan, SoftQuad or one of the
other expensive blends).

Ken Keirnan

--

Ken Keirnan - Pacific Bell - {att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!pbhyf!kjk
  San Ramon, California	                    kjk@pbhyf.PacBell.COM

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (10/17/89)

In article <113@dumbcat.UUCP> marc@dumbcat.UUCP (Marco S Hyman) writes:
<<In article <100@vidiot.UUCP> brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
<<
<<I have a question for you guys and gals.  Does the ISC 386/ix version of the
<<DWB2.0 provide PostScript output for the LaserWriter printers, using the
<<Adobe fonts?  Or does one have to use the Adobe Transcript package?
<<
<Before worying about trivial little things like output formats ask if the
<DWB works at all.  The very first thing I tried envolved tbl.  The output
<was:
<
<	usage: /usr/bin/tbl [-T X] [--] [file] ... [-]
<
<No matter what the command line that's all the output you'll get.  A call to
<ISC confirmed that tbl was broken.  And no, there is no fix.  And yes, it
<will be fixed the next release.  Maybe some time this year.

You've got to be kidding.  How can anyone ship a program that is that broken?
Never mind.  I should know better than to ask a question like that.  Is the tbl
still broke if the tbl program is part of a pipe?  Something like:
	soelim file | eqn | tbl | troff

<According to the man page the supported output devices are aps (Autologic
<APS-5) and i10 (Imagen Imprint 10).

Sounds like typical DWB2.0 configuration, which means that the Adobe, or
someone's, package is needed to get the output to a LaserWriter.
--

rick@pcrat.uucp (Rick Richardson) (10/17/89)

In article <113@dumbcat.UUCP> marc@dumbcat.UUCP (Marco S Hyman) writes:
>Before worying about trivial little things like output formats ask if the
>DWB works at all.  The very first thing I tried envolved tbl.  The output
>was:
>	usage: /usr/bin/tbl [-T X] [--] [file] ... [-]
>
>No matter what the command line that's all the output you'll get.  A call to
>ISC confirmed that tbl was broken.  And no, there is no fix.  And yes, it
>will be fixed the next release.  Maybe some time this year.
>
>According to the man page the supported output devices are aps (Autologic
>APS-5) and i10 (Imagen Imprint 10).

There is a fix for 2.0.x "tbl" if you bug ISC enough.  Worst case, you can
get the 1.0.6 "tbl", which didn't show the bug.  This "tbl" problem
must be one of ISC's biggest black eyes, and yet its still like
pulling teeth to get the fix.

You can also get JetRoff from us if you care to print to the
HP LaserJet Series II/IIP or the DeskJet Plus.  This is your
cheapest, fastest troff printing solution.

--
Rick Richardson |       Looking for FAX software for UNIX/386 ??????     mention
PC Research,Inc.|                  WE'RE SHIPPING			 your

jon@wilbur.uucp (Jonathan Broome) (10/18/89)

In article <112@vidiot.UUCP> brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
: In article <113@dumbcat.UUCP> marc@dumbcat.UUCP (Marco S Hyman) writes:
: <Before worying about trivial little things like output formats ask if the
: <DWB works at all.  The very first thing I tried envolved tbl.  The output
: <was:
: <
: <	usage: /usr/bin/tbl [-T X] [--] [file] ... [-]
: <
: <No matter what the command line that's all the output you'll get.  A call to
: <ISC confirmed that tbl was broken.  And no, there is no fix.  And yes, it
: <will be fixed the next release.  Maybe some time this year.
:
: You've got to be kidding.  How can anyone ship a program that is that broken?

According to ISC's tech support folks in Santa Monica, this was one of the
first bug fixes they ever shipped -- it's the "X1" update.  Who told you
that it's broken and won't be fixed?  Call them again and ask about it.

 ---Jonathan Broome
 jon@wilbur.uucp