[comp.unix.i386] PC-Interface, have you used it?

larry@focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) (10/18/89)

Interactive markets a product called PC-Interface. It works in
conjuction with a ms-dos package called DOS Bridge. This package
"provides a transparent integration of the DOS and Unix systems".

I believe these are products of Locus.

It is supposed to work with either an ethernet or a serial link to
between the machines.

Has anyone used this package?

The Unix driver comes standard with 386/ix (2.0.2). The documentation
that came with the system is a little unclear in places and leaves me
with more questions than answers.

It sounds like it provides all the features of NFS and rlogin rolled
into one package. Is this true?

 -Larry

jackv@turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (10/19/89)

In article <LARRY.89Oct17173045@focsys.UUCP> larry@focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:
>Interactive markets a product called PC-Interface. It works in
>conjuction with a ms-dos package called DOS Bridge. This package
>"provides a transparent integration of the DOS and Unix systems".

>I believe these are products of Locus.

Yes, you are correct in your supposition, PCI is a product of Locus,
we just recently completed the ISC port and they now include it in
their runtime package.

>It is supposed to work with either an ethernet or a serial link to
>between the machines.

Yes this is also true.

>Has anyone used this package?

Most of the users around Locus are manager types who need a PC to run
their Lotus spreadsheets and fancy DOS presentation packages on, but
still need to communicate with Unix developers :-}.

>The Unix driver comes standard with 386/ix (2.0.2). The documentation
>that came with the system is a little unclear in places and leaves me
>with more questions than answers.

I also have the ISC release but have not looked at their documentation.
As far as I know, installation should be nearly painless. Basically, it
is just a couple of demons that service the DOS-side, they are started
upon going multiuser, I don't think there is much configuration.

>It sounds like it provides all the features of NFS and rlogin rolled
>into one package. Is this true?

Yes, I would say this is basically a fair summary. Be aware that all
Interactive is giving you is the Unix server, to use the package will
still require that one buy the DOS package from Locus. I would be
interested in hearing from readers of this group that do try and use
the package, I think you will find it quite nice. Oh yes, if you wish
to contact Locus sales about the DOS bridge our main switchboard is
at (213) 670-6500.

Disclaimer: This is not an official statement, IMHO.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -

logan@inpnms.UUCP (James Logan) (10/20/89)

#
# Has anyone used this package?
#
# It sounds like it provides all the features of NFS and rlogin rolled
# into one package. Is this true?

Yes.  I used it back in '85.  Very nice package back then, it
must have improved quite a bit in the past 4 years.  It allowed a
DOS user to connect to a server daemon on one or more UNIX host.
Each host was assigned its own virtual drive under DOS.

On the UNIX side, the server that was forked by the daemon would
change to your home directory initially, so you wouldn't start
writing all over the root partition.  All regular DOS commands
worked as usual.  It came with a few DOS commands that imitated
"ls" and "chmod" too.

The only thing it was lacking at the time was the ability to
run a UNIX command from DOS.  Maybe they have added that, I don't
know.  It would have been nice to have been able to use a
command, like "unix" that ran its arguments as a command.

Commands like:

	C:\> unix mailx

would have been useful.  I don't think it would have been that
difficult to implement.

It does work over the serial line as well.  You get a DOS
terminal window so you can dial up the host and login as usual,
then you invoke an executable, hit a function key on the PC, and
you're connected as you would be using TCP/IP, although much
slower.

			-Jim
--
James Logan                       UUCP: uunet!inpnms!logan
Data General Telecommunications   Inet: logan%inpnms@uunet.uu.net

bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) (10/20/89)

In article <LARRY.89Oct17173045@focsys.UUCP>, larry@focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:
> Interactive markets a product called PC-Interface. It works in
> conjuction with a ms-dos package called DOS Bridge. This package
> "provides a transparent integration of the DOS and Unix systems".
>
> I believe these are products of Locus.
>
> It is supposed to work with either an ethernet or a serial link to
> between the machines.
>
> Has anyone used this package?
>
> The Unix driver comes standard with 386/ix (2.0.2). The documentation
> that came with the system is a little unclear in places and leaves me
> with more questions than answers.
>
> It sounds like it provides all the features of NFS and rlogin rolled
> into one package. Is this true?

I have used PC-Interface with UNIX, NCR Tower, Unisys, and Arix machines.
It does provide logical disks on the unix host for the PC machine, and
can even re-direct printer output, but dos not provide any other access
for the PC to the UNIX host.  However, the unix machine can put files in,
or read files from the "logical drive" of the PC, which is nothing more
than a login directory for the PC.  IBM resells a version of this for AIX
called DOS SERVICES or something like that.  XENIX-NET from SCO provides
similar services as well, and I have used that for XENIX.  Both of these
also provide somewhat brain damaged terminal emulators, but in fact,
PC-FACET supports PC-INTERFACE to allow full windowed terminal emulation
etc.

Both are valuable products, and do what they claim quite well,  however,
neither provides what you would expect from a full version of NFS.

bruce
	Bruce A. McIntyre, McIntyre Designs, Inc. VOICE(215)322-1895
	143 Bridgetown Pike, Langhorne, Pa. 19047 DATA (215)357-2915
	{wells|lgnp1}!mdi386!bruce		bruce@mdi386 tbit+

dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) (10/25/89)

In article <LARRY.89Oct17173045@focsys.UUCP> larry@focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:
>Interactive markets a product called PC-Interface. It works in
>conjuction with a ms-dos package called DOS Bridge. This package
>"provides a transparent integration of the DOS and Unix systems".
>[...]
> -Larry

We are using PC-Interface extensively here with our Prime EXL hosts.  It
provides the following services to an MS-DOS PC over either any of a large list
of ethernet controllers or the com1/2: ports:

	Connections to multiple unix hosts simultaneously.

	Each connected host's unix files system appears as as DOS drive letter.
	Non-DOS acceptable filenames are mapped to unique DOS names with funny
	chars.  At the beginning of the connection, the current directory is
	set to the user's home directory.  It then changes with the dos CD
	command according to MS DOS rules.  DOS file attributes (ie readonly
	and modification time) are correctly mapped.

	There is a DOS command "on" with syntax like "on [systemname or drive-
	letter] unixcommand" which will run unix task(s) either synchronously
	or asynchronously. (ie it recognizes a terminating ampersand) and which
	accepts input and output redirection.  This works well, and we use it
	heavily.  Example, we login via a batch file contain a line like:
	on sysname 'date %T' |time >nul:
	which sets the time clock on the DOS machine to match the unix system's.

	There is a printer command which allows you to redirect separately
	LPT1:, LPT2:, LPT3: into any unix command.  The default is set by the
	host, usually "lp", but we've used things like "tee -a logfile |lp
	-dPagePrinter -oLANDSCAPE" very successfully.  This especially useful
	when using Postscript printers with DOS programs that don't support
	Postscript...just have a printer interface option to preface the print
	job with a simple postscript lineprinter program.

	There is a slightly braindamaged vt100 terminal emulator program that
	works over either the ethernet or the serial ports.  Once you have
	connected to a system, you can pop back and forth between a unix
	login session and DOS with a function key.  We found it useful to buy
	SuperKey, a DOS keyboard Macro program, and use it to remap function
	keys etc used with this program.

All in, we find it a very useful package.  The version we have (2.8.7) is
very painless and reliable.  The "on" command is especially useful within
batch files.  We have DOS users running things on the unix hosts all the time
without even knowing that's what's happening.

Good luck
Dan

P.S. You may be curious to know that it use UDP/IP, not TCP for the ethernet
communication.  I beleive their are efficiency reasons for doing this, but I'm
no expert.