[net.followup] faulty outlets/extension cord, overrated dimmer

dts@gitpyr.UUCP (Danny Sharpe) (01/17/85)

In article <176@abnji.UUCP> jeff@abnji.UUCP (jeff) writes:
> WARNING: The "Electripak" brand of multiple outlet center (an extension
> cord with 6 outlets, switch & circuit breaker, commonly used with micros)
> has loose wires!!!!!  Internally, there are 3 duplex outlets connected
> using the push-in connectors.  Some of the wires are not pushed in all
> the way.  I had one pull out with no problem - suggesting faulty
> assembly.  All the parts are U.L. listed.  At $8.97 at Grossman's it's
> the cheapest (least expensive), but the wiring is gross, man.

Boy, I'm glad you posted this. I just happen to have one of these (got
it for Christmas. Just wait 'til I get my hands on the cheapskate who
gave it to me! (:-)))

I opened mine up last night. All the wires are pushed in the holes
firmly, BUT the middle duplex outlet was the only one that was connected
to the green wire from the power cord. The result was that only two
out of the six outlets in the power strip had their third holes grounded.

Sounds to me like it's recall time!

-- Either Argle-Bargle IV or someone else. --

Danny Sharpe
School of ICS
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!dts

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (01/22/85)

> > WARNING: The "Electripak" brand of multiple outlet center (an extension
> > cord with 6 outlets, switch & circuit breaker, commonly used with micros)
> > has loose wires!!!!!
>
> I opened mine up last night. All the wires are pushed in the holes
> firmly, BUT the middle duplex outlet was the only one that was connected
> to the green wire from the power cord. The result was that only two
> out of the six outlets in the power strip had their third holes grounded.

We checked two that we have here.  The ground to the other two duplex
outlets is supposed to be via the outlet mounting screws and the
metal case.  Unfortunately, the outlet mounting screws on ours were
not tightened down enough for the lock washers to cut through the
paint on the case.  We fixed that!
--
Doug Pardee -- Terak Corp. -- !{hao,ihnp4,decvax}!noao!terak!doug

jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) (01/22/85)

>From: dts@gitpyr.UUCP (Danny Sharpe)

>I opened mine up last night. All the wires are pushed in the holes
>firmly, BUT the middle duplex outlet was the only one that was connected
>to the green wire from the power cord. The result was that only two
>out of the six outlets in the power strip had their third holes grounded.

Ground wires don't necessarily have to connect to every socket.  The
ground connection on an electrical outlet is CONNECTED TO THE METAL
MOUNTING BRACKET.  This means that as long as all the outlets are
screwed into a COMMON PIECE OF METAL then they all share the ground
connection.  Connecting the green wire to the center outlet sounds like
a good way of providing a ground for all of them.

All of the outlet boxes I have seen are either all metal or have a
front panel made of metal.  So if the outlets are all screwed or
riveted to that common piece of metal THEY ARE ALL GROUNDED if any one
of them is.

Grounded outlets run in metal conduit don't connect a ground wire to
any of the outlets.  The ground connection is made when the outlet is
screwed into the box.  In case you are worried about how good this
connection is, remember that the mounting bracket is heavier than the
copper wire and secured by two screws.  It is therefor a much better
connection than a single screw or push on clip.

				Jerry Aguirre @ Olivetti ATC
{hplabs|fortune|idi|ihnp4|tolerant|allegra|tymix}!oliveb!jerry