[comp.unix.i386] Where to purchase ISC and/or SCO UNIX sys V

jrs2p@bellman.acc.Virginia.EDU (Jonathan R. Senning) (10/15/89)

Hello,

I would like any information about places to purchase Interactive Systems
Corp.'s version of unix system V version 3.2 for the 386.  Do any mail
order houses sell it or do I need to contact ISC directly.  What about
sources for SCO's unix (not xenix) system V version 3.2?

What is the price comparison between ISC and SCO for a workstation setup
with X windows (including development packages)?  Which is better?

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan Senning                   REPLY TO: jrs2p@virginia.edu
Department of Applied Mathematics
University of Virginia

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (10/15/89)

In article <999@babbage.acc.virginia.edu> jrs2p@Virginia.EDU (Jonathan R. Senning) writes:
>Hello,
>
>I would like any information about places to purchase Interactive Systems
>Corp.'s version of unix system V version 3.2 for the 386.  ....  What about
>sources for SCO's unix (not xenix) system V version 3.2?

From the Programmer's Connection catalog, 800 336 1166 or +1 216 494 3781.
All prices include shipping within the US.  They used to carry SCO but
don't any more.  My impression is that SCO's prices are somewhat higher that
Interactive's, but with the various package pricing deals the only way to
know is to figure out exactly what you want.

386/ix complete (runtime, software development, text processing)
			list	net
	1-2 user	1239	1099
	unlimited	1735	1499

386/ix runtime
			list	net
	1-2 user	349	309
	unlimited	695	619

386/ix software development (C compiler, sccs, yacc, lex, sdb, etc.)
			list	net
	unlimited	695	619

386/ix TCP/IP
			list	net
	unlimited	395	359

386/ix TCP/IP and NFS
			list	net
	1-2 user	595	539
	unlimited	795	719

386/ix text processing (troff, nroff, eqn, pic, etc.)
			list	net
	1-2 user	195	179
	unlimited	345	309

VP/ix (DOS under Unix)
			list	net
	1-2 user	395	359
	unlimited	795	719

X11.3 development system
			list	net
	unlimited	795	719
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus|spdcc}!esegue!johnl

davef@lakesys.lakesys.com (Dave Fenske) (10/15/89)

Yes, by all means purchase via mail order.  AFter all, you wouldn't want to
help your own state's economy, would you.

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (10/16/89)

<
<I would like any information about places to purchase Interactive Systems
<Corp.'s version of unix system V version 3.2 for the 386.  Do any mail
<order houses sell it or do I need to contact ISC directly.  What about
<sources for SCO's unix (not xenix) system V version 3.2?

From Programmer's Connection  (800) 336-1166

386/ix complete system (runtime, SDS, TPW)
	1-2	$1099
	multi	$1499
386/ix Multiview
	$499
386/ix NFS
	1-2	$359
	multi	$539
386/ix runtime module
	1-2	$309
	multi	$619
386/ix Software Development System (SDS)
	$619
386/ix TCP/IP - Host-Based Version
	$359
386/ix Text Processing Workbench (TPW)
	1-2	$179
	multi	$309
Application Development Platform
	(complete system, VP/ix, TEN/PLUS user interface)
	1-2	$1299
	multi	$1929
Application Platform
	(runtime, VP/ix, TEN/PLUS User interface)
	1-2	$669
	multi	$1299
Host Based TCP/IP and NFS Bundle
	1-2	$539
	multi	$719
Network Connection Facilities
	$269
TEN/PLUS Mail system
	$269
TEN/PLUS Programmer's Tool Kit
	$179
TEN/PLUS User Interface
	$125
VP/ix
	1-2	$359
	multi	$719
X11.3 Development System
	$719
--
	        harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!root

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (10/16/89)

In article <1205@lakesys.lakesys.com> davef@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Fenske) writes:
: Yes, by all means purchase via mail order.  AFter all, you wouldn't want to
: help your own state's economy, would you.

Such ignorance!

If you knew beans about economics, you'd know that *trade*,
including, among other things, buying by mail order, is essential to
a healthy economy. Small economies that don't trade, or that restrict
trade, are self destructive, causing their members a lower standard of
living and denying them the best of what is available.

Buying from somewhere solely because it is "local" is just another
variety of chauvinism.

And stupid, as well.

Followups have been directed to alt.flame.

---
bill@twwells.com

palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (10/17/89)

From article <1989Oct14.225255.8107@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us>, by johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine):
> In article <999@babbage.acc.virginia.edu> jrs2p@Virginia.EDU (Jonathan R. Senning) writes:
> From the Programmer's Connection catalog, 800 336 1166 or +1 216 494 3781.
> 386/ix complete (runtime, software development, text processing)
> 			list	net
> 	1-2 user	1239	1099
> 	unlimited	1735	1499
>
> 386/ix runtime
> 			list	net
> 	1-2 user	349	309
> 	unlimited	695	619

  This is wierd, why does one pay 80 more in the difference in the
  1-2 user vs unlimited? Note below that the C devolopment system
  only comes in unlimited.

 VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

> 386/ix software development (C compiler, sccs, yacc, lex, sdb, etc.)
> 			list	net
> 	unlimited	695	619

 So the only explaination I see is below. A difference in the
 price of the 1-2 user version of the Text Processing package?

> 386/ix text processing (troff, nroff, eqn, pic, etc.)
> 			list	net
> 	1-2 user	195	179
> 	unlimited	345	309

  How do they do that? Do the 1 to 2 user versions programs of
  nroff, troff, go around checking to see if more than one
  user is logged in? Will the 1-2 user version work with NFS?

  Do they sell a 1 to 2 user verion of the C Development System
  cheaper?

> X11.3 development system
> 			list	net
> 	unlimited	795	719

  Do they sell a 1 to 2 user version of X11.3 cheaper?

---Bob

--
 Bob Palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*                   login: bbs
 Work: {sun,decwrl,pyramid}!megatest!palowoda

root@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (10/17/89)

> What is the price comparison between ISC and SCO for a workstation setup
> with X windows (including development packages)?  Which is better?

You will get different answers on this question - but here are my
2 cents worth.

I originally went with Interactive 2.02 purchased from ISC in Hollis,
NH. The technical support out of Hollis is bad - I mean real bad.  You
ask them a question about modem configuration - and they say "we don't
support the type of modem since it doesn't work" instead of trying to
isolate the problems (which by the way was is in their drivers).   After
numerous problems and complaints - which all went ignored by Brian @
technical support in Hollis - I threatened to return the product and
charge back the about to their account that they posted on the Visa.
Brian called and made a list of my problems and said he would get back
to me - which he never did.  Calls to Kurt Lynn (he runs the Hollis
office) also went un-answered.

I ended up selling my copy of ISC - and the new owner is running into
some of the same problems.  Tech support is needed since the manuals
are so very bad - and major items are left out.  ISC blames the problem
in AT&T - yet the SCO manuals are well written.

I found out this week that no upgrade is available from 1.06 (for a friend) - one has
to purchased a complete set of the latest release unless unless on one of the
support plans.  This is crazy.

ISC has major problems - most of them relating to support (ie: the Hollis
office).  The Hollis office wasn't aware of the X5 kernel configuration
kit 4 weeks after it was released.

I could go on and on - but I won't.  I would suggest keeping away from ISC.
SCO Unix has a few problems - but based on their Xenix product and responses -
they will be fixed if they currently are not.

In article <1205@lakesys.lakesys.com> davef@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Fenske) writes:
>Yes, by all means purchase via mail order.  AFter all, you wouldn't want to
>help your own state's economy, would you.

I'll add to that:

Yes, by all means purchase via mail order.  You wouldn't want to >be able to
get help when you need it< would you?

Think about it.  If you buy at the lowest price, >something< was left out.
Since the products are the same, it's usually the support that gets left out.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]

madd@world.std.com (jim frost) (10/26/89)

In article <1989Oct25.141337.10039@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
|Think about it.  If you buy at the lowest price, >something< was left out.
|Since the products are the same, it's usually the support that gets left out.

A good many people don't need reseller support when they need support
at all.  Resellers often just call the original vendor and get back to
you.  This lag, and the obvious secondhand information that it
implies, leads me to buy from the resellers and work with the original
vendor.  This is useful to both of us since I'll find a fix on my own
and be sure to tell the vendor about it.

Note that I'm speaking of software here.  Hardware is usually a
different story.

jim frost
software tool & die     "The World" Public Access Unix for the '90s
madd@std.com            +1 617-739-WRLD  24hrs {3,12,24}00bps

dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny) (10/27/89)

In article <1989Oct25.141337.10039@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
> Yes, by all means purchase via mail order.  You wouldn't want to >be able to
> get help when you need it< would you?
>
> Think about it.  If you buy at the lowest price, >something< was left out.

If you need help, something certainly was left out. Namely, the work
necessary to deliver a functioning product. (If the product doesn't
function because of factors the vendor can't conveniently control, or
doesn't want to control, that doesn't matter, because the vendor took
your money anyway.)

Dan Mocsny
dmocsny@uceng.uc.edu

" Maynard) (10/27/89)

In article <1989Oct25.141337.10039@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>Yes, by all means purchase via mail order.  You wouldn't want to >be able to
>get help when you need it< would you?
>Think about it.  If you buy at the lowest price, >something< was left out.
>Since the products are the same, it's usually the support that gets left out.

After all, since the manufacturers don't believe in supporting their
product, that job is left to the dealers...

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jay@splut.conmicro.com       (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.