[comp.unix.i386] > 2 ttys under 386/ix

mark@gizzmo.UUCP (mark hilliard) (11/11/89)

In article <[255805d3:128.1]comp.unix.i386;1@nstar.UUCP> akcs.larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>>Are there any serial cards with 8 or 16 serial ports that are
>>supported by Interactive's 386/ix?
>
>Interactive's attitude (unlike SCO) is to let the vendors distribute
>their own drivers - and they will only ship the OS.

Sorry to surprise you but Interactive ships support for the Bell Tech
HUB and ICC multiport I/O boards WITH THEIR BASIC SYSTEM.  I am currently
running several of the intelligent ICC boards and am very happy with the
responce time, though I am having trouble with the installation of one
on a Mylex board.

PLEASE MAKE SURE OF YOUR FACTS WHEN MAKING SUCH BROAD STATEMENTS ABOUT
ANY COMPANY.

Mark Hilliard
N2HHR
rutgers!rochester!kodak!gizzmo!mark

asv@gaboon.UUCP (Stan Voket) (11/12/89)

In article <6603@columbia.edu> ji@close.cs.columbia.edu (John Ioannidis) writes:
>Are there any serial cards with 8 or 16 serial ports that are
>supported by Interactive's 386/ix?
>
>Please reaply by e-mail and I'll summarize to the net.
>
>/ji

I've recently installed an Equinox Megaport 24 port board in my 386/25
box.  (It sounds like alot of ports but their 12 port board hasn't hit
the streets quite yet.) This board is GREAT!  I've been able to
accomplish things that I've always wanted to with smart boards.  I've
got the following devices hung off it.

1- Old Epson mx80 with a serial to parallel adapter. 1200 baud.
1- Brother daisy wheel printer at 9600 baud
1- Wyse 60 terminal operating at 38400 baud.
1- Telebit Trailblazer doing bi-directional news at 19200 baud.
1- Microsoft serial mouse for X window use.
1- x10 house control computer interface box.

I used to have the Telebit and the mouse on the standard COM ports
along with the mx80 printer.  By using the Equinox board I was able to
get all my devices on one board and eliminate the COM board and free
up a slot.

If you have any specific questions please respond to the net as I've having sendmail configuration nightmares.

| - Stan Voket, asv@gaboon - OR - ...uunet!hsi!stpstn!gaboon!asv       |
|               Land Line: (203) 746-4489  TELEX 4996516             - |