[comp.unix.i386] date: bad conversion

jma@abel.UUCP (Jeff Abrahamson) (11/11/89)

	I have been having news articles come in and put in *files*
with bad dates.  That is, I can do an "ls -l nnnn" and find out how long
they've been here, but if I try to do a "touch nnnn", I get the
message "date: bad conversion".  This is the file!  (Needless to say,
I have some expire problems, too.)

	Has anyone seen this?  It doesn't seem to be just the expire
bug, though, since most articles expire normally.

	Reply by mail and I'll post a summary if demand warrants.

-Jeff

--
----------
Jeff Abrahamson			jma@abel.uucp, abel!jma@manta.pha.pa.us

In article <452@abel.UUCP>, jma@abel.UUCP (Jeff Abrahamson) writes:

> 	I have been having news articles come in and put in *files*
> with bad dates.  That is, I can do an "ls -l nnnn" and find out how long
> they've been here, but if I try to do a "touch nnnn", I get the
> message "date: bad conversion".  This is the file!  (Needless to say,
> I have some expire problems, too.)

The problem with touch is that the first argument, if numeric, is interpreted
to be the date/time to set the file to.  In your case you want to set a numeric
file to the current date.  This can be accomplished by the following:

	touch ./nnnn