[comp.unix.i386] multiple tape drives with ISC 386/ix

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (11/14/89)

Now that we have customers with 60 MB, 120 MB and 150 MB tape drives,
I am faced with a problem. We want to (1) WRITE 60 MB tapes (for software
distribution), (2) WRITE 150 MB tapes (for efficient backups), and
(3) READ everybody's tapes.

For now, no single tape drive is able to perform such a task,
so I am looking for a solution with multiple drives.

The scenario I have in mind is to have an Archive VIPER SCSI
tape drive for (2) and (3), and a regular Wangtek 60 MB drive,
or an Archive 60 MB SCSI drive for (1).

Is there any reason why one of these configurations could not work?

My hesitation is caused by the 2.0.2 release notes, which state
that the Archive SCSI drive can only be used with it's "native"
capacity. Now what I understand, the "native capacity" of the
Archive VIPER depends on the cartridge being used. What gives ?

I would appreciate any hints, tips, suggestions, horror stories
and other experiences.

Thanks in advance,
Pim.
--
Pim Zandbergen                                   domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                                  uucp   : ..!uunet!ctisbv!pim

pdg@chinet.chi.il.us (Paul Guthrie) (11/16/89)

In article <1624@ctisbv.cti-software.nl> pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:
>Now that we have customers with 60 MB, 120 MB and 150 MB tape drives,
>I am faced with a problem. We want to (1) WRITE 60 MB tapes (for software
>distribution), (2) WRITE 150 MB tapes (for efficient backups), and
>(3) READ everybody's tapes.
>The scenario I have in mind is to have an Archive VIPER SCSI
>tape drive for (2) and (3), and a regular Wangtek 60 MB drive,
>or an Archive 60 MB SCSI drive for (1).
>Is there any reason why one of these configurations could not work?

This should work.  The VIPER 150 can read both 150 and 60 MB tapes
(I *have* tried this), but indeed only write the 150 MBs.  The dual
config should work, especially if you use the wangtek or archive
with its own controller, as this uses a different driver, different
major device number, and different /dev entry names.  I can't vouch
for how running two SCSI tapes work, although theoretically that too
should work, just as long as you assign different SCSI IDs.  Let
us know what you find out.

--
Paul Guthrie
chinet!nsacray!paul