[comp.unix.i386] Tape backup

drich@dialogic.UUCP (Dan Rich) (11/14/89)

  I am in the process of looking for a tape backup system for our UNIX
(ISC 386/ix) and MSDos (Novell Netware 286 v 2.15).  Does anyone know
of a high capacity (> 1Gig) system that will run under both of these?

  I am really interested in DAT, but I can't find any DAT vendors that
support UNIX.  The only other option that I have seen is 8mm, but I
have heard that they aren't very reliable.  Can anyone tell me
otherwise?

  We are getting rather desparate, so if anyone can offer any help, I
would appreciate it.

--
- Dan Rich              |                           |   Dialogic Corporation
  drich@dialogic.UUCP   | - Time is an illusion.    |   300 Littleton Rd

akcs.larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (11/14/89)

>  I am in the process of looking for a tape backup system for our UNIX
>(ISC 386/ix) and MSDos (Novell Netware 286 v 2.15).  Does anyone know
>of a high capacity (> 1Gig) system that will run under both of these?
>  I am really interested in DAT, but I can't find any DAT vendors that
>support UNIX.  The only other option that I have seen is 8mm, but I
>have heard that they aren't very reliable.  Can anyone tell me
>otherwise?

Well, in the latest Tech Data catalog they had several DAT products
and drivers for SCO (Xenix I believe).  I would suggest contacting your
vendor and have them contact Tech Data for details - maybe a driver for ISC
is available - but don't put yourself in a position with ISC of sending

peter@ontmoh.UUCP (Peter Renzland) (11/15/89)

Dan Rich (drich@dialogic.UUCP) writes:

>   I am in the process of looking for a tape backup system for our UNIX
> (ISC 386/ix) and MSDos (Novell Netware 286 v 2.15).  Does anyone know
> of a high capacity (> 1Gig) system that will run under both of these?
>
>   I am really interested in DAT, but I can't find any DAT vendors that
> support UNIX.  The only other option that I have seen is 8mm, but I
> have heard that they aren't very reliable.  Can anyone tell me
> otherwise?

Check out:

Archival Storage Devices Inc.
345 Nugget Ave, Unit 22
Scarborough, Ontario
Canada M1S 4J4
416/299-4711 FAX: 416/321-2421

Sphinx DDT-1200/1100 uses 4mm DAT, > 1Gb, SCSI interface,
transfer rate: 192 kb/s

The blurb says UNIX, MSDOS, OS/2, networks, etc.
Price is around $6,000 CDN.

I expect to talk to them next week, and check one out.

--
Peter Renzland @ Ontario Ministry of Health  416/964-9141  peter@ontmoh.UUCP

dirk@dksoft.incom.de (Dirk Koeppen) (11/16/89)

Dan Rich (drich@dialogic.UUCP) writes:
> I am really interested in DAT, but I can't find any DAT vendors that
> support UNIX.

I am using a GIGATAPE DAT-tape with 1,2G and SCSI Bus. They have drivers
for nearly all UNIX systems available. They also told me that it runs
with the SCSI version of XENIX or SCO-UNIX. I wrote a driver for the
386/ix OS due the ISC SCSI-tape driver can not handle variable block
sized devices.

Transfer rates are about 120-140 KB/sec. using finc or any other
block-based backup tools. Do not believe in transfer-rates above this,
most of the vendors are telling you the maximum transfer rate possible
with the DAT drive not with the embedded SCSI controller.

It is also very important to have a fast disk drive and a large buffer
on the DAT-tape device. There is no need for transfer rates above 90 KB/sec.
due backup programs like cpio or tar can not give the constant transfer rate
which is need for the DAT or V8 tapes. If I use cpio for backup the transfer
rate falls as low as 40-70 KB/sec. due the tape goes into heavy start and stop
operations when it reaches directories like /dev/, /usr/include or the news
spool directory.

For Information:

GIGATAPE Systeme fuer Datensicherung GmbH
Benzstr. 28
D-8039 Puchheim
West Germany

Tel. 049 89 80 7002

They have several offices in the States and Europe too.

cu,
dirk@incom.de

richard@pegasus.uucp (Richard Foulk) (11/18/89)

>   I am in the process of looking for a tape backup system for our UNIX
> (ISC 386/ix) and MSDos (Novell Netware 286 v 2.15).  Does anyone know
> of a high capacity (> 1Gig) system that will run under both of these?
>
>   I am really interested in DAT, but I can't find any DAT vendors that
> support UNIX.  The only other option that I have seen is 8mm, but I
> have heard that they aren't very reliable.  Can anyone tell me
> otherwise?

I don't know who told you that the 8mm units wheren't reliable, but
that's not what I've experienced at all.  There are a fair number
of people that have reported good results with them in comp.sys.sun.
I've heard very few complaints.  Ours works quite well.

They're also more mature than DATs, you can buy tapes at the drug
store, etc., for six or seven bucks.  And they hold twice as much.

It's real nice to just load a tape and go home -- unattended backups.

Richard