[comp.unix.i386] SCO UNIX Development

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (10/24/89)

  This is kind of a dumb question but what is happening with
  SCO UNIX 3.2 platform?

  Is the development system out?

  What do the owners think of the price/perfomance ratio?

  How many users are on your SCO UNIX system?

  Do they all use the X-windows that comes with it?

  Now that ATT and Sun is going to release UNIX 4.0 real soon is
  SCO going to have a 4.0 release?

  Does Codeview work with the PCC compiler?

  Is the fast file system the same as ISC's?

  A related question is how would you benchmark the two?

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda  pacbell!indetech!palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun|daisy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400

terry@tah386.manhattan.ks.us (Terry Hull) (11/12/89)

In article <914@fiver.UUCP> palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:

>  Is the development system out?
The development system is available now.  I am using it, and in general
like it a lot.  It does have some problems, like no floating-point
in CodeView.  Also, the cvtomf dumps core on some GNU Emacs files.

>  What do the owners think of the price/perfomance ratio?
I think it is about the same as SCO XENIX.  UNIX costs more and you get
more.

>  How many users are on your SCO UNIX system?
Just me.  The performance is DOWN with UNIX.  When something like
rnews or expire is running in the background, everything else pretty
much comes to a halt.  I am running the Acer Fast file system with
a track buffered Western Digital disk controller board.

>  Do they all use the X-windows that comes with it?
Yes, I use it, but you need X windows for DOS and Ethernet to
support X users.

>  Now that ATT and Sun is going to release UNIX 4.0 real soon is
>  SCO going to have a 4.0 release?
I assume so.  I also assume it will be quite a while before 4.0
materializes.  Look how long it took to get a R3 version of SCO. . .

>  Does Codeview work with the PCC compiler?
Nope.  It will only work with x.out files

>  Is the fast file system the same as ISC's?
Nope.  It is not the same and I do not know how they compare.

PS.  It is nice to be back reading c.u.x.  I've been swamped for
about the last month so news went out the window.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University

In article <602@tah386.manhattan.ks.us>, terry@tah386.manhattan.ks.us (Terry Hull) writes:

|  >  How many users are on your SCO UNIX system?
|  Just me.  The performance is DOWN with UNIX.  When something like
|  rnews or expire is running in the background, everything else pretty
|  much comes to a halt.  I am running the Acer Fast file system with
|  a track buffered Western Digital disk controller board.

  If this is a common problem Xenix may be with us. I was planning to
upgrade in January, but any less performance would be unacceptable. Do
other people find that news bogs the machine?
that the world is flat!" - anon

paine@rust.dec.com (Willy Paine) (11/15/89)

In article <1603@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> you write:
>In article <602@tah386.manhattan.ks.us>, terry@tah386.manhattan.ks.us (Terry Hull) writes:
>
>|  >  How many users are on your SCO UNIX system?
>|  Just me.  The performance is DOWN with UNIX.  When something like
>|  rnews or expire is running in the background, everything else pretty
>|  much comes to a halt.  I am running the Acer Fast file system with
>|  a track buffered Western Digital disk controller board.
>
>  If this is a common problem Xenix may be with us. I was planning to
>upgrade in January, but any less performance would be unacceptable. Do
>other people find that news bogs the machine?

I used to run C News on Interactive 386 and now I am running Xenix/386
with B News.   I think C News would be much better with busy machine
because this allow to run full news batch on specific time (C News' rnews
just move batch to in-comming file directory).  If you still want B News
or any News software, I suggest to get newsfeed during night time.  B
News's rnews will push Xenix down on performance but I think there will
be more problem with new SCO Unix and I will install C News instead of
B News.

I have tested SCO Unix in separate machine and I plan to move this into
busy BBS machine.  My opinion is that SCO Unix is not for everyone.  I
take this because I have alot of experience with System V on the job and
I feel more comfortable with this than Xenix.   Xenix is not a true
System V but this is alot lighter than real System V on saving disk
and memory spaces.   For SCO Unix, I am not happy with SCO adding more
files that I don't really need like MMDF mail, Security, extra copies
of inittab files etc.   I recommend SCO to offer two version: full and
lite version.   As far as I am awared, SCO Unix is better with modem than
Xenix, especially autobauds on Unix while Xenix needs break signals.
I heard many reports that SCO Unix can not run over 9600 bauds but I did
many testing with Telebit with 19200 bauds without any problem.

I will keep post with you on installing News in SCO Unix.

willy
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%   Willy Paine                      BBS/FAX +1-206-822-4615   %

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (11/15/89)

>  If this is a common problem Xenix may be with us. I was planning to
>upgrade in January, but any less performance would be unacceptable. Do
>other people find that news bogs the machine?

Not any more.  Get C News + the various speedups and NICE changes I've done
and you don't even notice when news is running.

--
Branch Technology  <zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us>

akcs.larry@nstar.UUCP (*Unknown*) (11/17/89)

>lite version.   As far as I am awared, SCO Unix is better with modem than
>Xenix, especially autobauds on Unix while Xenix needs break signals.
>I heard many reports that SCO Unix can not run over 9600 bauds but I did
>many testing with Telebit with 19200 bauds without any problem.
>
>I will keep post with you on installing News in SCO Unix.

Please do.  SCO Unix is in my plans - maybe this summer but running
4 high speed modems (all locked) is a must (on a dumb card).

Larry

terry@tah386.manhattan.ks.us (Terry Hull) (11/19/89)

In article <1989Nov15.140120.6287@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us> zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>>  If this is a common problem Xenix may be with us. I was planning to
>>upgrade in January, but any less performance would be unacceptable. Do
>>other people find that news bogs the machine?
>
>Not any more.  Get C News + the various speedups and NICE changes I've done
>and you don't even notice when news is running.

Sorry, you missed the point here.  I wrote the article about there
being a problem on SCO UNIX when news was running.  The point was not
that news was a problem undex UNIX, the point was that anything that
is extremely disk intensive causes a problem.  You only solve a small
part of the problem by making news more efficient.  What happens when
someone is running a cpio pipeline through compress?  This also slows
my SCO UNIX system down to a standstill.  Sure, it also slowed the
Xenix system, but the slowdown was much less with SCO XENIX 2.3.
Unfortunately, I do not have numbers for you, all I have is the
impressions I get while trying to get work done.

Another interesting thing I have seen is with XENIX, even when my disk
was extremely busy the disk activity light would flash.  Now with UNIX,
it stays on for seconds to minutes at a time.  BTW:  I jacked the number
of disk buffers up to 2048 from 600 and it helped some, but not much.
I have 8MB of memory in the system, so it is still not swapping.

--

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (11/20/89)

>>>  If this is a common problem Xenix may be with us. I was planning to
>>>upgrade in January, but any less performance would be unacceptable. Do
>>>other people find that news bogs the machine?
>>
>>Not any more.  Get C News + the various speedups and NICE changes I've done
>>and you don't even notice when news is running.
>
>Sorry, you missed the point here.  I wrote the article about there
>being a problem on SCO UNIX when news was running.  The point was not
>that news was a problem undex UNIX, the point was that anything that
>is extremely disk intensive causes a problem.  You only solve a small
>part of the problem by making news more efficient.  What happens when

Oh, so disk i/o is your problem.  Then a better version of news will
help to some extent since it copies things around less.  If you can't
improve your system (with, for example, a new disk or controller) then
the best thing I've found is to put in some sleep(1) calls.  You can
spread i/o to the point where it's a just a blip here and there vs a
steady work stopping burst.

--
Jon Zeeff    		<zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us>
Branch Technology 	<zeeff@b-tech.mi.org>

It's 1989.  Does your software support the ISO 8859 character sets?