[comp.unix.i386] Error messages from Bell Tech ACE I/O card on AT&T 6386E

mrb1@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (maurice.r.baker) (11/21/89)

Hello ----

I was wondering if anyone else out there is running a Bell Tech ACE
I/O board under UNIX System V/386 release 3.2.1 on a 6386(E) ?

Everything was working fine, or so it seemed, until the system started
spitting out the following message on the console:

ACE: Card 0:  req before init, cmd ??

where ?? was a variety of hex numbers  (10,11, 86, etc. come to mind)

The application program using the card seemed to failing at a blocked open
(waiting for DCD) on the port....with a return code of -1 and an errno of
128.

The ace/adload process appeared to be running just fine, as least as far as
I could tell from a "ps -ef".  Rebooting the system, and restarting the
app. cleared the problem.  I have seen this on two of our systems running
identical software.

Can anyone shed some light on what this error message means, and/or
what to do about it?  I'm gonna give Bell Tech support a call, but after
several previous encounters I'm not too hopeful.

Thanks
M. Baker
email to hoqub!mrb

201-949-7935

will also watch for reply postings :-)

In article <5953@cbnewsh.ATT.COM>, mrb1@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (maurice.r.baker) writes:
> ACE: Card 0:  req before init, cmd ??
>
> The ace/adload process appeared to be running just fine, as least as far as
> I could tell from a "ps -ef".  Rebooting the system, and restarting the
> app. cleared the problem.  I have seen this on two of our systems running
> identical software.

I don't have an ACE card, but I do have an ICC card.  Every once in a while
something similar happens (sometimes the ports just lock up).  I use the
idebug command (in the same directory as the downloader) to reset the card
and it works fine.  Maybe there is an ace/adebug that has the same capabilities.

There was no documentation for the program, but a ? (or maybe "help") got
a list of the commands available.

Good luck.