[net.auto] tire chains

wct@mordor.UUCP (12/14/83)

Subject: tire chains
Newsgroups: net.auto

After many years of driving through the snows of Colorado and
New Mexico, I recommend cable chains for many reasons.
First, they are much easier to put on than conventional chains,
none of the moving the car, jacking up the wheels . . .
Second, they require much less fender clearance--this is important
on some cars, particularly if your tires aren't the same size as
the originals (and for old cars like my 65 VW bus--all new tires are
wider than the originals).
Third, they are much lighter than conventional chains, you can tuck
them away in your trunk year round--and have them when you need them.

Quality cable chains give a smoother ride and seem to offer better
traction with my experience.
Note the word quality--the original chains made of aircraft cable
were sold as "Canada Chains" by Champion.  When compared to other
models such as a pair I ordered through a Firestone dealer several
features may be noted which add to their performance and durability.
The Champion chains have hardened steel wires wrapped helically around
the cross pieces. Over these wires are hard steel "beads" which rotate
but provide the actual traction.  The Firestone model had nylon beads
over a plastic coated cable (and a recommendation to use them only for
packed snow!).  I've never broken any portion of my
original Canada Chains--new cars are the only reason I've had to
purchase 3 later sets.  After 10 years and punishment such as the
one or two hour drive over La Veta Pass in southern Colo. (with
mixed snow and cleared pavement at 40 mph, no less) I still haven't
had to install any of the repair links supplied with the chains.

Finally, from the Jan. issue of skiing, the current manufacturer
(distributor?) for cable chains by Champion appears to be:
   	The Security Chain Co.
	621 S.E. Union Ave.
	Portland, OR 97214       1-800-547-4255

They usually have local distributors in areas where people use chains.

As usual, the usual disclaimers apply, this represents my personal opinion
and my only connection with any tire chains is as enduser.
:w
--
	William C. Thompson III (S-1 Project, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
	MILNET: wct@s1-c or s1-a   UUCP: ...!decvax!decwrl!mordor!wct

wally@cornell.UUCP (Wally Dietrich) (12/17/83)

How much do these "Canada Chains" cost, typically?