[comp.unix.i386] SYS V R4 - When will it be released for Generic 386 boxes?

lisbon@vpnet.UUCP (Gerry Swetsky) (11/05/89)

> EE TIMES, 30 Oct 1989, page 1 indicates that the generic port
> of UNIX System V.4/386 and /486 will be available soon...
> AT&T/Intel reportedly plan to demo it at UNIX EXPO.

    If it was there, I didn't see it.

> BTW,
>   System V Release 4 is upwards compatible with V.3.2 and also adds
>   the following (again according to EE Times):

    You left one out - Standard shell is to be ksh!  HOORAY!

    I wouldn't look for this product anytime soon.  Interactive plans a
    new release though - Release 2.2.  This WON'T be ATT V.4, but an
    interim release.  I couldn't get anyone to tell me the reason for
    the release or what all it will contain.  Interactive's V.4 package
    will be labelled 486/ix unless they change their minds.  NOTE - the
    486 is to refer to release V.4 and not the 486 chip!

    I look for them to change their minds regarding this confusing
    labelling!

| Help stamp out stupid .signature files!		    Gerry Swetsky   |
|                                                                           |
| Home (312)833-8122  Vpnet (312)833-8126               lisbon@vpnet.uucp   |

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (11/11/89)

In article <[2553c481:416.2]comp.unix.i386;1@vpnet.UUCP> lisbon@vpnet.UUCP (Gerry Swetsky) writes:

>> EE TIMES, 30 Oct 1989, page 1 indicates that the generic port
>> of UNIX System V.4/386 and /486 will be available soon...
>> AT&T/Intel reportedly plan to demo it at UNIX EXPO.
>
>    If it was there, I didn't see it.

Were you there? When the lights were on? :-)

It was being shown at the booths of

- AT&T
- Interactive
- Intel
- Unix International

Also, though SCO and ESIX were not displaying it, staff at both
companies were talking about it.

At the UI booth, at least six different companies were showing off SysVr4,
including Olivetti on a 486 system (with a co-processor socket for an i860!)

>    I wouldn't look for this product anytime soon.

Intel (which after buying Bell Technologies plans to get into selling
Unix itself) has announced that V.4 shipments will start in 2nd quarter
1990. Interactive and AT&T said theirs wouldn't be far behind. ESIX said
3rd quarter 1990, tentative. SCO's still trying to get out 3.2 :-)

>    Interactive plans a
>    new release though - Release 2.2.  This WON'T be ATT V.4, but an
>    interim release.  I couldn't get anyone to tell me the reason for
>    the release or what all it will contain.

Bug fixes? ;-)

>    Interactive's V.4 package
>    will be labelled 486/ix unless they change their minds.  NOTE - the
>    486 is to refer to release V.4 and not the 486 chip!

I was at the Intel announcements. They said that there are no plans for
any software especially for the 486. Everything for V.4 will be done in
386 code and will treat the 486 as just a fast 386.

>    I look for them to change their minds regarding this confusing
>    labelling!

Don't count on it. If SCO could call its Xenix product System V,
anything is fair game...

--
  Evan Leibovitch, Telly Computing, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
                 evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan

williams@cs.umass.edu (11/11/89)

In article <1989Nov10.180048.24410@telly.on.ca>, evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes...
>I was at the Intel announcements. They said that there are no plans for
>any software especially for the 486. Everything for V.4 will be done in
>386 code and will treat the 486 as just a fast 386.

Huh?  I thought the 486 WAS just a fast 386 with builtin
cache and fpu!  No new instructions, modes, etc.

stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) (11/11/89)

Anyone know who will ship the first binary release of SVR4
for any type of hardware ?  AT&T for the 3B2 ?  AT&T for their
WGS 386 ?  I can understand that all the third party suppliers
have to integrate it with their drivers, etc., but if someone
(UI ?) is making such a hoopla about releasing the source code
(for a nontrivial $100K) I sure hope it has been thoroughly
tested and QC'ed on *something*.

If I, as an end-user, really can't get my hands on it for
6-12 months, then all the fanfare about its release last
week is really a nonevent.

	Richard Stevens
	Health Systems International, New Haven, CT
	   stevens@hsi.com
           ... { uunet | yale } ! hsi ! stevens

marc@dumbcat.UUCP (Marco S Hyman) (11/12/89)

In article <[2553c481:416.2]comp.unix.i386;1@vpnet.UUCP> lisbon@vpnet.UUCP (Gerry Swetsky) writes:
        Interactive plans a
        new release though - Release 2.2.  This WON'T be ATT V.4, but an
        interim release.  I couldn't get anyone to tell me the reason for
        the release or what all it will contain.

I'd guess that that would be the POSIX compliant version.  The POSIX
compliant version is supposed to include job control, multiple groups, and
enhanced signals.  This was supposed to be available 31august.  Maybe it was
and I didn't notice.  I'd sure like job control tho...

--marc
--
// Marco S. Hyman		{ames,pyramid,sun}!pacbell!dumbcat!marc

madd@world.std.com (jim frost) (11/15/89)

williams@cs.umass.edu writes:

>In article <1989Nov10.180048.24410@telly.on.ca>, evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes...
>>Everything for V.4 will be done in
>>386 code and will treat the 486 as just a fast 386.
>>
>Huh?  I thought the 486 WAS just a fast 386 with builtin
>cache and fpu!  No new instructions, modes, etc.

At a minimum, the fpu supports a bunch of functions which the 80387
did not.

jim frost
software tool & die
madd@std.com

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (11/15/89)

In article <824@hsi86.hsi.UUCP>, stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) writes:
> Anyone know who will ship the first binary release of SVR4
> for any type of hardware ?  AT&T for the 3B2 ?  AT&T for their
> WGS 386 ?  I can understand that all the third party suppliers
> have to integrate it with their drivers, etc.,...
>...If I, as an end-user, really can't get my hands on it for
> 6-12 months, then all the fanfare about its release last
> week is really a nonevent.

A demo at a trade show is usually NOT the event marking the introduction of
the product for real end-user sales.  Now, I flame as much as anyone about
vaporware and non-announcements (tho I usually do it over in comp.arch:-),
but I contend that as long as the status of a demo is reasonably clear, it
serves a useful purpose.

If you see a V.4 system up and running on real hardware, you have some
reason to think that when vendors say "we'll have it available in nQ90" you
might believe them.  There IS a lot of work to be done to make a system
which runs into a system which can be shipped as a product.  However,
knowing that the system really exists in some halfway-functional form
still means something.

Perhaps it's easier to see this with hardware.  Consider, for example, that
MIPS showed a very fast ECL machine at UNIX Expo.  It's not shipping yet;
you can't even order one yet.  BUT they're showing you that all the talk
you've heard about ECL RISCs is real; they've got the caches figured out;
they've got the OS running, etc.  The "inventing" (the part you can't
schedule:-) is done; the technology exists.  There may still be a lot of
work to be done to make the product, but it can be done.

Besides, there's a certain parity here.  If people show things at the point
they reach "demo quality", and you see vendor (or consortium:-) X showing
something, but Y not showing anything comparable, you tend to suspect that
X is ahead of Y.  If X and Y are both promising something for mid-'90, and
X has a demo but Y doesn't, you might have epsilon more faith that X will
deliver (IF it's a believable demo).
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com    uucp: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd     (303)449-2870
   ...Keep your day job 'til your night job pays.

In article <824@hsi86.hsi.UUCP>, stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) writes:
|  Anyone know who will ship the first binary release of SVR4
|  for any type of hardware ?  AT&T for the 3B2 ?

  My understandaing is that you can get it for the 3B2, but I haven't
ordered one. You may be able to get it for Sun, as well. INteractive was
demoing 486/ix (V.4 they said) at UNIX Expo, but they said 1Q90 for the
ship date. Looked pretty good to me, but they didn't let me sit down and
TRY to break it.

|  If I, as an end-user, really can't get my hands on it for
|  6-12 months, then all the fanfare about its release last
|  week is really a nonevent.

  I expect to see beta and "early release" versions by the end of the
year. Bear in mind there's no huge demand in the 386 market. People will
let someone else buy the first one, wait for reviews, etc.
that the world is flat!" - anon

madd@world.std.com (jim frost) (11/16/89)

davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
>In article <824@hsi86.hsi.UUCP>, stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) writes:
>|  Anyone know who will ship the first binary release of SVR4
>|  for any type of hardware ?

>Bear in mind there's no huge demand in the 386 market.

That depends on who you ask.  I personally would kill for job-control
and the BSD filesystem on a 386.  Considering the number of times I've
seen similar requests on comp.unix.questions et al, I'd say there's a
lot of demand.

Mach would be better, though :-).

jim frost
software tool & die     "The World" Public Access Unix for the '90s
madd@std.com            +1 617-739-WRLD  24hrs {3,12,24}00bps

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (11/16/89)

In article <1989Nov15.223222.11299@world.std.com> madd@world.std.com (jim frost) writes:
>I personally would kill for job-control and the BSD filesystem on a 386.

You can get it now for IBM PS/2 386 machines by buying AIX PS/2.  Strictly
speaking, the filesystem is not BSD, but it has what you need: long
filenames and symbolic links.  Job control is there too.

>Mach would be better, though :-).

Mach's already been ported to the 386 by the folks at CMU.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

plocher@sally.Sun.COM (John Plocher) (11/16/89)

+-- In <824@hsi86.hsi.UUCP> stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) writes
| Anyone know who will ship the first binary release of SVR4
| for any type of hardware ?
+----

As I have stated here before, my job at Sun is with a team that is
responsible for porting Sun's X11/NeWS window server to AT&T System
Vr4.0 on an AT&T WGS6386.  Our development environments include
16 Mhz AT&T boxes, 16Mhz Intel boxes, a 25Mhz Compaq, and my clone
25Mhz Abacus motherboard based system.  We get software releases
at the same time that AT&T Internal Development gets them, in a
manner similar to a "monthly snapshot" of the master development
tree.  The fact that we are "internal development" keeps me from
saying too much more about things. :-(

We are still watching all the pieces come together:  Job
control is wonderful, so are symbolic links.  The compiler is
ANSI :-) and has good transition settings for non-ANSI code.
However, there are still signs that things aren't quite done.
Installation scripts are fragile, 3rd party device support is
minimal, ....

All that aside, we all know that AT&T now resells Intel 386 boxes,
right?  We also know that there isn't too much about the Intel boxes
that is different from the average run-of-the-mill clone box, right?
Therefore it should be safe to say that the AT&T version of Vr4.0
should run on any 386 or 486 clone. It also is a good rule of thumb
that it takes several months to do a final Beta/QA/QC/production
cycle.

Intel has said it will have a release by Q2-90; that sounds to me
like the earliest it could be.  Just work backwards:
	May		Release (Q2-90)
	April		1 Month Production
	Jan-March	3 Months Beta/QA/QC/driver development
	December	Final source shipment to Intel (maybe)

Don't forget that your favorite 3rd party device driver developer
won't get their own copy of Vr4 till May, so you may have to wait
even longer to take advantage of all your nifty hardware ....

	-John Plocher

hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (11/16/89)

>That depends on who you ask.  I personally would kill for job-control
>and the BSD filesystem on a 386.

It should not be necessary to kill.  I have job control on SVr2 on my
286 at home.  Ksh has code in it that does a pretty good emulation of
Berkeley job control using the System V sxt device.  The necessary
kernel support should be present on any System V since release 2.
However you may have to rebuild your kernel to include support for the
sxt device.  (At least with Microport, it's optional, so you have to
get the linkkit and build a kernel.)  If shl will run on your system,
this will.  The problem is getting you the appropriate ksh.
Unfortunately, Korn (author of ksh) considers System V sufficiently
brain damaged that he was unwilling to take back the fixes that make
job control work on it.  (This seems a bad attitude for an ATT
employee.)  So as far as I know, I've got the only copy of ksh where
job control actually works.  If your site has a ksh source license, I
can just send you diffs.  If you have or can get a binary license, I
can probably give you my binary.  (I'd have to check the license to
make sure -- most ATT licenses allow people to give code to other
sites with licenses having similar scope.)  Microport SV/AT includes
ksh binaries.  I think their 386 product does as well.  So your 386
might already have it.  If you can show that your system is licensed
for ksh, I think it would be legal for me to give you a copy of the
version with job control.  As far as I know, SV/AT executables work on
all of the 386 SV's except AIX (and AIX has real job control).

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (11/17/89)

How can I get it for the 3B?  My salesbeing doesn't seem to know how.
--
Pete Holsberg                UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College               CompuServe: 70240,334

  New information: Intel claims that they will be shipping SVR4 in
February for their 386. Since that's the AT&T machine, and quite
compatible with most other 386s I have hopes that we will be able to get
it at that time.
that the world is flat!" - anon