[comp.unix.i386] Which 386 Unix offers Vga 256 color X-windows?

krist@stsci.EDU (John Krist) (11/17/89)

  Greetings :

    I'm contemplating putting Unix on my 386 (Arche Rival).  Reading
  the recent SCO Unix vs 386/ix review in Unix World (or was that
  Unix review?), they author indicated that neither vendor offers an
  X-windows which supports 256 colors in the high res VGA and Super-
  VGA modes.

    I would need some image display capabilities in whichever version
  I get, so 256 colors is essential.  Does anyone know if either of
  these vendors now or is soon going to support these modes (or are they
  going to wait for the Super VGA standard to be defined?) ?  I intend
  to probably use an ATI VGA Wonder card.

  Thanks,

  John Krist
  krist@stsci.edu
  Space Telescope Science Institute
  Baltimore, MD

madd@world.std.com (jim frost) (11/18/89)

krist@stsci.EDU (John Krist) writes:
>    I'm contemplating putting Unix on my 386 (Arche Rival).  Reading
>  the recent SCO Unix vs 386/ix review in Unix World (or was that
>  Unix review?), they author indicated that neither vendor offers an
>  X-windows which supports 256 colors in the high res VGA and Super-
>  VGA modes.

>    I would need some image display capabilities in whichever version
>  I get, so 256 colors is essential.  Does anyone know if either of
>  these vendors now or is soon going to support these modes (or are they
>  going to wait for the Super VGA standard to be defined?) ?  I intend
>  to probably use an ATI VGA Wonder card.

If I were to take a wild stab on which vendor would be first to
provide a usable 8-bit implementation, it'd be ISC.  They seem to be
very dedicated to producing a good X server.

For the time being, I have some code to do image color depth reduction
which seems to work very well.  It was developed for displaying 8-bit
images on the 4-bit display of the IBM RT (it's a general algorithm)
and seems to work fairly well if you really don't need the full color
resolution.  You can get the software package, called xloadimage, from
expo.lcs.mit.edu via anonymous ftp (/contrib/xloadimage.tar.Z), or
from a recent posting in comp.sources.x.  It currently handles X
bitmap (both X10 & X11), Sun Rasterfile images, Faces Project images,
and PBM images.  GIF and XPM formats will be out soon.  Besides depth
reduction, it does a number of other image manipulations (eg zoom,
brighten, dither).  Might be useful to someone, and it certainly works
for me.

Happy hacking,

jim frost
sofware tool & die
madd@std.com

jrh@mustang.dell.com (jrh) (11/20/89)

Dell has shown its new 1024x768x256 color Xwindows/Motif Server at UNIX EXPO
and last week at Comdex, this driver is for the GPX Renaissance video card
and a large monitor, like a 19" Mitsubishi Diamond Scan... very impressive, and those that saw it were impressed.  I do not think anyone else has shown
a 1024x768 color server yet.

James R. Howard
!s: cs.utexas.edu!dell!mustang!jrh

rpeglar@csinc.UUCP (Rob Peglar x615) (11/21/89)

In article <4338@dell.dell.com>, jrh@mustang.dell.com (jrh) writes:
> Dell has shown its new 1024x768x256 color Xwindows/Motif Server at UNIX EXPO
> and last week at Comdex, this driver is for the GPX Renaissance video card
> and a large monitor, like a 19" Mitsubishi Diamond Scan... very impressive, and those that saw it were impressed.  I do not think anyone else has shown
> a 1024x768 color server yet.

How about a 1280x1024 server?

Control Systems, Inc. (ARTIST Graphics) has had an X server, running under
ISC 1.0.6, for quite a while now.  Now, we have a ISC 2.0.2 server as well.
This server runs an ARTIST TI12 (16 or 256 color) 1280x1024, with optional
VGA module (plug-on, no extra slot).  Many different monitors are supported,
including the one mentioned above (basically any multi-sync up to 108 MHZ
horiz. scan rate).

ARTIST Graphics showed this at X-Hibition '89 in San Jose in June 1989.
We also have (gasp) a DOS version (but this is comp.unix.i386, so I won't
mention it)

Rob
--
Rob Peglar	Control Systems, Inc.	2675 Patton Rd., St. Paul MN 55113
...uunet!csinc!rpeglar		612-631-7800

The posting above does not necessarily represent the policies of my employer.

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (11/25/89)

In article <152@csinc.UUCP> rpeglar@csinc.UUCP (Rob Peglar x615) writes:
>In article <4338@dell.dell.com>, jrh@mustang.dell.com (jrh) writes:
>>Dell has shown its new 1024x768x256 color Xwindows/Motif Server at UNIX EXPO
>How about a 1280x1024 server?

Parallax Graphics has a 386/ix X11 driver for its Viper board.  It is a
1280 x 1024 x 8 bit board.  The interesting feature with this board is
that you can plug NTSC video into it and watch TV in a window while
you're running X.  I saw it running on a Compaq 386/25 at I/ITSC last
week -- pretty amazing.  Price is about $8,000 with software.
--
John Temples -- UUCP: uunet!jwt!john

richard@pegasus.uucp (Richard Foulk) (11/26/89)

In article <552@jwt.UUCP> john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:
>In article <152@csinc.UUCP> rpeglar@csinc.UUCP (Rob Peglar x615) writes:
>>In article <4338@dell.dell.com>, jrh@mustang.dell.com (jrh) writes:
>>>Dell has shown its new 1024x768x256 color Xwindows/Motif Server at UNIX EXPO
>>How about a 1280x1024 server?
>
>Parallax Graphics has a 386/ix X11 driver for its Viper board.  It is a
>1280 x 1024 x 8 bit board.  The interesting feature with this board is
>that you can plug NTSC video into it and watch TV in a window while
>you're running X.  I saw it running on a Compaq 386/25 at I/ITSC last
>week -- pretty amazing.  Price is about $8,000 with software.

Pretty amazing price!  Hopefully that includes the Compaq.

tyager@maxx.UUCP (Tom Yager) (11/26/89)

In article <938@nemesis.stsci.edu>, krist@stsci.EDU (John Krist) writes:

>   Greetings :
>
>     I'm contemplating putting Unix on my 386 (Arche Rival).  Reading
>   the recent SCO Unix vs 386/ix review in Unix World (or was that
>   Unix review?), they author indicated that neither vendor offers an
>   X-windows which supports 256 colors in the high res VGA and Super-
>   VGA modes.

I hope you're talking about the UNIX Review article. If so, I was the author.

If anybody does it at all, I'd expect ISC to be first. They've got some real
heavyweights in-house doing their VGA support, and between my article and
subsequent consumer response, some pressure has been brought to bear on ISC
to do a 256-color VGA server. This may take some time, and (as a previous
posting mentions), this may all be moot once prices start to come down on
8514/A-compatible intelligent cards.

My advice: Don't hold your breath, and, once you get it, don't expect too
much. It will be DOG slow.
(ty)

--
+--Tom Yager, Technical Editor, BYTE magazine------------------------------+