[comp.unix.i386] Which 386 UNIXes have JC?

eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) (11/25/89)

platt@ndla.UUCP (Daniel E. Platt) writes:

>Also, some Unixen running on '386's
>already in distribution do support JC (for example AIX-PS/2).

Which 386 UNIXes *do* have job control?  If vendor XYZ doesn't have
it, I ain't gonna buy it.  So there.

Any official words for ISC, SCO, IBM, ESIX are welcome :-).  But
please, no sales pitches.
--
Doug Eastick				UUCP: uunet!utai!me!eastick
Mechanical Engineering			eastick@me.utoronto.ca

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (11/26/89)

eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) writes:

>Which 386 UNIXes *do* have job control?  If vendor XYZ doesn't have
>it, I ain't gonna buy it.  So there.

The output from stty in SCO Unix shows its kernel has job control hooks.
I was told by someone from SCO development that in  SCO Unix 3.2.2
(not out yet) it will actually work !

Caveat: you will have to have ksh sources or use BASH, because
SCO does not supply a shell with job control.

But the again, you might as well wait for ISC 386/ix 2.2, which also
will have job control and is rumoured to be released in January.

--
Pim Zandbergen                                   domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                                  uucp   : ..!uunet!ctisbv!pim

mjs@cbnews.ATT.COM (martin.j.shannon) (11/27/89)

In article <1640@ctisbv.cti-software.nl> pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:
>eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) writes:
>
>Caveat: you will have to have ksh sources or use BASH, because
>SCO does not supply a shell with job control.
>--
>Pim Zandbergen                                   domain : pim@cti-software.nl

Ok, how do we get BASH?  I've followed this newsgroup less than religiously,
but I don't recall seeing any instructions for getting it, either ftp or
anonymous uucp.  Can someone please fill in the details?
--
Marty Shannon; AT&T Bell Labs; Liberty Corner, NJ
(Affiliation given for identification only.)

bash is available from prep.ai.mit.edu in pub/gnu.

==larry

LARRY SHIELDS                        USENET: ...!frith!lunapark!larry
P.O. Box 6159                        BIX:  lshields
E. Lansing, MI 48826                 Compuserve: 70277,3677
************lunapark bbs 2400/1200 8-1-N 24hrs (517) 487-3356************