[comp.unix.i386] Accounting packages and unix,

larry@UUCP (Larry Williamson) (10/10/89)

Our financial department is growing and we would like to integrate
their computer system with the company wide unix network. Currently
they are running one small ms-dos based system.

Pure unix accounting packages seem too expensive. We don't want to pay
$20k to keep track of our meager earnings!

Pure ms-dos packages are fine as long as we can run them on vp/ix and
as long as the data is sharable by the 2 or 3 users.

What can we expect from a dos accounting package running on vp/ix?
Will it be usable?

Can you offer any insight?

-larry

ps. I'd like to talk with anyone with any experience in this area.
Please call or send me your phone number and I will call you. Thanks.

--
Larry Williamson    --   Focus Automation Systems Inc.  --
watmath!focsys!larry           (519) 746-4918

jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. De Armond) (10/11/89)

In article <LARRY.89Oct10103753@focsys.UUCP> larry@UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:
>Our financial department is growing and we would like to integrate
>their computer system with the company wide unix network. Currently
>they are running one small ms-dos based system.
>Pure unix accounting packages seem too expensive. We don't want to pay
>$20k to keep track of our meager earnings!
>Pure ms-dos packages are fine as long as we can run them on vp/ix and
>as long as the data is sharable by the 2 or 3 users.

I would not build a production system on vp/ix.  Too much of a resource hog.
Why don't you look at one of the dBase - based packages like SBT and run
it under the unix version of FoxBase?  That should be a good combination.

I used to use the SBT accounting software as my VAR package back in
the good old CP/M days.  it ran well under the CP/M version of
dBase II.  That was my last experience so buyer beware!!!

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | Manual? ... What manual ?!?
Radiation Systems, Inc.     Atlanta, GA    | This is Unix, My son, You

louis@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Louis Schmittroth) (10/12/89)

In article <299@rsiatl.UUCP>, jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. De Armond) writes:
> In article <LARRY.89Oct10103753@focsys.UUCP> larry@UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:
> >Our financial department is growing and we would like to integrate
> >their computer system with the company wide unix network. Currently
> >they are running one small ms-dos based system.
> >Pure unix accounting packages seem too expensive. We don't want to pay

MC Software of Davis Calif has a package that also dates back to CP/M days
and has made the transistion to MS/DOS, and now Xenix (and some Unix's).
Not too expensive and very good.  I installed it originally on MP/M in 83
at the local town office and when I ugraded to Xenix last year all went very
well.  Recommended.

Louis

kmcvay@oneb.UUCP (Ken McVay) (11/21/89)

In article <LARRY.89Oct10103753@focsys.UUCP>, larry@UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:

> Our financial department is growing and we would like to integrate
> their computer system with the company wide unix network. Currently
> they are running one small ms-dos based system.

Insights? No. As another newcomer to unix, we have begun exploring as you
obviously have, looking for accounting systems to offer our clients....we
have located one that shows promise, and will soon be picking up some
of the available modules to check them out. (I don't work for these folks,
haven't looked at their products, and don't endorse them <gee, that oughta
cover it :-)>

The publisher, NCS Technologies (39 Kent Street North #5, Simcoe, Ontario,
N3Y 3S1) offers the following "Kwic Accounting" modules in both single
and multiuser versions:

G/L A/R A/P POS/IC S/O P/O B/M P/R (Cdn) and Job Costing. Single user
versions for dos 3+ & 4+, multiuser versions for dos networks (Novell, MS
Net) Unix System V and SCO Xenix 286/386.

These packages range in price from $Cdn350 per module (single user, level 2
support) to about $Cdn650 (multiuser, level 2) - price estimate is for the
General Ledger. POS and a few others higher, rest as G/L.

We have asked for demos, and are interested primarily because of the
ability to integrate dos and xenix systems without scrapping the dos
accounting systems or data. I won't quote from their advertising, since
we haven't tried it and I don't want to rely on a vendor's descriptions
for my descisions....at any rate, demos are available to dealers who
request them, if I read their forms correctly, and they may be able to
point you to a nearby dealer who can provide some hands-on for you.

I'd appreciate seeing a digest of any information you can gather on
xenix accounting systems - we're going to check as many out as we can before
hitching our wagon....
--
| 1B Systems Management Ltd. Vancouver Island, B.C. (Voice) 604-758-7414 |
| Island Interlace: RCSA/IMEx 89:681/1, EggNet 99:9304/41 (604) 758-2928 |

russ@bbx.UUCP (Russ Kepler) (11/22/89)

In article <542@oneb.UUCP> kmcvay@oneb.UUCP (Ken McVay) writes:
>In article <LARRY.89Oct10103753@focsys.UUCP>, larry@UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:
>>
>> Our financial department is growing and we would like to integrate
>> their computer system with the company wide unix network. Currently
>> they are running one small ms-dos based system.
>
>....[deleted]....
>
>I'd appreciate seeing a digest of any information you can gather on
>xenix accounting systems - we're going to check as many out as we can before
>hitching our wagon....

Not to sound like a advert or anything but you might look up either
software by either State of the Art or by Open Systems.  Either one
has wsome fairly powerfull software that runs quite nicely in either
MS-DOS or a wide variety of UNIX platforms - including Xenix.  The
data files and code are completely portable between operating systems
and processor types and even function in a mixed processor networked
system.

The reason I know this is that my company writes the language that
those folks write their apps in.  If you have specific needs for
a particular type of accounting system feel free to call and we might
be able to point out someone in your area that can fill the need.

Regards

--
Russ Kepler -  Basis International
SNAILMAIL:  5901 Jefferson NE, Albuquerque, NM 87109

terry@tah386.manhattan.ks.us (Terry Hull) (11/28/89)

In article <946@bbx.UUCP> russ@bbx.UUCP (Russ Kepler) writes:
>>In article <LARRY.89Oct10103753@focsys.UUCP>, larry@UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:
>>>
>>> Our financial department is growing and we would like to integrate
>>> their computer system with the company wide unix network. Currently
>>> they are running one small ms-dos based system.
>>
>Not to sound like a advert or anything but you might look up either
>software by either State of the Art or by Open Systems.  Either one
>has wsome fairly powerfull software that runs quite nicely in either
>MS-DOS or a wide variety of UNIX platforms - including Xenix.

Yes, the Open Systems stuff does run on XENIX, but at least as of
revision 3.x, I will NEVER recommend the stuff again.  If you press
the wrong keys at the wrong time, the application will bomb you back
to the basic interpreter.  To me, that is just plain unacceptable for
a production application.  Beta versions, sure, but finished products,
never.  You should be able to press any key at any time and *NEVER* have
the appliction bomb out to the interpreter.

Actually after the operators are trained, they have very little trouble
with this, but during the training, it is a royal pain.

The other thing I dislike about the Open Systems stuff is you have
to preallocate space for the files.  You can expand them when they
get full, but you do have to preallocate the data space.  This does
not make our client very happy.

Disclaimer: I only have 1 client running the software and they are
currently using version 3.12.  I have version 4 sitting on my shelf,
but I have not had time to install it for them yet.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University