[comp.unix.i386] Console Driver questions

dlr@daver.UU.NET (Dave Rand) (11/22/89)

I have been having some problems getting the Pcomm program running under
Interactive Unix. It seems that the at386 console driver doesn't work
quite right. To check this, I connected a VT100 directly to the system,
logged in, and ran pcomm - this worked correctly.

The symptom of this problem is that the boxes surrounding some of
the messages displayed during the use of pcomm are corrupt. Usually
the vertical bars displayed on the rightmost side of the box show
up several characters to the right of their correct position.

Doing a dump of the data being written to the screen shows that the
problem seems to occur when hard tabs (0x9) are used following
a cursor positioning sequence. It looks like the console driver is
not resetting the "spaces left" variable when a cursor positioning command
is used.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a workaround? Is there a fix?

--
Dave Rand
{pyramid|hoptoad|sun|vsi1}!daver!dlr	Internet: dlr@daver.uu.net

rick@pcrat.uucp (Rick Richardson) (11/23/89)

In article <1989Nov22.003520.14232@daver.UU.NET> dlr@daver.UU.NET (Dave Rand) writes:

>The symptom of this problem is that the boxes surrounding some of
>the messages displayed during the use of pcomm are corrupt. Usually

>Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a workaround? Is there a fix?

The workaround is to do a "stty -tabs" in /etc/profile for the console
vt's only.  The bug, near as I can tell, is that there is no tabstop
set in column 73.  You can see this if you type a bunch of tabs at
the command prompt.  The last one will skip from column 65 to the next line
if "stty tabs" is turned on.

-Rick
--
Rick Richardson |       Looking for FAX software for UNIX/386 ??????     mention
PC Research,Inc.|                  WE'RE SHIPPING			 your

rick@anasaz.UUCP (Rick Coupland) (11/25/89)

In article <1989Nov22.003520.14232@daver.UU.NET> dlr@daver.UU.NET (Dave Rand) writes:
>I have been having some problems getting the Pcomm program running under
>Interactive Unix. It seems that the at386 console driver doesn't work
>quite right. To check this, I connected a VT100 directly to the system,
>logged in, and ran pcomm - this worked correctly.
>
>The symptom of this problem is that the boxes surrounding some of
>the messages displayed during the use of pcomm are corrupt. Usually
>the vertical bars displayed on the rightmost side of the box show
>up several characters to the right of their correct position.

I am also running Interactive on a 386 and use the pcomm program.
I ran into the same problem and also noticed that it had to do with tab
characters not being handled correctly.  My solution was to do a
"stty -tabs" befor running pcomm.  I now have this in my .login file
and never see the problem anymore.

--
Rick Coupland	...!{noao!asuvax | mcdphx}!anasaz!rick
(602) 870-3330

lee@sq.sq.com (Liam R. E. Quin) (12/01/89)

In article <942@anasaz.UUCP> rick@anasaz.UUCP (Rick Coupland) writes:
>In article <1989Nov22.003520.14232@daver.UU.NET> dlr@daver.UU.NET (Dave Rand) writes:
>>[...]
>>The symptom of this problem is that the boxes surrounding some of
>>the messages displayed during the use of pcomm are corrupt.
>
>I ran into the same problem and also noticed that it had to do with tab
>characters not being handled correctly.

Another thing to notice is that the AT386 terminfo (and termcap) entry has
the xt flag set, when, as far as I can tell, it should not.

Removing this may improve things.  I'm told that it also helps Gnu emacs.

Lee
--
Liam R. Quin, Unixsys (UK) Ltd [note: not an employee of "sq" - a visitor!]
lee@sq.com (Whilst visiting Canada from England, until Christmas)