[comp.unix.i386] 1.44 drives on i386

randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) (11/30/89)

	I just switched from AT&T UNIX 3.2.1 on Chinet to i386
	2.0.2.  Now, my 3.5 inch drives don't work at 1.44 megs
	(f03ht).  They work ok at 720k.  I can format them
	at 1.44 megs under i386, but they can't be read.  I tried
	copying the pack.d/fd/Driver.o from the AT&T UNIX to
	see if that would fix it, but no luck.  The strange thing
	is that Interactive ships 2.0.2 on 1.44 meg disks.  This
	happens on all 386 machines at work, with various shipments
	of 2.0.2.
	Any ideas??

	-randy

--
Randy Suess
randy@chinet.chi.il.us

In article <1989Nov29.174308.2169@chinet.chi.il.us> randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) writes:
]
]	I just switched from AT&T UNIX 3.2.1 on Chinet to i386
]	2.0.2.  Now, my 3.5 inch drives don't work at 1.44 megs
]	(f03ht).
]	I tried
]	copying the pack.d/fd/Driver.o from the AT&T UNIX to
]	see if that would fix it, but no luck.

	Oops.  I lied.  Seems I got the wrong driver installed.  Just
	did it again, and the Driver.o out of AT&T UNIX fixes the
	problem.  pack.d/fd/Driver.o in AT&T UNIX is almost twice
	as big as the one in i386.
-randy

--
Randy Suess
randy@chinet.chi.il.us

izen@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Steven H. Izen) (11/30/89)

In article <1989Nov29.174308.2169@chinet.chi.il.us> randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) writes:

>	I just switched from AT&T UNIX 3.2.1 on Chinet to i386
>	2.0.2.  Now, my 3.5 inch drives don't work at 1.44 megs
>	(f03ht).  They work ok at 720k.  I can format them
>	at 1.44 megs under i386, but they can't be read.  I tried

>	Any ideas??

Yeah, I tried using f13ht when I installed my second floppy drive, and had no
luck.  Then I discovered pg 104 of the 386/ix opserating sytem guide:

f1q18dt - minor number 81 1.44 MB,entire 3.5 disk
f1q18d  - minor number 85 1.44 MB,omit boot track.

subtract one from the above minor numbers to use as drive 0.

Of course, if the special device files don't exist you'll have to
use mknod to create them in both /dev/rdsk and /dev/dsk as char and block
devices respectively.

Now here's a question for the netlanders:

I'm thinking of swapping my two drives, to make the 1.44 meg (in dos language)
a:, and my 1.2 meg drive b:.  Does anyone know how I can create a bootable
1.44 meg 386/ix floppy from my 1.2 meg distibution floppy?  I tried dd
unsuccessfully, but I could have specified some parameters incorrectly.
--
Steve Izen: {sun,uunet}!cwjcc!skybridge!izen386!steve  / Quote corner:
or steve%izen386.uucp@skybridge.scl.cwru.edu          /

erc@khijol.UUCP (Edwin R. Carp) (12/01/89)

In article <1989Nov29.174308.2169@chinet.chi.il.us> randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) writes:

>	2.0.2.  Now, my 3.5 inch drives don't work at 1.44 megs

Try running your machine at either NORMAL or SLOW speed.  Also, if that
doesn't work, try turning all of your shadowing OFF.  I have had the same
problem with my 386SX, as well as several different mfgrs 286 and 386 boxes.

It seems that the faster you go, the more diskette drives won't work.
Newsgroups: comp.unix.i386
Subject: Re: 1.44 drives on i386
In article <1989Nov29.174308.2169@chinet.chi.il.us> randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) writes:

>	2.0.2.  Now, my 3.5 inch drives don't work at 1.44 megs

Try running your machine at either NORMAL or SLOW speed.  Also, if that
doesn't work, try turning all of your shadowing OFF.  I have had the same
problem with my 386SX, as well as several different mfgrs 286 and 386 boxes.

It seems that the faster you go, the more diskette drives won't work.
----------------------------------- cut here -----------------------------------
           Ed Carp	N7EKG/5 (28.3-28.5)	erc@khijol
           Austin,  Tx; (home) (512) 445-2044
           Snail Mail:  1800 E. Stassney  #1205
                        Austin, Tx  78744

pcg@aber-cs.UUCP (Piercarlo Grandi) (12/02/89)

In article <4007@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> izen@cwru.cwru.edu (Steven H. Izen) writes:

    Now here's a question for the netlanders:

    I'm thinking of swapping my two drives, to make the 1.44 meg (in dos language)
    a:, and my 1.2 meg drive b:.  Does anyone know how I can create a bootable
    1.44 meg 386/ix floppy from my 1.2 meg distibution floppy?  I tried dd
    unsuccessfully, but I could have specified some parameters incorrectly.

This also works for Microport, ESIX, etc...:

Just copy the first track, and then copy the rest. Under esix, copy the
first track using /dev/rdsk/f[01]t, and then copy the rest using
/dev/rdsk/f[01].

Or just copy all the disc but the 1st track using /dev/dsk/f[01], and then
install the boot /etc/fboot on the 1st track using /dev/dsk/f1t.
--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

lee@sq.sq.com (Liam R. E. Quin) (12/06/89)

I am posting this because it's a useful thing to do, and not everyone thinks
of it...

Steven H. Izen (izen@cwru.cwru.edu) wrote:
>I'm thinking of swapping my two drives, to make the 1.44 meg (in dos language)
>a:, and my 1.2 meg drive b:.  Does anyone know how I can create a bootable
>1.44 meg 386/ix floppy from my 1.2 meg distibution floppy?  I tried dd
>unsuccessfully, but I could have specified some parameters incorrectly.

Yes.  If you want to use dd, you can, but you have to use the "dt" devices
in order to copy the boot track.

The most useful thing to do though -- and the reason for posting this -- is
to mount your bootable "install" floppy, and use dd to make an image copy
so you can make new ones (the same size) later, but *also* to use
	mkdir /floppy  # to keep the stuff -- change as appropriate
	dd if=/dev/rdsk/f0q15dt of=/floppy/IMAGEf0q15dt  # or whatever
	mount /dev/dsk/f0q15d /mnt  # mount it as /mnt
	cd /mnt # whir whir clank
	find . -print | cpio -pdlmv /floppy/files
	cd /floppy/files
	umount /dev/rdsk/f0q15d  # or whatever -- "/mnt" might be OK

Now you can look at the files that were on the boot floppy in the comfort
of your own winchester :-)...

In particular, INSTALL and INSTALL2 show how the hard disk is made bootable
using dd from the boot track, and copying the necessary /etc/default files,
etc., into place.
You can also shave a few blocks off these scripts, which will mean that you
can then install Unix a few more times before they becomre unuseable (or is
that fixed in 2.0.2?  I haven't checked).

And of course, you can make a bootable disk with different programs on it...

Lee
--
Liam R. Quin, Unixsys (UK) Ltd [note: not an employee of "sq" - a visitor!]
lee@sq.com (Whilst visiting Canada from England, until Christmas)

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (12/09/89)

pcg@aber-cs.UUCP (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:

>In article <4007@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> izen@cwru.cwru.edu (Steven H. Izen) writes:
>
>    Now here's a question for the netlanders:
>
>    I'm thinking of swapping my two drives, to make the 1.44 meg (in dos language)
>    a:, and my 1.2 meg drive b:.  Does anyone know how I can create a bootable
>    1.44 meg 386/ix floppy from my 1.2 meg distibution floppy?  I tried dd
>    unsuccessfully, but I could have specified some parameters incorrectly.

>This also works for Microport, ESIX, etc...:

[ formula how to do this deleted ]

OK, and now the other way around. I have a 1.44 MB boot floppy
and want to produce a 1.2 MB boot floppy. I imagined this would work
on a system with a 1.2 MB boot drive and a secondary 1.44 MB drive:

	format /dev/rdsk/f0q15dt
	dd if=/etc/fboot of=/dev/dsk/f0q15dt
	mkfs /dev/dsk/f0q15d 2370:144 1 32
	labelit /dev/dsk/f0q15d instal flop
	mkdir /a /b
	mount /dev/dsk/f0q15d /a
	mount -r /dev/dsk/f1q18d /b
	cd /b
	find . -print | cpio -pdmuav /a

This boot diskette will boot, display copyright messages,
but then complains with:

	FD drv 0, blk 1581: Sector not found
	NOTICE: page read error on floppy disk 0, partition 2

So, what went wrong?

--
Pim Zandbergen                           domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                          uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim