[comp.unix.i386] Which SCSI adapter is better??

jessea@dynasys.UUCP ( Sysadmin.) (11/16/89)

I'm thinking about purchasing a Seagate ST-296N and I would like to know what
a good SCSI controller would be.  I am running an Everex 386/16 and would like
this to be compatible with SCO Xenix and AT+T Unix.  I  would also like the
ability to add an SCSI tape drive in the future and perhaps another SCSI hard
drive as well (2 hard drives AND a tape drive).  Can anyone give me any
pointers here?

--
Jesse W. Asher - Dynasys - (901)382-1705       Internet: jessea@dynasys.UU.NET
6196-1 Macon Rd., Suite 200, Memphis, TN 38134     UUCP: uunet!dynasys!jessea

neese@adaptex.UUCP (11/17/89)

>I'm thinking about purchasing a Seagate ST-296N and I would like to know what
>a good SCSI controller would be.  I am running an Everex 386/16 and would like
>this to be compatible with SCO Xenix and AT+T Unix.  I  would also like the
>ability to add an SCSI tape drive in the future and perhaps another SCSI hard
>drive as well (2 hard drives AND a tape drive).  Can anyone give me any
>pointers here?

SCO XENIX 2.3GT supports the Adaptec AHA-1540A/1542A.  Tape support as well.
I don't know about AT&T or what they support.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer
			UUCP @ {texbell,attctc}!cpe!adaptex!neese
				merch!adaptex!neese

swatt@cup.portal.com (Steven Edward Watt) (11/18/89)

  The SCO Sys V/386 support of the Adaptek 1540 is pleasantly clean...
I now have 3 drives in my system (a Rose Hill '386/20), 2 of which are
ST-506, the other is SCSI.  The SCSI drive is a Rodime 1140 (I think...)
and the filesystem transfer rates (for Acer file system) seem to be around
300k/sec.  Almost as good as the DECStation 2100 I use at work.

  Impressive, on the whole...

  OBTW:  Does anybody know of some good SCSI tape drives, preferably
less than $800, > 100MB capacity?

Steve Watt
swatt@cup.portal.com    ...!ucbvax!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!swatt

davely@mcrware.UUCP (Dave Lyons) (11/22/89)

In article <24171@cup.portal.com> swatt@cup.portal.com (Steven Edward Watt) writes:

> [stuff deleted]
>
>  OBTW:  Does anybody know of some good SCSI tape drives, preferably
>less than $800, > 100MB capacity?
>
>Steve Watt
>swatt@cup.portal.com    ...!ucbvax!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!swatt

	Here at Microware we use a fair number of Archive 2150S drives.
They have a 150MB capacity, can read QIC-24, QIC-120 and QIC-150 and
can write QIC-120 and QIC-150.  We pay around $650 when we buy in 1-2
quantity.  We've had fairly good luck with them (no dead drives or
people cussing out Archive engineers and/or their mothers).  We've bought
around 15 of them so far so on the whole I'd say our experience has
been a 8^) one.

Sorry if I ramble a bit but our software won't post unless there's more
new news than old news.

 Dave Lyons - ...!sun!mcrware!davely  | On Second though let's not go to
 My employer laughs at my opinions.   | Camelot... 'Tis a silly place

larry@macom1.UUCP (Larry Taborek) (11/27/89)

From article <21@dynasys.UUCP>, by jessea@dynasys.UUCP ( Sysadmin.):

> I'm thinking about purchasing a Seagate ST-296N and I would like to know what
> a good SCSI controller would be.  I am running an Everex 386/16 and would like
> this to be compatible with SCO Xenix and AT+T Unix.  I  would also like the
> ability to add an SCSI tape drive in the future and perhaps another SCSI hard
> drive as well (2 hard drives AND a tape drive).  Can anyone give me any
> pointers here?

Jesse,

I just posted a rather long article (72 lines) on how happy I am
with an Adaptec AHA1542 SCSI controller.  If you would like more
information, or have questions, call me at Centel (703) 758-7000
or email to me at uunet\!grebyn\!macom1\!Larry.

I just can't say enough good things about this controller.
--
Larry Taborek	..!uunet!grebyn!macom1!larry	Centel Federal Systems
		larry@macom1.UUCP		11400 Commerce Park Drive

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (12/01/89)

In article <4976@macom1.UUCP> larry@macom1.UUCP (Larry Taborek) writes:
<From article <21@dynasys.UUCP>, by jessea@dynasys.UUCP ( Sysadmin.):
<>
<> I [want to add SCSI to] an Everex 386/16 and would like
<
<I just posted a rather long article (72 lines) on how happy I am
<with an Adaptec AHA1542 SCSI controller.
<I just can't say enough good things about this controller.

The only downside being that AT&T nor INTEL are delivering a UNIX that can
use the SCSI controller, Adaptec 1542A or otherwise.  It is, in my opinion,
a serious deficiency in their product offerings.

kEITHe

hkhenson@cup.portal.com (H Keith Henson) (12/02/89)

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:

>The only downside being that AT&T nor INTEL are delivering a UNIX that can
>use the SCSI controller, Adaptec 1542A or otherwise.  It is, in my opinion,
>a serious deficiency in their product offerings.

I have in my hand a Chantal SCSI driver for Intel Unix/386 ver. 3.2 dated
November 10, 1989.  It uses the Adaptec 1542A.  Keith Henson

(sorry, but I don't have the Intel Unix to try it out, but the ISC version
works ok)

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (12/02/89)

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:

>The only downside being that AT&T nor INTEL are delivering a UNIX that can
>use the SCSI controller, Adaptec 1542A or otherwise.  It is, in my opinion,
>a serious deficiency in their product offerings.

AT&T offer a UNIX that supports the Western Digital FASST
SCSI host adaptor.
--
Pim Zandbergen                             domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                            uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim

gerry@zds-ux.UUCP (Gerry Gleason) (12/07/89)

In article <24631@cup.portal.com> hkhenson@cup.portal.com (H Keith Henson) writes:
>keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
>>The only downside being that AT&T nor INTEL are delivering a UNIX that can
>>use the SCSI controller, Adaptec 1542A or otherwise.  It is, in my opinion,
>>a serious deficiency in their product offerings.

>I have in my hand a Chantal SCSI driver for Intel Unix/386 ver. 3.2 dated
>November 10, 1989.  It uses the Adaptec 1542A.  Keith Henson

I don't think this is an answer to the original question.  In order to be
able to install on a SCSI drive with a particular controller, the appropriate
driver needs to be in the UNIX on the install floppy.  Although I haven't
tried to do it, you can probably install first on an "AT" style drive
(ESDI/ST506), then build a kernel that can mount a SCSI drive, then move
everything over to the SCSI drive.  There is some magic necessary to build
a bootable SCSI drive, and I don't think you'll find this proceedure
documented anywhere.  In particular, you need to change the file
/etc/conf/cf.d/sassign to have the major number of your SCSI disk driver
instead of Interactive's number before building the kernel you install
on the SCSI disk.

By the way, is there anyone else that is upset at how both Interactive and
SCO each have an undocumented kludge that pulls all there disk drivers
under a single "psuedo-driver" so that no one else can reasonably write
a driver compatible with it?  Does anyone at Interactive want to defend
this kludge?

Gerry Gleason

In article <6435@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:

>The only downside being that AT&T nor INTEL are delivering a UNIX that can
>use the SCSI controller, Adaptec 1542A or otherwise.  It is, in my opinion,
>a serious deficiency in their product offerings.

This is no longer true.  I just had a blurb from AT&T faxed to me that
SCSI support is available for the 386 SysVR3.2.2.  The AT&T 6386E/33
(made by Intel)  has an internal SCSI as the boot device.  The other
models use ESDI for the the boot device but can add SCSI for secondary
devices.
I quote:
"AT&T 6386 WGS computers enhanced with SCSI support the suite of AT&T
3B2 SCSI peripherals."
Sounds encouraging to me (but then I'm not manufacturing 3B2's....).

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

herder@myab.se (Jan Herder) (12/14/89)

In article <39@zds-ux.UUCP> gerry@zds-ux.UUCP (Gerry Gleason) writes:
>I don't think this is an answer to the original question.  In order to be
>able to install on a SCSI drive with a particular controller, the appropriate
>driver needs to be in the UNIX on the install floppy.  Although I haven't
>tried to do it, you can probably install first on an "AT" style drive
>(ESDI/ST506), then build a kernel that can mount a SCSI drive, then move
>everything over to the SCSI drive.  There is some magic necessary to build
>a bootable SCSI drive, and I don't think you'll find this proceedure
>documented anywhere.  In particular, you need to change the file
>/etc/conf/cf.d/sassign to have the major number of your SCSI disk driver
>instead of Interactive's number before building the kernel you install
>on the SCSI disk.
>Gerry Gleason

The documenation that comes with the WD1007-FASST drivers describes how to
do this. There is an installscript supplyed that makes a bootable floppy.
In order to make a bootable floppy you need an up and running system.
There should be no extra drivers included, otherwise the unix will
bee to large for the floppy drive.

    You must also change the name "scsiprim" to something shorter due
to a bug in "/etc/conf/bin/idmaster". "idmaster" is a program that
returns the next free major number. It fails to recognise any
device name thats 8 characters long although a device name can be up
to 8 characters. If you don't do this the next driver you install
will get the same major number as "scsiprim" and everything bails out.

    The above is for Bell/Intel 386 5.3.2.
--
Jan Herder, MYAB Sweden                    |  Phone: +46 31 18 75 12
Internet: herder@myab.se                   |  Fax:   +46 31 18 28 42