[comp.unix.i386] Questions on X11 xterm and termcaps

erc@pai.UUCP (Eric Johnson) (12/14/89)

I'm rather new to Interactive's 386/ix UNIX for the PC, and
I'm sure some of you have solved this problem:

1) I use X11 as my standard interface.
2) In the C shell, csh, using xterm, when the TERM variable is
set to "xterm", I find vi does NOT like the arrow keys
on my PC/AT keyboard at all.

If I use a TERM set to "vt100", the arrow keys are just hunky-dory, but
the vi editor will not scroll down text when a line is inserted.

Both situations make text editing no fun.  I'm new to both
termcap (used by vi, I belive) and terminfo, but I am aware of
their basic concepts.  Does anyone have a good termcap entry
(or a terminfo entry if the 386/ix vi uses terminfo) that
solves this problem?  Its annoying enough that I am sure others
have solved it.  Unfortunately, my boss installed the software
(I'm using his machine as a loaner), so I'm not sure of all
the set-up options that were used.  The Release notes list the
version as 2.0 (First printing Dec 88), with UNIX System V/R3.2.

I'd appreciate any help on this,
thanks,
-Eric

--
Eric F. Johnson, Boulware Technologies, Inc.
415 W. Travelers Trail, Burnsville, MN 55337 USA.  Phone: +1 612-894-0313.

rick@pcrat.uucp (Rick Richardson) (12/15/89)

In article <786@pai.UUCP> erc@pai.UUCP (Eric Johnson) writes:

>1) I use X11 as my standard interface.
>2) In the C shell, csh, using xterm, when the TERM variable is
>set to "xterm", I find vi does NOT like the arrow keys
>on my PC/AT keyboard at all.

Remove the "smkx" capability from the xterm terminfo description.
The function and arrow keys are described with the "normal"
sequences in the xterm description, but the smkx capability
switches the emulator into sending the "application" sequences.

I may have this backwards, and my VT100 terminology may be
lacking, but if you get rid of "smkx" everything will work OK.

-Rick
--
Rick Richardson |       Looking for FAX software for UNIX/386 ??????     mention
PC Research,Inc.|                  WE'RE SHIPPING			 your