[comp.unix.i386] ESIX Networks and X

palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (12/04/89)

From article <1989Dec3.044931.5780@NCoast.ORG>, by mikes@NCoast.ORG (Mike Squires):
> In article <13366@s.ms.uky.edu> jpenny@ms.uky.edu (Jim Penny) writes:
>>
>>Does anyone have experience with this (relatively recent) implementation?
>>In particular, is anyone using it with RFS?  What hardware is supported
>>wrt network cards?  Does it seem solid?
>>					  Thanks
>>					  Jim Penny

		     It's 415-623-8809 and 415-623-8806.
		     The '8806' number has a TB+ on it.

		       VVVVVVVVVVVVV
> The "fiver" BBS at 415 562 8809/8806 runs ESIX.  The Sysop reports problems
> with X (slow) but otherwise he likes it.  I don't know if he's tested the
> networking.

  Well actually I have been running the later Rev ESIX and the X-windows
is faster. However I beleive my system configuration is incorrect to
test the performance of X.
First let me give you an idea what I'm running on:
CT Chip set 25Mhz (2 meg interleave) (6meg 16bit expansion mem)
                  8 Mhz io bus.
No coprocessor
Two Toshiba ESDI drives with Adaptec Controller.
Vega VGA card  (One of the first slow bit chip sets to come out)
Two dumb IO serial ports.

 A bunch of other stuff but I don't think it's relevant to the performance
of the X-windows. First I don't have a good way of testing the performance
of X and compareing it with other systems. I have heard of some X benchmark
test that I would like to get a hold of. In the ESIX Rev C they have changed
the scrolling method within the screens and it is faster. What's interesting
is that the disk activeity from the Cnews program slows the scrolling down.
What I would like to know how screens are drawn in X with VGA cards and
what factors will change this.  The ESIX X now supports the Vega Vram cards,
Paridise 16 bit VGA cards, Orchid's 16bit chards, and Tatung 16 bit VGA
and Everex's VGA cards. It also supports 800x600 and 1024x764 resoulutions
on the fast 16bit cards. Now I've seen it on the Everex Step machines with
their VGA cards and it's fast. But there machines do have an advantage over
mine. If your going to do this don't configure your machine the way I have.
Get a fast cache machine with a fast video card etc etc.

 As for the networking I'm useing NFS. It's Wollogangs and it's sold as
an addition to the ESIX package. It dosn't have support for yellow pages,
but it does work with PC-NFS. I'm running it connected to a 386SX machine
and run QEEMS to get a little aditional memory when running large programs
on the dos machine. This combination works with Ventura Publisher. As long
as the unix filename where something that the vp could understand. I also
tried running MS-windows along with PC-NFS. You have to remove the QEMMS
for MS-windows as they will not co-exsist. Windows workds ok accross the
net. You have to convert the files to a dos format and make sure the filename
is something that dos can understand. I found it's easier to open a window
in one write session and just transfer a cut over to another write window.

 I'm useing Western Digitals WD8003E eithernet cards. And it also works
with Everex's eithernet cards along with 3Comms. In my opinion the ESIX
package with NFS and PC-NFS is cost effective and would be productive in
an office enviorment. I think ISC or SCO is going to have a hard time
to justify the cost in this arena.

 As for bugs I haven't found any show stoppers. Couple of things I noticed
no 'newaliases' in the sendmail package. It could be hidden somewhere but
I haven't found it yet. I'm not useing sendmail anyways. I've heard that
there is a problem running sendmail and TB's. I have a TB and get news
every night and it dosn't seem to affect my performance. The only time
I had a problem is when I was running some io benchmarks on the disk drives,
when was doing 5 20meg benchmarks on the disks it slowed the system down
and respawned a new sendmail. In the manuals it says there is support
for Imake, but I haven't found it. Would be nice for compiling X stuff that
comes with Imake files.

  I like ESIX manuals better than the Prentice Hall books. Three ring type
binders. Looks like they where done with Jetroff. They have done a better
job on the installation notes than the previous version.

 There is also support for SCSI drives. I beleive with the adaptec controller.
I will probably stick with  ESDI and go with a cacheing controller when they
become more reasonable in price. Rumor has it rev D will have the fast file
system.  About benchmarks, I ran it on a Xenix 386 machine running 33mhz
with ESDI drives (and the latest 386 Xenix OS) and my ESIX system with
a similiar drive/controller combination. The Xenix machine turned out
to be only 20k/bytes faster on the writes and slower on the reads (by 30k).
This was done without tuneing on either system.

All in all I'm quite happy with what Everex did with ESIX. These are
my opinions. I'm sure there are other out there that will disagree with me.
I'm sure I'll have more to say about X after I make some changes in my
system. (And afford it, expensive little hobby here.)

 Has anyone tried the Cyrix math coprocessor on unix? If so have you run
benchmarks on it. Speaking of math coprocessor's, I took my 80287 out
of my 386 board because after running some benchmarks I found out
it slows auto types, function calls, multiply's ????, and reg int's.
The only thing it really helped was double's as far as I can see.
Amazeing, X felt faster after I removed the 287 coprocessor.

 I would also like to here any comments on how ddx interacts with the
VGA card and what factors improves the screen updates.

---Bob

--
 Bob Palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*                   login: bbs
 Work: {sun,decwrl,pyramid}!megatest!palowoda

bir7@portia.Stanford.EDU (Ross Biro) (12/05/89)

I'm running ESIX 3.2 rev c on a 386/20 with 4 meg of page memory, a WD1007-WA2
ESDI controller connected to a 340 meg drive.  Overall ESIX has performed
well, but I have found a few problems:

With 4 meg of memory, X is all but unuseable.  I can run one copy of xterm
without serious problems but after that memory becomes full and everytime I
move the mouse I have to wait for something to be swapped.

The networking software does not support domain resolution (i.e. my machine
is connected to internet, but I can only ftp etc. to .stanford.edu machines.)

The dos support (mdir etc.) only supports 12 bit FATs so it is all but
impossible to access a dos partition on a hard drive.

The floppy driver doesn't sense the media type on 3.5" disks, it just assumes
that they are the maximum density that the drive will support, thus it is
impossible to use 720k disks in a 1.44 meg drive without changing your setup
parms, and the 1.44 meg disks are treated as 1.2 meg disks so they will not
be compatible with dos.

There may be a problem with interactions between the select function and
an Alarm handler.  This doesn't cause problems with any of the software
supplied with ESIX but it may cause problems when porting software from
bsd boxes.

----

The problem with the 12 bit FATs and the floppy driver were told to me
by ESIX technical support so they are aware of them, but I am under the
impression that they have no plans for fixes in the near future.  The
technical support people were unaware of any problem with select, so
it could just be my imagination (but I did send them some code which I
think demonstrates the problem.)  The only other problems I have encountered
when running ESIX are do to lack of memory.  When I compiled the GNU c
compiler the make took three days while most of the CPU time was spent
swapping pages to and from the hard disk.  I think with another 4 meg
it would have taken about 2-3 hours.

Ross Biro
bir7@portia.stanford.edu (uunet!stanford!portia!bir7)

akcs.larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (12/05/89)

>what factors will change this.  The ESIX X now supports the Vega Vram cards,

>Paridise 16 bit VGA cards, Orchid's 16bit chards, and Tatung 16 bit VGA
>and Everex's VGA cards. It also supports 800x600 and 1024x764 resoulutions

Do you know if the ATI board is supported?

> As for the networking I'm useing NFS. It's Wollogangs and it's sold as
>an addition to the ESIX package. It dosn't have support for yellow pages,
>but it does work with PC-NFS. I'm running it connected to a 386SX machine

Are you networking to a DOS machine or another Unix machine?

>  I like ESIX manuals better than the Prentice Hall books. Three ring type
>binders. Looks like they where done with Jetroff. They have done a better
>job on the installation notes than the previous version.

I assume these are the manuals that they sell extra for $275 - the
"technical reference set"

>become more reasonable in price. Rumor has it rev D will have the fast file
>system.  About benchmarks, I ran it on a Xenix 386 machine running 33mhz
>with ESDI drives (and the latest 386 Xenix OS) and my ESIX system with

There are marketing their fast file system in the lit that came in
yesterday's mail.

>All in all I'm quite happy with what Everex did with ESIX. These are
>my opinions. I'm sure there are other out there that will disagree with me.

I agree.  My hats off to Everex which looks like a excellent option.  Are
they available for support via a uucp address?

larry@nstar -or- ....!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry

palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (12/06/89)

From article <[257baaa6:235.1]comp.unix.i386;1@nstar.UUCP>, by akcs.larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder):
>>what factors will change this.  The ESIX X now supports the Vega Vram cards,
>
>>Paridise 16 bit VGA cards, Orchid's 16bit chards, and Tatung 16 bit VGA
>>and Everex's VGA cards. It also supports 800x600 and 1024x764 resoulutions
>
> Do you know if the ATI board is supported?

  It dosn't say in the doc about supporting the ATI. But just for you
  Larry I will test it for the low low price of $99.95.

>> As for the networking I'm useing NFS. It's Wollogangs and it's sold as
>>an addition to the ESIX package. It dosn't have support for yellow pages,
>>but it does work with PC-NFS. I'm running it connected to a 386SX machine
>
> Are you networking to a DOS machine or another Unix machine?

 Larry, come on, turn on your brain for a second and think about what
 I said in the article. If I'm writeing about PC-NFS and useing
 Microsoft Windows accoss the net to the UNIX host I think it's safe
 for you to assume I'm networked to a dos machine. Yes it works accross
 the ethernet. If you wish to find out more about the PC-NFS product
 for DOS call up Sun. The prices don't seem to bad about 400 a station.

>>  I like ESIX manuals better than the Prentice Hall books. Three ring type
>>binders. Looks like they where done with Jetroff. They have done a better
>>job on the installation notes than the previous version.
>
> I assume these are the manuals that they sell extra for $275 - the
> "technical reference set"

 Correct.

>>become more reasonable in price. Rumor has it rev D will have the fast file
>>system.  About benchmarks, I ran it on a Xenix 386 machine running 33mhz
>>with ESDI drives (and the latest 386 Xenix OS) and my ESIX system with
>
> There are marketing their fast file system in the lit that came in
> yesterday's mail.
>
>>All in all I'm quite happy with what Everex did with ESIX. These are
>>my opinions. I'm sure there are other out there that will disagree with me.
>
> I agree.  My hats off to Everex which looks like a excellent option.  Are
> they available for support via a uucp address?

  Yes, I believe it's jeff@everex. I am just finishing up a news connection
  to Everex's Fremont Software Test lab's. After they get use to the
  news I'm sure they also can answer some questions once in a while.

  If any one need tech details on the 88000K add in card for the everex
  machines 'andyb@ecsd' or 'sun!ys2!fiver!ecsd!andyb' should be able
  to help you. After working on one for a week I'll have to admit one
  of these cards makes a 386 scream. PCC feels like Turbo C.

  ---Bob

--

thurm@shorty.CS.WISC.EDU (Matthew Thurmaier) (12/06/89)

In article <10855@megatest.UUCP> palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:

>[text deleted....] In my opinion the ESIX
>package with NFS and PC-NFS is cost effective and would be productive in
>an office enviorment. I think ISC or SCO is going to have a hard time
>to justify the cost in this arena.
>
> There is also support for SCSI drives. I beleive with the adaptec controller.
>
>All in all I'm quite happy with what Everex did with ESIX. These are
>my opinions. I'm sure there are other out there that will disagree with me.
>I'm sure I'll have more to say about X after I make some changes in my
>system. (And afford it, expensive little hobby here.)
>
>---Bob
> Bob Palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*                   login: bbs
> Work: {sun,decwrl,pyramid}!megatest!palowoda
> Home: {sun}ys2!fiver!palowoda   (A XBBS System)       2-lines
> BBS:  (415)623-8809 2400/1200 (415)623-8806 1200/2400/9600/19200

Bob... Wait a minute.... I know ESIX is a pretty good deal BUT, have you
looked at Open Desktop from SCO.  Lets see, according to the add I have
here in front of me ESIX includes:
	1.) runtime O.S.
	2.) dev sys.
	3.) X-Sight
	4.) Streams
	availability of NFS and other goodies (looks like add-ons)

Open Desktop INCLUDES NFS, INGRESS, NFS, and a couple of more goodies for
only $100 more!  YOU CAN'T BEAT THAT.

Flames to me.....
Matthew.
Snail Mail:                                 E Mail:
Matthew J. Thurmaier                ...decvax!garp!harvard!uwvax!thurm
The Computer Classroom              matt@shorty.cs.wisc.edu
6701 Seybold Road, Ste. 122
Madison, WI 53719
(608) 271-2171
                                  "why am I ALWAYS going somewhere?" >>-matt-->

akcs.larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (12/06/89)

>Bob... Wait a minute.... I know ESIX is a pretty good deal BUT, have you
>looked at Open Desktop from SCO.  Lets see, according to the add I have
>here in front of me ESIX includes:
>	1.) runtime O.S.
>	2.) dev sys.
>	3.) X-Sight
>	4.) Streams
>	availability of NFS and other goodies (looks like add-ons)
>
>Open Desktop INCLUDES NFS, INGRESS, NFS, and a couple of more goodies for
>only $100 more!  YOU CAN'T BEAT THAT.

Are you referencing Open Desktop from SCO?   If so it is to the best of my
knowledge much more than ESIX.  The retail price for the ESIX multiuser
package is $825 ($611 quant 1-2) and that includes everything except for NFS.
Revision D of ESIX is due in the spring with the new fast file system which
is going to be faster than the Interactive file system (according to their
sales information and technical support).  ESIX support is FREE forever.
Major upgrades are $99, and minor ones are $25 per license (not per product).
ESIX is distributed with many drivers (unlike ISC) and supports most of the

In article <257cf554:235.4comp.unix.i386;1@nstar.UUCP> akcs.larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:

| Are you referencing Open Desktop from SCO?   If so it is to the best of my
| knowledge much more than ESIX.

  ESIX is $825 and Open Desktop will be <$1k ($975 was the price I
heard). That's about the $100 the original poster mentioned.

|                                 The retail price for the ESIX multiuser
| package is $825 ($611 quant 1-2) and that includes everything except
| for NFS.

  Desktop includes NFS.

| Revision D of ESIX is due in the spring with the new fast file system which
| is going to be faster than the Interactive file system (according to their
| sales information and technical support).

  SCO UNIX has FFS, too. I don't know if the Desktop version has the
security features. If it does it's a plus, but you have to turn them off
for best performance.

|                                            ESIX support is FREE forever.

  SCO support cost forever. Worse than that there is no upgrade policy.
I was going to go Xenix=>UNIX, but the support can't be upgraded and I
don't have any money in the support pocket. Result: stay with Xenix.

| Major upgrades are $99, and minor ones are $25 per license (not per product).
| ESIX is distributed with many drivers (unlike ISC) and supports most of the

  The posting was truncated at this point here, but I don't think anyone
has more drivers than SCO. And the X in Desktop is supposed to be the
good one from ix/386 (someone might confirm this).

  You didn't mention DOS under UNIX, Desktop uses DOSmerge rather than
vp/ix. This is a marketing decision.

  the choice is not as one sided as you might think. There are good
reasons to use both. Hopefully this clarifies the features of Desktop.
SCO has NOT made the info as available as they might, but they are
supposedly not shipping until 1Q90.

that the world is flat!" - anon

eric@egsner.cirr.com (Eric Schnoebelen) (12/07/89)

In article <9315@spool.cs.wisc.edu> thurm@shorty.cs.wisc.edu
 (Matthew Thurmaier) writes:
- In article <10855@megatest.UUCP> palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
- >All in all I'm quite happy with what Everex did with ESIX. These are
- >my opinions. I'm sure there are other out there that will disagree with me.
- >I'm sure I'll have more to say about X after I make some changes in my
- >system. (And afford it, expensive little hobby here.)
- >
-
- Bob... Wait a minute.... I know ESIX is a pretty good deal BUT, have you
- looked at Open Desktop from SCO.  Lets see, according to the add I have
- here in front of me ESIX includes:
- 	1.) runtime O.S.
- 	2.) dev sys.
- 	3.) X-Sight
- 	4.) Streams
- 	availability of NFS and other goodies (looks like add-ons)
-
- Open Desktop INCLUDES NFS, INGRESS, NFS, and a couple of more goodies for
- only $100 more!  YOU CAN'T BEAT THAT.

        The low price version of Open Desktop that I saw was only a two
user license, and I believe that it lacked the software development kit.
If SCO has a $900+/- system running Unix (not Xenix) that includes all
of the above, with an unlimited user license, I certainly would be glad
to hear about it!  (it would change several recommendations I have made
recently.)

[All of the above:  unlimited user license, software development kit,
Streams, NFS, Xsight, Ingress, and documentors workbench would be nice]

- Matthew J. Thurmaier                ...decvax!garp!harvard!uwvax!thurm
- The Computer Classroom              matt@shorty.cs.wisc.edu

--
Eric Schnoebelen	eric@egsner.cirr.com		schnoebe@convex.com
			"/bin/sh: Bourne in the USA"

mb@chantal.UUCP (Michael Burg) (12/08/89)

In article <1869@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
>In article <257cf554:235.4comp.unix.i386;1@nstar.UUCP> akcs.larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>
>| Revision D of ESIX is due in the spring with the new fast file system which
>| is going to be faster than the Interactive file system (according to their
>| sales information and technical support).
>
>  SCO UNIX has FFS, too. I don't know if the Desktop version has the
>security features. If it does it's a plus, but you have to turn them off
>for best performance.

	I believe that the ESIX FFS will be much faster than SCO UNIX FFS
and hopefully ISC FFS. The FFS is the true FFS from the BSD 4.2/4.3 world
(minus symbolic links). It will support the old System V directory layout
(14 characters per filename for applications that don't use ndir.h) or the
BSD directory layout (up to 255 characters per filename).
Hey, Jeff .. care to give us a update on this thing?

--Mike

jde@everex.UUCP (-Jeff Ellis) (12/08/89)

In article <11050@megatest.UUCP> palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
>From article <[257baaa6:235.1]comp.unix.i386;1@nstar.UUCP>, by akcs.larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder):
>> Do you know if the ATI board is supported?
>
>  It dosn't say in the doc about supporting the ATI. But just for you
>  Larry I will test it for the low low price of $99.95.

Well.... We are as of this time working on a driver for the ATI vga card
I do not know with it will be released.

>>>become more reasonable in price. Rumor has it rev D will have the fast file
>> There are marketing their fast file system in the lit that came in
>> yesterday's mail.

We are working on a BSD Fast File System..... again I do not know
when it will be put into production.

>> I agree.  My hats off to Everex which looks like a excellent option.  Are
>> they available for support via a uucp address?
>
>  Yes, I believe it's jeff@everex. I am just finishing up a news connection
>  to Everex's Fremont Software Test lab's. After they get use to the
>  news I'm sure they also can answer some questions once in a while.
>
> Bob Palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*                   login: bbs
Yes ESIX support is available via uucp send any e-mail to
jde@everex.uucp (not jeff@everex) or esixtech@everex.uucp.
All mail sent to these accounts are printed dailey and put into a
log book. I answer mail sent to me normally within 24 hours if possible.
The Everex north software lab is NOT qualified to answer non-DOS questions.
Phone support is through (714) 259-3000.

Thanks....

--
Jeff Ellis		ESIX SYSTEM/V A Division Everex Systems Inc.
			US Mail: 1923 St. Andrew Place, Santa Ana, CA 92705

palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (12/08/89)

From article <9315@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, by thurm@shorty.CS.WISC.EDU (Matthew Thurmaier):
> In article <10855@megatest.UUCP> palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:

> Bob... Wait a minute.... I know ESIX is a pretty good deal BUT, have you
> looked at Open Desktop from SCO.  Lets see, according to the add I have
> here in front of me ESIX includes:
> 	1.) runtime O.S.
> 	2.) dev sys.
> 	3.) X-Sight
             ^^^^^^^
	      Wrong. ESIX is Xwindows. (X-Sight is a DOS type product)

> 	4.) Streams
> 	availability of NFS and other goodies (looks like add-ons)

        I did say NFS is extra. In fact I think they arange it quite
	simple. You get everything but the NFS or VPIX.

> Open Desktop INCLUDES NFS, INGRESS, NFS, and a couple of more goodies for
> only $100 more!  YOU CAN'T BEAT THAT.

	Now what your saying here is you get:
	   SCO UNIX 3.2 UNLIMITED Version
	   C Development system (includeing Code view)
				This would include all the librarys
				for the Xwindows product they sell and
				the libraries for the network software.

	   NFS includeing all the ethernet routines and drivers
	       to get it running.
           DOS Merge 386.
	   INGRESS.
	   SCO Windows (X-windows with Motif)

		     For $925.00?

        I beleive your talking about a two user system here right.
	Think how stupied it would be to get a two user system and run
	NFS and a multi-user database. TWO USER LICENSE's ARE USELESS
	IN THESE TYPES OF UNIX ENVIORNMENTS. Some may disagree with me
	but I doubt that they would want to pay for the users who cannot
	upgrade there system from a two user system to the unlimited version.

        I thought about the INGRESS Database in the package myself. At
	first I thought it was a good deal. But I found out there are
	better databases than INGRESS and you can't subtract the database
	from the package price. I figure 350 for the Simul-task and
	800 for the Informix DB in on that.

	And I really think if you put the prices in more perspective the
	complete SCO UNIX cost about 3600.00. If I where to add the feature
	your talking about here to get an equivalent package I would say
	I'm at the 2000.00. Now I'm not saying that SCO isn't good.
	I've used there software a couple of years and liked it. But
	1600.00 isn't chicken feed to me. So what I would like to know
	is where's the beef?  And what are the REAL PRICES?

> Flames to me.....

	 None intented.

--
 Bob Palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*                   login: bbs
 Work: {sun,decwrl,pyramid}!megatest!palowoda
 Home: {sun}ys2!fiver!palowoda   (A XBBS System)       2-lines
 BBS:  (415)623-8809 2400/1200 (415)623-8806 1200/2400/9600/19200

gwr@linus.UUCP (Gordon W. Ross) (12/09/89)

I have tested the X server from ESIX RevC with the ATI EGA Wonder
and it worked after I disabled the "special emulation features".

As I recall from the ATI manual, switch 8 enables a feature which
permits software written for the CGA and hercules adapters to run on
the EGA Wonder.  It appears that this feature causes the EGA to behave
in ways not understood by the ESIX device driver.  With the emulation
feature disabled the card behaves exactly like an IBM EGA (and works
fine with ESIX).

--
Gordon W. Ross (E025)	ARPA:  gwr@linus.mitre.org
The MITRE Corporation	UUCP:  {decvax,philabs}!linus!gwr

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (12/10/89)

> I'm running ESIX 3.2 rev c on a 386/20 with 4 meg of page memory, a WD1007-WA2
> ESDI controller connected to a 340 meg drive.  Overall ESIX has performed
> well, but I have found a few problems:
>
> With 4 meg of memory, X is all but unuseable.  I can run one copy of xterm
> without serious problems but after that memory becomes full and everytime I
> move the mouse I have to wait for something to be swapped.

Do you have a math co-processor?  I've been told that those are really required
when running X - and can make quite a difference in screen IO.

Does ESIX support RLL drive subsystems?

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (12/10/89)

Jeff, which mailer are you distributing with ESIX?

larry@nstar

bir7@portia.Stanford.EDU (Ross Biro) (12/11/89)

>Do you have a math co-processor? I've been told that those are really required
>when running X - and can make quite a difference in screen IO.

I don't have a 387 but I've heard the same thing and am considering it.

>Does ESIX support RLL drive subsystems?

I'm not sure, but Everex can be reached at EVEREX.UUCP.

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (12/14/89)

From article <453@everex.UUCP>, by jde@everex.UUCP (-Jeff Ellis):

> Yes ESIX support is available via uucp send any e-mail to
> jde@everex.uucp (not jeff@everex) or esixtech@everex.uucp.
> All mail sent to these accounts are printed dailey and put into a
> log book. I answer mail sent to me normally within 24 hours if possible.
> The Everex north software lab is NOT qualified to answer non-DOS questions.

  Excuse me, I meant to reference any questions about there 88000 UNIX systems.

  Speaking of tech support, do you have any list of system tuneable
parameters the would help performance with machines with let's say 8meg
of memory? Or any of the streams tuneable parameters that would affect
ftp, Xwindows etc?

  Some more detailed questions are:

  How does NUMTIM affect streams efficacy?

  What factors come in when setting the number of NBK sizes?

  What does increaseing the number of NQUEUE's do with respect
  to a single user and multiusers?

  What streams tuneable factors take more effect for a single user
  useing Xwindows or a network as opposed to multiple users?

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda  pacbell!indetech!palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun|daisy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400

jde@everex.UUCP (-Jeff Ellis) (12/14/89)

ESIX System/V comes with mail, mailx, and sendmail is included in the
TCP/IP package for ethernet mailing. I am using smail 2.5 and ELM
together for our usenet computer. Having a program that uses pathalias
output is VERY NICE. These programs can be found on various bbs' around
and can be compiled and up in about an hour or so.

--

wingard@Columbia.NCR.COM (12/16/89)

In article <951@fiver.UUCP> palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:

>  Some more detailed questions are:
>
>  How does NUMTIM affect streams efficacy?

It sets the number of "timod" STREAMS modules (which implement TLI
endpoint support) available in the system.  For implementations of
X11 or TCP/IP based on TLI, it is one of the limiting factors on the
maximum number of simultaneous X or TCP/IP connections (since you have
to have a timod for every connection).

>  What factors come in when setting the number of NBK sizes?

Basically, the total volume of STREAMS traffic you expect.  My experience
has been that 4, 16, and 64 byte buffers are the ones you need most of.
The amount of memory you have is a factor also -- it's nice to have huge
pools of buffers waiting around, but not you if get a huge kernel that
makes all your programs swap for lack of available space.  I can't give
give you accurate sample numbers, 'cause it might be an apples and oranges
comparison -- I administer an NCR Tower 32/825 with 3 processors with
16 MB apiece, supporting 10 users and 30+ xterm sessions (and all the
xclock's, etc. that they like to run) running on X terminals over TCP/IP.
This is an excerpt from one of our STREAMS utilization reports (the
numbers are large because this kernel's been running for about a month):

Item        In Use     Free      Total      Max   Config   Failed
Streams:       198      618     299750      229      816       0
Queues:       1160     3202     609555      679     4362       0
NBLK4:          82      282    8996206      328      364    3307    ****
NBLK16:          0      428   12017790      343      428    1108    ****
NBLK64:        101      347   64584846      230      448       0
NBLK128:         7      185    5618815      176      192       9    ****
NBLK256:        92       68     707440      160      160      26    ****
NBLK512:        10       90     823046       48      100       0
NBLK1024:        5       63     266254       16       68       0
NBLK2048:        5       79      78489       17       84       0
NBLK4096:        0        6       2551        5        6       1
Mblocks:       302     2010  102707074     1213     2312       0
Dblocks:       302     1548   93095437      895     1850    4451

As you can see, I've still got to go in and bump up the allocations
marked with asterisks to handle our peak load.  In cases of severe
data block starvation, you won't see any messages or warnings --
you'll just see things slow down severely or just "freeze"; some
drivers that need a STREAMS block badly will just sleep until they can
get one (yecch).  The best tool for this is the "strstat" command in
crash.  You get reports like the one above that you can use to determine
if you've allocated enough resources.

>  What does increaseing the number of NQUEUE's do with respect
>  to a single user and multiusers?

Every STREAM is implemented by a series of queues.  Consequently,
increasing NQUEUE (in tandem with NSTREAM) gives you more available
STREAMS.  This is important if you've got a bunch of users doing
STREAMS stuff, or if you're one user doing a bunch of STREAMS stuff.
The "proper" ratio of NQUEUE/NSTREAM depends on the typical "height"
of your STREAMS stacks; i.e., how many modules do you usually have
PUSHed on a STREAM between the driver and the STREAM head?

>  What streams tuneable factors take more effect for a single user
>  useing Xwindows or a network as opposed to multiple users?

Assuming that you're using the AT&T-styled XWIN that makes all X server
communication over TLI & STREAMS whether you're local or remote, it's
all a matter of degree.  The STREAMS subsystem acts the same way whether
it's handling one user or ten -- you've just got to make sure that you
allocate resources proportionally to the number of users you expect and
the amount of traffic they're going to generate.  Remember that along
with NQUEUE, NSTREAM, and the NBLK parameters, you may need to increase
parameters like NUMTIM (as explained above), NUMTRW (for TLI connections
that expect a read(2)/write(2) interface instead of t_snd and t_recv),
and allocations for other STREAMS modules such as "ldterm", "ptem" and
the STREAMS pseudo-tty drivers.

Hope that this helps -- sorry if I got a little long-winded.

--
Steve Wingard				wingard@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM
NCR Corporation, E&M-Columbia		gatech!ncrats!ncrcae!wingard