[comp.unix.i386] Multiple CPUs: was: Re: Experience with SCO UNIX 5.3

From article <1989Dec8.045152.28169@NCoast.ORG>, by mikes@NCoast.ORG (Mike Squires):
> One product that SCO has that makes them hard to ignore is the product that
> supports multiple CPU's in a single machine, such as the Compaq Systempro.

What product is this? I haven't seen anything in my SCO price lists or
other info that says they have a multiple CPU product. I remember seeing
a press release that said they were working on a multiprocessor
implementation along with a couple of other companies.

Do you know something I don't?

j				|%|John Lawitzke, Dale Computer Corp., R&D
Inquiring minds just wondering. |%|Internet: jhl@frith.egr.msu.edu

In article <5759@cps3xx.UUCP> usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:

| What product is this? I haven't seen anything in my SCO price lists or
| other info that says they have a multiple CPU product. I remember seeing
| a press release that said they were working on a multiprocessor
| implementation along with a couple of other companies.

  It was demonstrated at UNIX Expo, among other places. WIll handle 386
or 486, although I'm told that the 1st CPU must be 386. This was
developed for the Zenith (I believe it's called the model Z1000)
multi-processor machine. Now that ZDS has been sold I don't know the
status of the project.

  The version I saw at Expo looked really good. Like any multi-cpu
system it becomes outstanding with pipes. I didn't see any info on a
multi-make, although that's one of the best reasons to have the extra
CPUs. I'm not sure thay don't have it, just that I didn't see it.

| Do you know something I don't?

  I guess not anymore ;-)
that the world is flat!" - anon

mikes@NCoast.ORG (Mike Squires) (12/13/89)

In article <5759@cps3xx.UUCP> usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
>From article <1989Dec8.045152.28169@NCoast.ORG>, by mikes@NCoast.ORG (Mike Squires):
>> One product that SCO has that makes them hard to ignore is the product that
>> supports multiple CPU's in a single machine, such as the Compaq Systempro.

..stuff deleted..

>Do you know something I don't?

Not likely :-)

There's an article on this product in the most recent InfoWorld.  It was
not developed by SCO but licensed from someone else, as is their practice.

aris@tabbs.UUCP (Aris Stathakis) (12/13/89)

From article <5759@cps3xx.UUCP>, by usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner):
}
} What product is this? I haven't seen anything in my SCO price lists or
} other info that says they have a multiple CPU product. I remember seeing
} a press release that said they were working on a multiprocessor
} implementation along with a couple of other companies.

It was announced at the Las Vegas COMDEX in conjunction with the PC
manufacturers that have released their multi-processor PC's (if you can
call them PC's anymore...).

Right now i think they only have 2 processor Machines, but they were talking
about having 16 processor 386's (and 486's).

All I can say is this kinda stuff makes me drool :-)

aris

--
Aris Stathakis | Bang: ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!tabbs!aris or aris@tabbs.UUCP
         - Gimme a beer and money sandwich....  Hold the bread -

markus@ti.com (Markus N. Richardson) (12/21/89)

aris@tabbs.UUCP (Aris Stathakis) writes:

>It was announced at the Las Vegas COMDEX in conjunction with the PC
>manufacturers that have released their multi-processor PC's (if you can
>call them PC's anymore...).

>Right now i think they only have 2 processor Machines, but they were talking
>about having 16 processor 386's (and 486's).

Any information whose UNIX kernel SCO is licensing this time around?  Or
is this a flavor of the ISC System V.3.2 UNIX one?

--
Markus R.
markus@ti.com

A .sig file?  I don't have any spare inodes!