[comp.unix.i386] Re^2: ESIX joys!!

uri@morannon.watson.ibm.com (Uri Blumenthal) (12/01/89)

In article <7011@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

> > The Color [X] is ABSOLUTELY unusable (slow).
>
> I haven't seen a color X that wasn't unusable by my standards. When a
> 33 MHz 80386 is less responsive than a 7 MHz 68000, there's something
> wrong, even if you *can* get work done.

Well, this thread is getting too long, but...

You say you haven't seen an unusable X by your standards? Fine, then
could you please try to do ANYTHING with ENIX Color X, and get back
to us, when you finish (if it will happen in this world :-)?  I leave
alone the fact that it's certainly SLOWER than all the other ports I've
ever seen, it SO slow that it can't be used - that's the problem!
And the black-and-white X-Server is just about the speed of color
servers, ported by others (yes, including AIX PS/2 16 MHz vs. 20 MHz
I have!! RAM's the same).

You don't believe - try yourself.

BTW, I ordered an upgrade, nothing happened yet. When the stuff
arrives (if ever :-) I'll post the results (was it working, and
if yes - how fast. By _my_ standards, do you hear, Peter? :-).
I was promised that the upgrade would really speed it up - but
let's see.

Regards,
Uri
============
<Disclaimer>

gwr@linus.UUCP (Gordon W. Ross) (12/21/89)

In article <1989Nov30.201416.10901@arnor.uucp> uri@ibm.com writes:

>In article <7011@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>
>> > The Color [X] is ABSOLUTELY unusable (slow).
>>
>> I haven't seen a color X that wasn't unusable by my standards. When
             [ double negative-> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ]
>> 33 MHz 80386 is less responsive than a 7 MHz 68000, there's something
>> wrong, even if you *can* get work done.
>
>Well, this thread is getting too long, but...
>
>You say you haven't seen an unusable X by your standards? [...]

[ Heated comments deleted for brevity ]

>Regards,
>Uri

By the way, Uri, the double negative Peter used means that every color
X he has seen has been unusable by his standards.  (Double negatives
are confusing and are therefore considered poor writing style.)

I also wanted to come to the defense of ESIX here (even though I have
no financial interest in them) because I am quite pleased with the
high quality X servers included in the (latest) revision C of their
system.  The color X (for the VGA) looks faster than the b/w server
from the previous release (Rev. B) and I find it very usable.
(I agree that the color X server in Rev. B was very slow.)

Other nice additions in Rev C. include support for several different
graphics adapters and support for high resolution modes (800x600x16
and 1024x768x16 on Paradise, Video 7 and others).

--
Gordon W. Ross (E025)	ARPA:  gwr@linus.mitre.org
The MITRE Corporation	UUCP:  {decvax,philabs}!linus!gwr