[comp.unix.i386] Hardware control flow for ISC 2.0.2 X6 update

root@gold.UUCP (Christian Seyb) (12/23/89)

I recently received the X6 update for ISC Unix 2.0.2. The documentation
describes how to connect a Telebit modem to the serial channels. The serial
channels seem to be fast enough with this update to handle 19200 Bd
connections.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything on how to enable hardware
control flow (RTS/CTS handshaking) with the new driver. Does anyone know,
wheather hardware control flow is supported with the X6 update and how it
is enabled?

regards Christian
Christian Seyb                Mailbox login: bbs        uucp login: nuucp
Unix Mailbox Filderstadt   ...!unido!nadia!gold!cs      Data: +49-711-776494

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (12/24/89)

In article <463@gold.UUCP>, root@gold.UUCP (Christian Seyb) writes:
> I recently received the X6 update for ISC Unix 2.0.2. The documentation
> describes how to connect a Telebit modem to the serial channels. The serial
> channels seem to be fast enough with this update to handle 19200 Bd
> connections.

I thought the X5 upgrade was the serial ASY fix, and X6 was for keymap
which is used on international keyboards?

> Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything on how to enable hardware
> control flow (RTS/CTS handshaking) with the new driver. Does anyone know,
> wheather hardware control flow is supported with the X6 update and how it
> is enabled?

Welcome to the club.  According to the docs, hardware flow control is
enabled with the new driver, but I never did get it to work - and quite
honestly must admit that I only played with it for 30 minutes or so since
I was installing a multiport board with a vendor supplied driver.

After changing hardware and serial cards, I now have the PEP working
with XON/XOFF (using the Computone driver - as a matter of fact all
my modems are locked and using only XON/XOFF) but the PEP is funny in
that on incoming calls with zmodem downloads, the PEP will always
yield retries (the first one after the third 1024K block).  With the
modems all locked at the highest baud rate the user calling in doesn't
have to hit control D to change the gettydefs entry and the modem will
downshift from the high DTE rate to the carriers rate.  That way on
good connections (which they all should be since all the modems have
MNP) even at 2400 baud - transfers are 272 cps on the V-Series - but the
PEP is down to 171 cps with the retries.  If I could get rid of the
retries, I'm sure the PEP throughput (at 2400) would be up there with
the V-Series around 272 cps..

happy holidays

--
Larry Snyder, Northern Star Communications, Notre Dame, IN
uucp: root@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!root