[comp.unix.i386] rlogin fails as root on ISC 386/ix

fritzz@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu (fritz zaucker) (12/22/89)

Hi,
is there anybody out there and not yet on holidays?
I have trouble with rlogging in on another machine
if I try to do this as root.
Both machines run 386/ix ver.2.02 . The /etc/hosts.equiv
files have the other machines in there and on each machine
there is the file /.rhosts with the corresponding line
otherhost root
in it.
I get the error message "Not on system console ..."
if I do
machine1>  rlogin machine2
as root.
Yes, I have removed the line
CONSOLE= ... something ...
in the /etc/default/login  file on both machines.

Please help, and soon if possible.

Thanks a lot

Fritz Zaucker

In article <1940@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu> fritzz@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu (fritz zaucker) writes:
>Hi,
>is there anybody out there and not yet on holidays?
>I have trouble with rlogging in on another machine
>if I try to do this as root.
>Both machines run 386/ix ver.2.02 . The /etc/hosts.equiv
>files have the other machines in there and on each machine
>there is the file /.rhosts with the corresponding line
>otherhost root
>in it.
>I get the error message "Not on system console ..."
>if I do
>machine1>  rlogin machine2
>as root.
>Yes, I have removed the line
>CONSOLE= ... something ...
>in the /etc/default/login  file on both machines.
>
>Please help, and soon if possible.
>
>Thanks a lot

Yep.  That doesn't work.  My workaround is to rlogin to a different account,
then "su".

What's going on there?  Security reasons, fine, but .rhosts should defeat
it, especially if the "CONSOLE" line is commented out of
/etc/default/login!

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]

ott@guug.UUCP (Joachim Ott) (12/31/89)

In article <1940@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu>, fritzz@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu (fritz zaucker) writes:
> Hi,
(rest deleted)
i have done this once for microport unix: find out the address of the string
'not on system console' in the data segment (use 'hd' and a calculator);
find out where this address is pushl'ed (to printf) - use 'dis'; shortly
after the printf-call is the exit-call - replace it with nop's (write your
own program). After this you can login as root from anywhere.
J. Ott

marc@CLIK.QC.CA (Marc Boucher) (01/01/90)

In article <39@guug.UUCP> ott@guug.UUCP (Joachim Ott) writes:
>In article <1940@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu>, fritzz@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu (fritz zaucker) writes:
>> Hi,
>(rest deleted)
>i have done this once for microport unix: find out the address of the string
>'not on system console' in the data segment (use 'hd' and a calculator);
>find out where this address is pushl'ed (to printf) - use 'dis'; shortly
>after the printf-call is the exit-call - replace it with nop's (write your
>own program). After this you can login as root from anywhere.
>J. Ott

	I have patched mine some time ago. no need for nop's.
Change 0x75 to 0xeb at offset 0xc26 in /etc/netlogin. You can use my recently
posted program to patch nfs remapping to do it too. (by changing the offset in
the source, of course).

--
Marc Boucher, sys/netadm @ CLIK Telematique Inc - marc@clik.qc.ca
5144668932_home 5149337161_clik 5149332164_fax  - Postmaster@clik.qc.ca