[comp.unix.i386] ISC update

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (12/19/89)

Well - nstar is now back up and running under 386/ix.  It really was easier
than I thought - expire everything in both the news and akcs message bases
(this took several hours alone - btw, b-news expire using -e 0 doesn't expire
everything - but this is the wrong conference for that), backup the drives
using tar, install 386/ix, re-configure drivers for hostess card and streamer,
tweak kernel, rebuild kernel, reboot OS, initialize second drive, make file
system, start restoring the tapes of the Xenix backup to the second physical
drive under ISC (this took a long time - each tape is filled to around 50
megabytes - and the restore (using tar xvfA /dev/tape) took around 6 hours per
tape), move the files to the correct directories and permissions then let her
rip!

I forgot how fast the ISC file system is over that of SCO.  Hot stuff indeed..
I also forgot to adjust ULIMIT both in the /etc/default/login AND in the
kernel - thus my tar restore of the tapes bombed in the middle on a 4+
megabyte message base hash index file and had to be re-started.  I also forgot
to adjust /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow and /etc/default/login to disable the
requirement for passwords for all logins like for my BBS callers.   Yes folks,
Unix System V is different than Xenix!  I must admit that the calls I've made
to Bryan at ISC went well.  Bryan has answered my support calls with good
solid information, and admits if he has to check into something more.
Excellent support, indeed.   I did learn of the X7 update coming out that
updates the mailer (sendmail).

Interactive Unix made it through multiple power drops, and the file systems
(3 of them on two physical drives) automatically recovered when the system
rebooted.  This has happened twice over the last couple of days.

Sendmail is not handling mail to bbs users (addressed to akcs.larry@nstar)
correctly.  When I was running smail - the mail was tossed using the transport
file which isn't available with sendmail.  I need to get sendmail setup to
handle messages addressed to akcs.larry@nstar to place the message in
/user/akcs/.users/larry/mbox which seems very possible - maybe in sendmail.cf?
If I can't get this running, I'll either need to install smail under 386/ix
or replace akcs.  AKCS is one of the best BBS packages I have ever seen - and
it's link into usenet is neat - and fast.  The threading is great, when you
go into a specific conference, messages are combined by topic instead of by
message number this way for example all the messages relating to "SCO with
RLL drives" are combined into one large item.  Not only is this easier to
read, but doesn't require a single directory entry for each and every message,
thus saving inodes which means that your drive's inode allocation will not
need to be changed.  Karl has done an excellent job with AKCS.   The reason
I even suggested removing AKCS is that since installing it 3 months ago, I
only have maybe 6 users - which I could just as easily given shell access to.
Most callers are use to calling PCBored and TBBS machines, and even though
AKCS is very friendly and logically makes sense, they expect the traditional
type of bbs - and after one call don't return since they didn't spend the time
to learn AKCS.

I've been amazed that the Xenix versions of AKCS, support utilities, and
news software all run just fine under 386/ix.  Xenix versions of ProYam
and utilities also run just fine.  I am wondering what additional overhead
is required to run Xenix binaries under Unix if any.

I've been told that nn is an excellent threaded news reader.  Does it run
well under X?  I'm in the process of installing nn right now.

Next project - order X-Windows.  Bryan @ ISC mentioned that the next release
of X (due in a couple of weeks) will support my ATI VGA Wonder board in the
800 by 600 mode - which will be welcome.  Now I need more memory - as 4
megabytes will be "on the border" and 8 would be ideal.  At least 1meg*80 DRAM
are down to 10.00 per chip.  Oh BTW - for those of you with the ATI VGA Wonder
board - there is a problem with the board getting in sync with some monitors
at 31.5 due to excessive filtering which was added in order for the board to
get the OK from the FCC.  ATI is repairing the boards at no charge - only the
cost of shipping to Ontario (Canada).

Futher reading about X brings forth that fact that I *really* should have a
math co-processor to run X - now what would you get - 4 more megs of ram
(making 8 total) or a math co-processor (the 80387 would only be use with X)?

Serial IO with my hardware configuration (25mhz '386, 4 megs of RAM, Hostess
8 port dumb board, 16450 com1 board) under 386/ix isn't as fast as with SCO
Xenix (using the internal SCO distributed drivers) - but like I mentioned -
the file system is much faster.  I am having problems getting hardware flow
control working - and currently have the modems locked using only XON/
XOFF (USR HST 14.4kbaud carrier & Telebit T2000 are locked at 19.2kbaud, and
the Hayes V-Series (V.42) are locked (both of them) at 9600 baud).  All modems
support 1200/2400 and high speed connections.  With the above hardware under
SCO Xenix throughput was averaging 1430 (cps) on the PEP while 1640 on the
HST and 940 on the Hayes - but under 386/ix the throughput appears to be
around 60% of that when operating under SCO Xenix 2.3.3.  I plan on getting
a multiport board with 16550ANs and hopefully using the FIFO buffers can
get the throughput back up there under ISC - either that or picking up a cheap
smart multiport board that works with bi-directional communications.  I looked
into multiport smart boards a couple of months ago when running SCO Xenix
and never found one that had a driver that worked correctly under heavy bi-
directional communications (4 high speed modems all locked at 19.2kbaud and
using hardware flow control).  Maybe the Unix drivers work better than the
Xenix ones supplied with boards?  Another idea is using the X5 modifications
which according to the documentation support up to 16 serial ports and include
FIFO support of the 16550AN chips.  In the X5 docs they suggest using rotating
gettydefs for the incoming modems - which doesn't allow for "pushing"
throughput on error free connections - (up to 267 cps on 2400 baud MNP
connections), and 1450 on PEP connections.  Also, they (ISC) suggests turning
flow control OFF "since the modem DTE connection will be at that of the
carrier rate".   Why not use a single gettydef entry and let the modem handle
the "stepdown" to the carrier rate?

PC-NFS also sounds interesting - which I can run on my 286 Fidonet server -
either that or TCP/IP between the Unix and DOS boxes.

BTW - ISC VP/ix allows users to run multiple DOS tasks at one time in the
background (even with VGA).  Don't count on hot serial IO though, as I have
mentioned it is much slower in the native mode let alone with the additional
overhead of VP/ix.

I consider the serial IO throughput the major problem with ISC - but feel
that it can be handled - but still haven't found how.  Multiple 2400 baud
modems (4 to be exact) should work fine, but 4 9600 baud modems (let alone
4 19,200 baud modems) will overload the system - and connections will be
dropping characters like crazy.  Maybe this Computone (10 mhz 80186) will
work with the new drivers?  Or maybe a dumb card with multiple 16550AN's
will cut it with the FIFO's enabled?  Maybe Jim's driver is better than
the ISC X5 modification?   Over the next couple of months I should have some
answers on these questions.

I do miss the Xenix mail program - where I could use ~m and ~v to quote mail
- maybe I should install ELM under ix?  I wonder how ELM runs under X?

So far so good.  I'm happy to be running Unix again, and time will be the true
test.  I might need to sell my SCO if I need both the memory and the co-
processor (how does $325 sound for 2.3.2 (with 2.3.3 update) of the '386
release (5 months old)?

Regards to all, and the best of the Holiday Season to you and your family.

--
Larry Snyder, Northern Star Communications, Notre Dame, IN
uucp: root@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!root

paine@rust.dec.com (Willy Paine) (12/20/89)

In article <511090@nstar.UUCP> you write:

>Well - nstar is now back up and running under 386/ix.  It really was easier
>than I thought - expire everything in both the news and akcs message bases
>(this took several hours alone - btw, b-news expire using -e 0 doesn't expire

You should try C News which is really easy to install for 386/ix and C
News is much less problem than SCO B News.

>Unix System V is different than Xenix!  I must admit that the calls I've made
>to Bryan at ISC went well.  Bryan has answered my support calls with good
>solid information, and admits if he has to check into something more.
>Excellent support, indeed.   I did learn of the X7 update coming out that
>updates the mailer (sendmail).

Do you have email for Interactive Support?  I am totally deaf and I
don't use voice phone.  One time ISC gave me email for support but it
does not work at all.   I still have problem with stupid install.mail
and sendmail.cf.

I am still getting wrong sender's address (either uucp or root) instead
of true sender's name on all incomming uucp mail.  I am still looking
for help.   Xenix, SCO Unix and even DEC Ultrix are beautiful mailing
system.

>Sendmail is not handling mail to bbs users (addressed to akcs.larry@nstar)
>correctly.  When I was running smail - the mail was tossed using the transport
>file which isn't available with sendmail.  I need to get sendmail setup to
>handle messages addressed to akcs.larry@nstar to place the message in
>/user/akcs/.users/larry/mbox which seems very possible - maybe in sendmail.cf?
>If I can't get this running, I'll either need to install smail under 386/ix
>or replace akcs.  AKCS is one of the best BBS packages I have ever seen - and
>it's link into usenet is neat - and fast.  The threading is great, when you

I agree with you!

>I've been amazed that the Xenix versions of AKCS, support utilities, and
>news software all run just fine under 386/ix.  Xenix versions of ProYam

Interactive 386/ix version Yam is much better because this does fix
Function keys problem.  You can download from Chuck Forberg's board and
make new Yam through Xenix Yam.

>I've been told that nn is an excellent threaded news reader.  Does it run
>well under X?  I'm in the process of installing nn right now.

Yes.. I have one but I still prefer RN.

>Next project - order X-Windows.  Bryan @ ISC mentioned that the next release

You needs 4 extra megB of memory for X-windows.  My workstation at work
is using 24 megB of memory!!  This is not like MS Windows at all.
I like X because it can copy and paste on command and vi editor so I
will not have to retype very long name or email adress.

>I do miss the Xenix mail program - where I could use ~m and ~v to quote mail
>- maybe I should install ELM under ix?  I wonder how ELM runs under X?

Use mailx if you want ~v etc.  Elm is my favorite.  You must remember
that mail spooler is different.   Xenix/SCO Unix is using
/usr/spool/mail while ix is using /usr/mail.

>So far so good.  I'm happy to be running Unix again, and time will be the true
>test.  I might need to sell my SCO if I need both the memory and the co-

I have been using Xenix for four years include Xenix/AT and I am glad I
did not sell this at all.  Xenix is very reliable system but I have alot
of experience with System V and III in seven years experience that makes
me feeling clumsy on using Xenix.   I tried to use SCO Unix 3.2 and I
thought this is good system but this POSIX and C2 security makes BBS and
chat program and even development package little bit too rough.  In
fact, many GNU program does not work with SCO Unix.   Now I am using SCO
Unix in my working computer while I am running 386/ix on different
machine for bbs and usenet mail.  I still have serious mail header problem
(sendmail may be a big problem).

willy
.   Willy Paine                      BBS/FAX +1-206-822-4615   .
.   willyp@seaeast.WA.COM            FidoNet 1:343/15          .
.   uunet!nwnexus!seaeast!willyp     fungus.enet.dec.com!paine .
.   It takes less time to do a thing right than to explain     .
.   why you did it wrong  - Longfellow.                        .

asv@gaboon.UUCP (Stan Voket) (12/20/89)

In article <511090@nstar.UUCP> larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:

>If I can't get this running, I'll either need to install smail under 386/ix

     It's already there but by all means update to a current version with
     your own smail source.

>I consider the serial IO throughput the major problem with ISC - but feel
>that it can be handled - but still haven't found how.  Multiple 2400 baud

     I'm having a wonderful time with the Equinox Megaport board.  It handles
     bi-directional Telebit uucp at 19,200 very well.  Also, terminals,
     printers and mice.

>- maybe I should install ELM under ix?  I wonder how ELM runs under X?

     Elm works well with or without X.

| - Stan Voket, asv@gaboon - OR - ...uunet!hsi!stpstn!gaboon!asv       |
|               Land Line: (203) 746-4489  TELEX 4996516             - |

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (12/20/89)

Contact support@isd001 which is technical support in Hollis.

> Interactive 386/ix version Yam is much better because this does fix
> Function keys problem.  You can download from Chuck Forberg's board and
> make new Yam through Xenix Yam.

I called Telegodzilla and downloaded the ISC version of PROYAM, unsqueezed
it then installed the SNP - and the result is a program that works sometimes -
but for general use I still use the Xenix release of ProYam under ISC.
--
Larry Snyder, Northern Star Communications, Notre Dame, IN
uucp: root@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!root

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (12/20/89)

> >I've been told that nn is an excellent threaded news reader.  Does it run
> >well under X?  I'm in the process of installing nn right now.
>
> Yes.. I have one but I still prefer RN.

Does RN support threaded messages?  One thing about AKCS is that it doesn't
support cross-posted messages.

--

mike@antel.uucp (Michael Borza) (12/20/89)

In article <8912191952.AA12532@decwrl.dec.com> paine@rust.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:
>                        I still have problem with stupid install.mail
>and sendmail.cf.
>
>I am still getting wrong sender's address (either uucp or root) instead
>of true sender's name on all incomming uucp mail.  I am still looking
>for help.

Install.mail links /bin/mail.new to /bin/mail and /bin/lmail.  For some
reason I've not spent any time trying to figure out, /bin/mail.new spits
out the wrong sender's address, either uucp or root, as you point out.
I've found two solutions: rm /bin/mail and /bin/lmail then link
/bin/mail.old to /bin/mail and /bin/lmail; or install smail from source
and link /bin/mail.old to /bin/lmail.

mike borza.
--
Michael Borza              Antel Optronics Inc.
(416)335-5507              3325B Mainway, Burlington, Ont., Canada  L7M 1A6

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (12/21/89)

In article <511090@nstar.UUCP> larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
<
<I do miss the Xenix mail program - where I could use ~m and ~v to quote mail
<- maybe I should install ELM under ix?  I wonder how ELM runs under X?
<

Yes, bring up ELM under 386/ix.  I have it running under Microport 386 SysV
right now, but will be moving over to ISC 386/ix as soon as it arrives.
Compared to ELM, to me, every other user mail handler sucks.
--
                harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

In article <511090@nstar.UUCP> larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:

>Sendmail is not handling mail to bbs users (addressed to akcs.larry@nstar)
>correctly.  When I was running smail - the mail was tossed using the transport
>file which isn't available with sendmail.  I need to get sendmail setup to
>handle messages addressed to akcs.larry@nstar to place the message in
>/user/akcs/.users/larry/mbox which seems very possible - maybe in sendmail.cf?

Don't bother.  Throw it out and run smail 3.  We did that, and after a
little tweaking in the EDITME file it compiles and works just fine.  And it
really >is< a drop-in sendmail replacement, including the TCP/IP
connections!

Wonderful stuff :-)

>If I can't get this running, I'll either need to install smail under 386/ix
>or replace akcs.  AKCS is one of the best BBS packages I have ever seen - and
>it's link into usenet is neat - and fast.  The threading is great, when you
>go into a specific conference, messages are combined by topic instead of by
>message number this way for example all the messages relating to "SCO with
>RLL drives" are combined into one large item.  Not only is this easier to
>read, but doesn't require a single directory entry for each and every message,
>thus saving inodes which means that your drive's inode allocation will not
>need to be changed.  Karl has done an excellent job with AKCS.

Thanks for the kudo!  We don't often see stuff like this on the net :-)

>I've been amazed that the Xenix versions of AKCS, support utilities, and
>news software all run just fine under 386/ix.  Xenix versions of ProYam
>and utilities also run just fine.  I am wondering what additional overhead
>is required to run Xenix binaries under Unix if any.

Not much.  Xenix stuff seems to work just fine here too.  I didn't bother
recompiling the news software ("C" News); it still works ok.

>I've been told that nn is an excellent threaded news reader.  Does it run
>well under X?  I'm in the process of installing nn right now.

IMHO "nn" bites.  But some people do like it.  To each their own.

>Next project - order X-Windows.  Bryan @ ISC mentioned that the next release
>of X (due in a couple of weeks) will support my ATI VGA Wonder board in the
>800 by 600 mode - which will be welcome.  Now I need more memory - as 4
>megabytes will be "on the border" and 8 would be ideal.  At least 1meg*80 DRAM
>are down to 10.00 per chip.
>
>Futher reading about X brings forth that fact that I *really* should have a
>math co-processor to run X - now what would you get - 4 more megs of ram
>(making 8 total) or a math co-processor (the 80387 would only be use with X)?

GET THE MEMORY.  Even if you can't get the math chip.  Our 4MB system was
really bogging with news and all running -- with 8MB it >smokes<!

>PC-NFS also sounds interesting - which I can run on my 286 Fidonet server -
>either that or TCP/IP between the Unix and DOS boxes.

We have the ISC PC interface.  It's "ok", but not great.  I want to find a
place that has PC/NFS, and/or get an evaluation copy.

>I do miss the Xenix mail program - where I could use ~m and ~v to quote mail
>- maybe I should install ELM under ix?  I wonder how ELM runs under X?

Install ELM.  We don't have "X" yet (we're waiting for the new release) but
when it arrives....

>So far so good.  I'm happy to be running Unix again, and time will be the true
>test.  I might need to sell my SCO if I need both the memory and the co-
>processor (how does $325 sound for 2.3.2 (with 2.3.3 update) of the '386
>release (5 months old)?

On the other hand, my experience with ISC support is just so-so.  Brian has
not returned any of my phone calls (boo hiss).  We have a problem with NFS
which they say will be "fixed in the next release" -- even though it's a
one-line patch, and we NEED it (root mapping cannot be turned off in ISC's
NFS, and there is no tape server -- be wary of this if you intend to do
backups across the net as this currently appears to be IMPOSSIBLE!)

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]

paine@rust.dec.com (Willy Paine) (12/21/89)

>Contact support@isd001 which is technical support in Hollis.

Thank you!

>I called Telegodzilla and downloaded the ISC version of PROYAM, unsqueezed
>it then installed the SNP - and the result is a program that works sometimes -
>but for general use I still use the Xenix release of ProYam under ISC.

That is right.  With Xenix version, I have little problem with Function
keys but this work perfect for Xenix and SCO Unix 3.2.

NOW.. after recieving many mails from usenet and compuserve, I decide to
follow guy from Hawaii to delete all ISC mail junks: mail, mailx,
sendmail and lmail etc etc.  I install smail3 (I used from Karl's for
AKCS) and Elm and these work perfect but I am using /usr/spool/mail
instead of /usr/mail.  I used Xenix mail in too.   Now ACKS is back to
work on order!!   Guy from Hawaii is using Smail 2.5 package and this is
still good, even it is not working with AKCS.   Sendmail is popular
package for TCP/IP and I am using this for my work on DEC networking.  I
don't understand ISC is making another errors on installation, like what
ISC did last time with asy problem.

I warn you that I heard that ISC is working on next version using POSIX
standard and C1 Security and these may be another SCO Unix headache!!
C1 Security makes chat program disabled.

Thanks!

willy

p.s.  All Thanks to all usenet people for sending mail to me and I give
you a very Merry Christmas and Happy 1990.

In article <511097@nstar.UUCP> you write:

>> Yes.. I have one but I still prefer RN.
>
>Does RN support threaded messages?  One thing about AKCS is that it doesn't
>support cross-posted messages.

I don't know exact about threaded but I think works like threaded
message.   ON my opinion, NN has design problem.  There is alot of
errors that I can not get previous unread message back.  I use "=" on RN
to make list of title on each newsgroup.  NN is just another good news
reading program....

Yes, I recall!!  NN is not compatible with RN on reading .newsrc and
that is good reason that I just stay with RN all the time.  If NN and RN
share with .newsrc, I would take both.

I hope this answer you!  NN is very easy to be compiled.

In article <8912202217.AA24308@decwrl.dec.com> paine@rust.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:
>>Contact support@isd001 which is technical support in Hollis.
>>
>Thank you!
>
>>I called Telegodzilla and downloaded the ISC version of PROYAM, unsqueezed
>>it then installed the SNP - and the result is a program that works sometimes -
>>but for general use I still use the Xenix release of ProYam under ISC.
>
>That is right.  With Xenix version, I have little problem with Function
>keys but this work perfect for Xenix and SCO Unix 3.2.
>
>NOW.. after recieving many mails from usenet and compuserve, I decide to
>follow guy from Hawaii to delete all ISC mail junks: mail, mailx,
>sendmail and lmail etc etc.  I install smail3 (I used from Karl's for
>AKCS) and Elm and these work perfect but I am using /usr/spool/mail
>instead of /usr/mail.  I used Xenix mail in too.   Now ACKS is back to
>work on order!!   Guy from Hawaii is using Smail 2.5 package and this is
>still good, even it is not working with AKCS.   Sendmail is popular
>package for TCP/IP and I am using this for my work on DEC networking.  I
>don't understand ISC is making another errors on installation, like what
>ISC did last time with asy problem.

Look in /usr/lib/smail/routers, transports, & directors.  You should find a
definition for the local user there.  Change the directory.

Presto! :-)

Smail 3 can also be compiled for tcp/ip networking.  If you do this, it is a
drop-in sendmail replacement.  100%.  We did it here, had to hack on it a
bit, but it works and works well.  Cooking with Gas!

The best part is that you can actually understand the configuration files :-)

>I warn you that I heard that ISC is working on next version using POSIX
>standard and C1 Security and these may be another SCO Unix headache!!
>C1 Security makes chat program disabled.

Oh yuck.  I hope that can at least be turned off.  ISC is just fine from
that position as it is.  And I >love< the filesystem speed.

--

thurm@shorty.cs.wisc.edu (Matthew Thurmaier) (12/23/89)

In article <340@vidiot.UUCP> brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
>[stuff deleted]
>Compared to ELM, to me, every other user mail handler sucks.
>--
>                harvard\     att!nicmad\
>Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown
>                rutgers/  decvax!nicmad/
>        ARPA/INTERNET: <@spool.cs.wisc.edu,@astroatc:brown@vidiot>

I've never tried ELM - that I know of.  However, have YOU tried the mail
interface on SCO's Office Portfolio.  It's GREAT!  Chose your editor, uses
menus, great stuff.

Later,
Matthew.
--
Snail Mail:                                 E Mail:
Matthew J. Thurmaier                ...decvax!garp!harvard!uwvax!thurm

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (12/24/89)

In article <9440@spool.cs.wisc.edu> thurm@shorty.cs.wisc.edu (Matthew Thurmaier) writes:
<In article <340@vidiot.UUCP> brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
<>[stuff deleted]
<>Compared to ELM, to me, every other user mail handler sucks.
<
<I've never tried ELM - that I know of.  However, have YOU tried the mail
<interface on SCO's Office Portfolio.  It's GREAT!  Chose your editor, uses
<menus, great stuff.

Exactly what ELM has and then some.  If you haven't run ELM, you just haven't
run!
--

pax@ankh.COM (Garry M. Paxinos) (12/25/89)

In article <1989Dec20.184947.3562@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:

   On the other hand, my experience with ISC support is just so-so.  Brian has
   not returned any of my phone calls (boo hiss).  We have a problem with NFS
   which they say will be "fixed in the next release" -- even though it's a
   one-line patch, and we NEED it (root mapping cannot be turned off in ISC's
   NFS, and there is no tape server -- be wary of this if you intend to do
   backups across the net as this currently appears to be IMPOSSIBLE!)

Inelegant but not impossible, I just remote mount the disks on the machine
with a tape drive and backup from there...
--
Internet :  home - pax@ankh.ftl.fl.us   work : pax@megasys.com
USNail   :  3868 NW 21 Ct.  Coconut Creek, Fl 33066

cassidy@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Cassidy Lynar) (12/25/89)

In article <511090@nstar.UUCP> larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:

>Excellent support, indeed.   I did learn of the X7 update coming out that
>updates the mailer (sendmail).

	If you want a REAL mailer, get a copy of smail3, as ISC's mailers
are hosed and half-baked... I switched to smail3 about 3 months ago, and all
is well...

>I've been told that nn is an excellent threaded news reader.  Does it run
>well under X?  I'm in the process of installing nn right now.

	Works just dandy over here... make sure you do have the lastest of
patches tho, as I had problems with anything under patch 6, in which the
daemon was from time to time crashing. NN also uses a large amount of disk
space to build it's tables.

>Next project - order X-Windows.  Bryan @ ISC mentioned that the next release
>of X (due in a couple of weeks) will support my ATI VGA Wonder board in the

	Humph! Why spend 800.00 on X11 when you can get the sources and build
it yourself? ISC has a wonderful ability to take free sources, hack and screw
it up, then turn around and charge you a great deal of money for it.

>Futher reading about X brings forth that fact that I *really* should have a
>math co-processor to run X - now what would you get - 4 more megs of ram
>(making 8 total) or a math co-processor (the 80387 would only be use with X)?

	Personally, I would go for 4 more megs of ram.

>I consider the serial IO throughput the major problem with ISC - but feel
>that it can be handled - but still haven't found how.  Multiple 2400 baud

	Alas, ISC *still* has yet to fix the bugs in the asy driver. My TB
averages 600 - 800 *tops* using during transfers. I have the X5 update in use
but it was only a minor help. One of these days, ISC *may* figure out how to
build a driver that works :)

>- maybe I should install ELM under ix?  I wonder how ELM runs under X?

	Elm 2.2 is what I am running, and its great under X11.

>test.  I might need to sell my SCO if I need both the memory and the co-
>processor (how does $325 sound for 2.3.2 (with 2.3.3 update) of the '386
>release (5 months old)?

	Hehe, anybody want to buy a 25 Mhz 386 w/4 megs ram and the full
ISC 2.0.2 package? (Unlimited run-time, X11, TCP/IP, SD, 10 Plus crap,
the list goes on...) I am getting a *real* os, (Sun 3/80 w/SunOS 4.0.3)
I have had it with the poor service and lousey track record of ISC.
Bryan? You reading this? Where the hell are my floppies? Its been 3 weeks
now... sheesh!

>Regards to all, and the best of the Holiday Season to you and your family.

	Same to you, and everyone else.. Have a Merry Christmas.

-cassidy

Cassidy Lynar	   CyberSpace TechnoWizards Consortium, Inc  Irving, Texas
Inet: texbell!walstib!sysop@cs.utexas.edu
UUCP: sysop@walstib.lonestar.org

In article <269@ankh.COM> pax@ankh.COM (Garry M. Paxinos) writes:
>In article <1989Dec20.184947.3562@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>
>   On the other hand, my experience with ISC support is just so-so.  Brian has
>   not returned any of my phone calls (boo hiss).  We have a problem with NFS
>   which they say will be "fixed in the next release" -- even though it's a
>   one-line patch, and we NEED it (root mapping cannot be turned off in ISC's
>   NFS, and there is no tape server -- be wary of this if you intend to do
>   backups across the net as this currently appears to be IMPOSSIBLE!)
>
>Inelegant but not impossible, I just remote mount the disks on the machine
>with a tape drive and backup from there...

With ISC 2.0.2, eh?

How do you handle the fact that your root isn't root on the other
filesystems?  That is, you can't read the files!

The fix is to patch "nobody" in the kernel to 0 instead of -2.  That works.
Thanks to the unnamed person (by his request) who provided the hint.

Then it works.  Thank the Gods.

Now if the lock daemon would function.......

--

james@raid.dell.com (James Van Artsdalen) (12/28/89)

In <8912191952.AA12532@decwrl.dec.com>, paine@rust.dec.com (Willy Paine) wrote:

> I am still getting wrong sender's address (either uucp or root) instead
> of true sender's name on all incomming uucp mail.  I am still looking
> for help.   Xenix, SCO Unix and even DEC Ultrix are beautiful mailing
> system.

> I still have serious mail header problem (sendmail may be a big
> problem).

Do "strings /bin/rmail" and look and see if you can find anything that
looks like "-f%s".  If you can't, and /bin/rmail is handing mail to
sendmail for delivery, then /bin/rmail is the problem.  If sendmail is
not presented the -f switch, it assumes that the user who ran sendmail
is the sender.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james@raid.dell.com       "Live Free or Die"
Dell Computer Corporation  9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759  512-338-8789

pcg@rupert.cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) (12/29/89)

In article <PCG.89Dec28225254@rupert.cs.aber.ac.uk> pcg@rupert.cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:

   In article <1989Dec25.040854.9409@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

      You get X sources, yes.  But who is gonna port the server? The x source tape
      does not include a server for 386 machines/hardware, so it is not just a
      case of dropping in the software and running.

      Don't recommend something to somebody else when you don't know the first
      thing about what you are talking about.  Telling somebody to get the
      X sources and do the port themselves will wast alot more than $800 dollars
      worth of thier time.

   Uh oh. The ISC X11 *libraries* (their so called developer's set)
   cost $795. The *server* costs $295.  From ISC just get the
   server, which is very well done (has a reputation for being the
   fastest around), and get the libraries and toolkits and clients
   off the X11 servers or tapes and compile them -- you are likely
   to get a more recent and more up-to-date version than ISC's.

How embarassing! :-> Ten minutes after posting this to comp.sys.ibm.pc
I read the following in comp.windows.x:

	From rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU Thu Dec 28 23:10:22 1989
	From: rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler)
	Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
	Subject: Re: x11r4 will I be able to build it for aix386/ps2 ...
	Date: 22 Dec 89 17:04:28 GMT

	The R4 server is supposed to build and run on the PS/2 under AIX for
	VGA and 8514 displays.

Another article also confirms that the new b&w and color PD
servers are much faster (I have read that *professional* tuning
has been done, with loads of profiling and hard thinking).

Which more or less makes it. Even if the only 386 Unix support on
the X11 R4 tape is for PS/2 under AIX, I am pretty sure sombody
will soon post mods to have it run under any stock 5.3.2 Unix. It
will not be difficult to do...  (and, please :->, using a stream
implementation or shared memory for local connections -- there
are those of us that do not have TCP/IP packages).
--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

jiii@visdc.UUCP (John E Van Deusen III) (01/02/90)

In article <1989Dec20.184947.3562@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@mcs.MCS.COM
(Karl Denninger) writes:

> ...Throw it [sendmail] out and run smail 3.  We did that, and ...
> it really >is< a drop-in sendmail replacement, including the TCP/IP
> connections!

I pulled smail3 from the UUNET archives,
uunet~/ftp/comp.sources.unix/volume11/smail3/part0[123].Z, and it's not
smail 3 at all; it's smail 2.5.  If smail2.5 is called smail3, what is
smail 3 called?  Have I entered the Twilight Zone?
--
John E Van Deusen III, PO Box 9283, Boise, ID  83707, (208) 343-1865

uunet!visdc!jiii