[comp.unix.i386] X-Windows 11.3 1.0

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (01/01/90)

I just installed X 11.3 1.0 (from ISC) with 2.02 and when trying to bring
up X - I get "TCP Socket:: No such file or directory" - and I am not
running TCP/IP (It is not installed on this machine).

--
Larry Snyder, Northern Star Communications, Notre Dame, IN
uucp: root@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!root

jackv@turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (01/02/90)

In article <511112@nstar.UUCP> larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>I just installed X 11.3 1.0 (from ISC) with 2.02 and when trying to bring
>up X - I get "TCP Socket:: No such file or directory" - and I am not
>running TCP/IP (It is not installed on this machine).

This message is normal when running using the streams package rather than
TCP/IP and is completely innocuous. Does your server still come up and
run, if so then don't sweat it, if not then something else is the problem.

Happy New Year!

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (01/02/90)

>I just installed X 11.3 1.0 (from ISC) with 2.02 and when trying to bring
>up X - I get "TCP Socket:: No such file or directory" - and I am not
>running TCP/IP (It is not installed on this machine).

As long as you have STREAMS running and X boots, Ignore the eroor. From what
I gather X needs EITHER TCP/IP or STREAMS , and will work fine with that
error.

At least mine does!

"Perfume and leather baby , you and me together baby,
  what good is living in paradise, if you don't let yourself once or twice."
 -Tiffany

 Kenneth J. Jamieson ---- THE BOSS at Xanadu Enterprises Inc.
      UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568