[comp.unix.i386] Are UW?

arasmith@mathcs.emory.edu (David Arasmith) (01/02/90)

In article <-NXN9ficc@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) responds
to my question:
>> I never saw any response about uw for the 386.  Any ideas on where I
>> should ask?
>
>In alphabetical order:
>	comp.sys.amiga
>	comp.sys.atari.st
>	comp.sys.mac
>
>Problem is that uw is heavy in sockets, and there's no standard pty on
>System V that works like the BSD one. And people into System V tend to
>want 386 clones at home, too.

Perhaps the uw server is heavy on sockets, but I know that does not have
to be the case with the client.  My reasoning:  I am using uw even as I type
from my Unixpc (stock sys V r2.something).  This version was written by
a friendly unixpc hacker at caltech, but it relies heavily on the Unixpc's
resident window manager.  I was also doing some work on a client for the above
machine; Andy just got it done first.
  Bottom line: I know it can be done with just sysV ipc.  I just don't have
the time, nor the knowledge (yet) of 386 architecture to hack one myself
presently.  It would really be groovy if someone has already done this work!

>The other problem with uw is that it's a logical subset of PPP, and people
>are waiting for Godot.
>
>If anyone has it, I want it too.
What's PPP, or, for that matter, Godot?  Are these other methods of
multiplexing a serial line?  (Is this the dumbest question of the new year?)

--
David M. Arasmith   |  arasmith@mathcs.emory.edu	        Internet
Emory University    |  {sun!sunatl,gatech}!emory!arasmith	UUCP

Ok, to me the client is the guy running on the host.

The server is the display. I finally got programmed with X/NeWS terminology.

So, is it bass ackwards for UW?

> What's PPP, or, for that matter, Godot?  Are these other methods of
> multiplexing a serial line?  (Is this the dumbest question of the new year?)

No, the dumbest question of the new year was me asking someone if an article
originally posted to alt.flame (I think) was a forgery.

PPP -- Point to Point Protocol. Sucessor to SLIP. Basically it's a space
efficient way of packing TCP/IP traffic on a serial line so you can open
Telnet and FTP and NNTP and whatever else sessions over a modem.

Mucho cooler.
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
 'U`  Also <peter@ficc.lonestar.org> or <peter@sugar.lonestar.org>.

tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) (01/03/90)

In article <4820@emory.mathcs.emory.edu> arasmith@emory.UUCP (David Arasmith) writes:
>In article <-NXN9ficc@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) responds
>to my question:
>>The other problem with uw is that it's a logical subset of PPP, and people
>>are waiting for Godot.
>What's PPP, or, for that matter, Godot?  Are these other methods of
>multiplexing a serial line?  (Is this the dumbest question of the new year?)

GoDot (S. Beckett Software) is an idle daemon that chews up all the
available time on your system.  Execution is halted when you log in to the
'godot' account (password: endgame).

GoDot consists of two processes that send messages back and forth checking
to see if 'godot' has logged in.  This design was done to insure that no
cycle goes wasted.

Oh, yes. :-).

Thomas V. Frauenhofer	...!rutgers!rochester!cci632!ccird7!tvf *or*
...!attctc!swamps!frau!tvf (tvf@frau, tvf@cci632)	Daffy Duck Sings:
"I once knew an acrobat's daughter who swung by her teeth from a noose. 'Til
one day her bridgework gave way, and she flew through the air like a Goose!"