[comp.unix.i386] getty replacement

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (12/31/89)

I also have some funny modems that do NOT support the Hayes AT&W command.

I would LIKE to be able to send some command to them every time the getty is
respawned after a user logs in so that I can set up some parameters that get
re-set to default when the user hangs up .. so I need something like

  getty -t60 -sfoo /dev/ttyd1

where the '-sfoo' is the name of a script file of some type.

Thanks!

"Perfume and leather baby , you and me together baby,
  what good is living in paradise, if you don't let yourself once or twice."
 -Tiffany

 Kenneth J. Jamieson ---- THE BOSS at Xanadu Enterprises Inc.
      UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (12/31/89)

In article <259cff98:549comp.unix.i386@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) writes:
: I would LIKE to be able to send some command to them every time the getty is
: respawned after a user logs in so that I can set up some parameters that get
: re-set to default when the user hangs up .. so I need something like
:
:   getty -t60 -sfoo /dev/ttyd1
:
: where the '-sfoo' is the name of a script file of some type.

You mean a script like the one for uucp? Or did you just want to
send some special commands and not worry about how the modem
responds?

If the latter, you can, with my soon to be released getty,
specify an alternate /etc/issue file. If the former, you are
probably out of luck.

---
bill@twwells.com

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (01/01/90)

>If the latter, you can, with my soon to be released getty,
>specify an alternate /etc/issue file. If the former, you are
>probably out of luck.

That will do nicely.

Actually no , it wont. This would happen AFTEr the getty ran , but before CD
went high since this has to happen BEFORE the connect.

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (01/01/90)

In article <259ea868:549.2comp.unix.i386;1@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) writes:
: >If the latter, you can, with my soon to be released getty,
: >specify an alternate /etc/issue file. If the former, you are
: >probably out of luck.
:
: That will do nicely.
:
: Actually no , it wont. This would happen AFTEr the getty ran , but before CD
: went high since this has to happen BEFORE the connect.

As I recall, you have two (or more?) devices for talking to a
given modem line. One waits for CD; the other doesn't. Assuming
that that is what you have, try this: create a getty script,
something like:

{                                       # send commands to the modem
	echo "whatever"
	echo "more"
} >/dev/tty-ignore-CD
exec /etc/getty /dev/tty-wait-for-CD    # run the real getty

and run that from your inittab instead of the regular getty.

There is one way this might fail. If, after the echos, DTR is
dropped, that might make the modem reinitialize itself. If that
is the case, you can move the exec into the braces. That will
work with my getty; it may work with the standard one.

---
bill@twwells.com

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (01/02/90)

HMM...

>As I recall, you have two (or more?) devices for talking to a
>given modem line. One waits for CD; the other doesn't. Assuming
>that that is what you have, try this: create a getty script,
>something like:
>
>{                                       # send commands to the modem
>	echo "whatever"
>	echo "more"
>} >/dev/tty-ignore-CD
>exec /etc/getty /dev/tty-wait-for-CD    # run the real getty
>
>and run that from your inittab instead of the regular getty.
>
>There is one way this might fail. If, after the echos, DTR is
>dropped, that might make the modem reinitialize itself. If that
>is the case, you can move the exec into the braces. That will
>work with my getty; it may work with the standard one.

I like it ! , I will play with it tues. and summarize results.

"Perfume and leather baby , you and me together baby,
  what good is living in paradise, if you don't let yourself once or twice."
 -Tiffany

 Kenneth J. Jamieson ---- THE BOSS at Xanadu Enterprises Inc.
      UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568

paul@actrix.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (01/06/90)

In article <259cff98:549comp.unix.i386@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) writes:

I have 386/ix 2.0.2 without the X5 update (yet).  I just tossed away
getty and uugetty, and replaced it with a neat program called modem,
which I found in the SIMTEL archives.  It was very easy to port to
ISC 386/ix, and has the following features:
1) full modem init. strings
2) speed sensing using modem's CONNECT string
3) co-operates with cu, ct and uucico locks
4) inactivity timer to force off users
5) automatic periodic ps-f for each user
6) log file of user logins

I won't post it, because I have to pay extra for e-mail.  Try your
local archive site.
--
Paul Gillingwater, paul@actrix.co.nz