[comp.unix.i386] Installation of Wangtek tape drive for AT&T 3.2.1 Unix

nduong@rhea.trl.oz.au (Nguyen Duong - Integrated Communication Services) (12/28/89)

Can somebody tell me how to add a Wangtek tape to AT&T 3.2.1? The manuals
seem to suggest that support for that device is built in. However a search
through the /dev directory shows that the device special files are not
there. The command tapecntl (referred to in the User's/System
administrator's reference manual) is nowhere to be found. If I have to
mknod then what are the major and minor device number that I have to use?
Do I have to rebuild the kernel?  How do I tell the system of the irq
for the tape drive?

Please post or email to nduong@rhea.trl.oz.au
Thanks
N.Duong,
Telecom Research Labs.

randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) (12/29/89)

In article <891@trlluna.trl.oz> nduong@rhea.trl.oz.au (Nguyen Duong - Integrated Communication Services) writes:

>Can somebody tell me how to add a Wangtek tape to AT&T 3.2.1? The manuals
>seem to suggest that support for that device is built in. However a search
>through the /dev directory shows that the device special files are not
>there.
>N.Duong,
>Telecom Research Labs.

	Unlike other 386 UNIXs, AT&T requires you to purchase as a
	seperate product everything you need to use the system.
	One of those is the "Cartridge Tape Utilities".  Now, another
	nice thing is that the driver only supports AT&T's version of
	the Wangtek controller.  Same with mice.  You need to buy
	the mouse driver disk, and it only supports AT&T's 3 button
	bus mouse (actually, a Logitech mouse).
	I have used the wt drivers from i386 to run a generic Wantek
	tape drive under AT&T, but it is not fun.

	Switching to i386 was well worth the expense.

	-randy

--
Randy Suess
randy@chinet.chi.il.us

plocher@sally.Sun.COM (John Plocher) (01/07/90)

+-- In <1989Dec28.173900.6240@chinet.chi.il.us> Randy Suess writes
| 	Unlike other 386 UNIXs, AT&T requires you to purchase as a
| 	seperate product everything you need to use the system.
| 	One of those is the "Cartridge Tape Utilities".  Now, another
| 	nice thing is that the driver only supports AT&T's version of
| 	the Wangtek controller.  Same with mice.  You need to buy
+--

Sorry Randy, the ATT "versions" of the mouse and the tape controller
are the same as the retail versions sans ATT labels.  The Tape driver
works well with the Bell Tech, Wangtek, and Everex tape drives; the
Bus mouse driver works well with the Logitech hardware.  There
are no "Bell Tech - like gotcha's" in the ATT code.

Yes, they distribute the drivers with the hardware, but the disks can
be ordered seperately.

   -John Plocher