[comp.unix.i386] logging on as root on other than /dev/console

paul@actrix.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (01/06/90)

In article <39@guug.UUCP> ott@guug.UUCP (Joachim Ott) writes:
>i have done this once for microport unix: find out the address of the string
>'not on system console' in the data segment (use 'hd' and a calculator);
>find out where this address is pushl'ed (to printf) - use 'dis'; shortly
>after the printf-call is the exit-call - replace it with nop's (write your
>own program). After this you can login as root from anywhere.

Gack!  What's wrong with commenting out the line

CONSOLE=/dev/console

in /etc/default/login?
--
Paul Gillingwater, paul@actrix.co.nz

In article <1990Jan6.062148.8587@actrix.co.nz>, paul@actrix.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) writes:
> In article <39@guug.UUCP> ott@guug.UUCP (Joachim Ott) writes:
>>    [complicated method to patch binaries deleted]

> Gack!  What's wrong with commenting out the line
>
> CONSOLE=/dev/console
>
> in /etc/default/login?

Because this only fixes login. The original posting was about rlogin.
The rlogin program in 2.0.2 and before does not use /etc/default/login.

ken@metaware.metaware.com (ken) (01/08/90)

In article <1990Jan6.062148.8587@actrix.co.nz> paul@actrix.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) writes:
>In article <39@guug.UUCP> ott@guug.UUCP (Joachim Ott) writes:
>
>Gack!  What's wrong with commenting out the line
>
>CONSOLE=/dev/console
>
>in /etc/default/login?

In 3.1 or 3.2 that is the best way to do it. Microport UNIX is a 3.0 and it does
not have a /etc/default support.
--
Ken

marc@CLIK.QC.CA (Marc Boucher) (01/09/90)

In article <1990Jan6.062148.8587@actrix.co.nz> paul@actrix.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) writes:
>In article <39@guug.UUCP> ott@guug.UUCP (Joachim Ott) writes:
>>i have done this once for microport unix: find out the address of the string
>>'not on system console' in the data segment (use 'hd' and a calculator);
>>find out where this address is pushl'ed (to printf) - use 'dis'; shortly
>>after the printf-call is the exit-call - replace it with nop's (write your
>>own program). After this you can login as root from anywhere.
>
>Gack!  What's wrong with commenting out the line
>
>CONSOLE=/dev/console
>
>in /etc/default/login?
	nope. we were talking about the rlogin to root problem. /etc/netlogin
doesn't use /etc/default/login.

Marc Boucher, sys/netadm @ CLIK Telematique Inc - marc@clik.qc.ca
5144668932_home 5149337161_clik 5149332164_fax  - Postmaster@clik.qc.ca