[comp.unix.i386] Need some Help with MegaPort for ISC

paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) (01/04/90)

I am little bit confused on two different instructions and I am using
Unix Device Driver v1.7.1.  It looks simple without asking any interrupt
vector but I could not get ttyaA to work.   I did disable all com1 and
com2 to allow MegaPort to use com1 and com2.  I did put "N" in
/etc/conf/sdevice.d/asy.

After building kernel and rebooting, I am getting:
Megaport Board ICP=80EB000, MEM=80E8000, vec=0 not found [ECH]

I have Compaq using disk cache and inside instruction, it said to use
80E80000 instead of E80000.   I have 9 megB of memory.  I am using ISC
2.0.2 with Upgrade 5X.  I have MegaPort 24 ports.

I did try to add ttyaA in Devices and fix inittab to use uugetty and
gettydefs for Telebit.   But it does not work.  I want to rid of old com1
and com2 serial so I can use VP/ix and serial port mouse under com1 and
com2 using with MegaPort.   After turn on inittab, I am getting error
6a.

Can  you please help me with setting up MegaPort include building,
rebooting, inittab to use with uugetty, and uucp setup (Devices,
Dialers, etc)?

Thanks in advanced!

willy

p.s.  I am totally deaf and please do not drop voice phone for me
<grin>.   I am going to figure it out how to contact tech support.

In article <9001040323.AA27970@decwrl.dec.com>, paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:
> After building kernel and rebooting, I am getting:
> Megaport Board ICP=80EB000, MEM=80E8000, vec=0 not found [ECH]

I had the same exact problem on an AMI 33MHZ system.  I took out every other
board in the system (other than basic monochrome display and a disk adapter)
and the problem did not go away.  I configured the card into 3 different
locations (2 > 1M and 1 < 1M) and still came up with the same results.  I took
the card and placed it into another machine and it configured fine.  I then
took the disk drive, controller and display adapter from the second machine
and put them into the first machine and the card would not configure.

I have gotten a second card and have not yet had a chance to try it out. I
should get to try it tonight or else some time this weekend.

jlg@odicon.UUCP (John L. Grzesiak) (01/06/90)

In article <9001040323.AA27970@decwrl.dec.com>, paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:

> After building kernel and rebooting, I am getting:
> Megaport Board ICP=80EB000, MEM=80E8000, vec=0 not found [ECH]
> 2.0.2 with Upgrade 5X.  I have MegaPort 24 ports.

Since your Compaq caches (I know , I know , It doesn't cache i/o accesses)
 memory access, you should place the board below the 1 meg boundary. This
 is due to the fact that the Megaport uses no i/o address. It's all a
 modified dual/port memory & poll driver. As I understand it the driver
 wakes up after a certain number of clock cycles and services the board.
 I have also tested the driver and find that the more it's loaded the
 shorter the sleep period. I haven't been able to overload this board yet.
 It also doesn't use interupt overhead or context switches for service,
 since the CPU is already in Kernel due to clock interupt. In all a real
 savings in overhead. If you can't get the Dialers code worked out, send
 e-mail and I'll send my Dialer entries (Including a Telebit entry).

	* John Grzesiak @ Omega Dynamics :  Specializing in UNIX/XENIX    *
	* Meriden Ct USA                 :    Consulting . . .            *
        * jlg@odicon or spock!odicon!jlg : gaboon!odicon!jlg              *

garyb@crpmks.UUCP (Gary Blumenstein) (01/12/90)

In article <283@odicon.UUCP> jlg@odicon.UUCP (John L. Grzesiak) writes:
>In article <9001040323.AA27970@decwrl.dec.com>, paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:
>>
>> After building kernel and rebooting, I am getting:
>> Megaport Board ICP=80EB000, MEM=80E8000, vec=0 not found [ECH]
>> 2.0.2 with Upgrade 5X.  I have MegaPort 24 ports.
>
> since the CPU is already in Kernel due to clock interupt. In all a real
> savings in overhead. If you can't get the Dialers code worked out, send
> e-mail and I'll send my Dialer entries (Including a Telebit entry).

I've had no trouble using the Dialers entry that comes with the X5 update.
For Xenix, DialTBIT works as well.  The trick is using the right cable.
I use your basic 6 lead modular RJ11 cable and a DB25 adapter that Equinox
supplies.  The pinouts for this adapter are documented in the manual.

On the loading, does anyone know when or if Neal Nelson has released the
i/o board benchmarks?  I'm curious to know how well this board stacks up
with an indpendent set of benchmarks.