[comp.unix.i386] Exabyte or other big tape on 386/ix

tbray@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Tim Bray) (01/09/90)

We need to pump a *lot* of data (100s of Mb) back and forth to the disks
on our 386/ix (R2.0.2) system.  There are starting to be some excellent
deals on digital tape technology from Exabyte and others.  Anybody have
any of these running on 386/ix?  Whose?  How's it work?

Tim Bray,
New Oxford English Dictionary Project
 -and-
Open Text Systems
Waterloo, Ont. (519)746-8288, tbray@watsol.waterloo.edu

mark@zok.UUCP (Mark W. Snitily) (01/10/90)

In article <19590@watdragon.waterloo.edu> tbray@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Tim Bray) writes:
>We need to pump a *lot* of data (100s of Mb) back and forth to the disks
>on our 386/ix (R2.0.2) system.  There are starting to be some excellent
>deals on digital tape technology from Exabyte and others.  Anybody have
>any of these running on 386/ix?  Whose?  How's it work?

Rumor has it that ISC will support the Exabyte in the soon to be released
386/ix 2.2 (last I heard, due out 1-Feb-90).  Anyone from ISC care to
comment?

-- Mark

Mark W. Snitily                 Consulting Services:
894 Brookgrove Lane             Graphics, Operating Systems, Compilers
Cupertino, CA 95014             (408) 252-0456
mark@zok.uucp

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (01/10/90)

Weall, I saw an Exabyte (Perfect Byte, I think) running on one of their
machines at ISC's Cambridge offices about 9 or so months ago.  (Hey, I was
on a social call!)  At that time, the driver was under development.
I don't know what the official word is or anything about its status
as a product or a non-product.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

support@ism780c.isc.com (Support account) (01/13/90)

In article <402@zok.UUCP> mark@zok.UUCP (Mark W. Snitily) writes:
>Rumor has it that ISC will support the Exabyte in the soon to be released
>386/ix 2.2 (last I heard, due out 1-Feb-90).  Anyone from ISC care to
>comment?

From the 386/ix V2.2 Release Notes:

"Support for Adaptec SCSI host adapters now allows Exabyte EXB-8200
DAT (2.3 gigabyte) tape drives to be used with the 386/ix system."

We are also currently testing Wangtek DATs, which appear to
be fully functional.

This release is now scheduled to ship in early April, 1990.

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (01/13/90)

In article <38038@ism780c.isc.com>, support@ism780c.isc.com (Support  account) writes:
> This release is now scheduled to ship in early April, 1990.

What other items will be added/fixed in 2.2?

                uucp: larry@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry

In article <511137@nstar.UUCP> larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>In article <38038@ism780c.isc.com>, support@ism780c.isc.com (Support  account) writes:
>> This release is now scheduled to ship in early April, 1990.
>
>What other items will be added/fixed in 2.2?

And along those lines, how much will the update cost?

We're interested, but one thing that really gets under my skin (regardless
of who the vendor is) is when a company has a "60 day" update policy, and
then slips the ship date a couple of times -- with the result being that we
don't get the update that we would otherwise receive at no charge.....

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (01/15/90)

> We're interested, but one thing that really gets under my skin (regardless
> of who the vendor is) is when a company has a "60 day" update policy, and
> then slips the ship date a couple of times -- with the result being that we
> don't get the update that we would otherwise receive at no charge.....

On another note, ISC is supposed to be shipping the LPI ANSI C compiler with
the ISC 2.02 development system (it is included in the original price) affectiveJan 1.  I wonder if they are indeed shipping the LPI compiler along with the
standard AT&T/ISC compiler?  Also, I wonder if both compilers can be installed
and run side-by-side?
                uucp: larry@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry

richard@pegasus.uucp (Richard Foulk) (01/15/90)

>From the 386/ix V2.2 Release Notes:
>
>"Support for Adaptec SCSI host adapters now allows Exabyte EXB-8200
>DAT (2.3 gigabyte) tape drives to be used with the 386/ix system."

Since when did Exabyte start making DAT drives?  The ones I've seen
use 8mm video cassettes.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.uucp
			richard%pegasus.uucp@nosc.mil